aaa New Synth or Sampler? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: New Synth or Sampler?

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             31-Aug-01  @  05:20 AM   -   Next piece of equipment?

Lucid

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

HEy there guys, I got a question for you. I'm pretty new to the recording thing, and I'm not sure where to go next. I just bought a synth (OB-12, love it! Doesnt deserve the bad wrap it's gotten.) and I am thinking about what I'm going to buy next.
I have been looking at an AKAI CD3000, but I dont know.
Or should I get a Good Soundcard like the Luna II?
I already have Reason and CuBase VST along with just about every other softsynth/sampler out there.
Or should I go for another synth? Thats probably not the thing I will do, but I would like your advice.
OR, should I get a drum machine?
And if you think of something different, please let me know, I'm kinda stuck right now, and your advice is appriciated.
Thanks!

-Mike
Peace!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             31-Aug-01  @  01:32 PM   -   RE: New Synth or Sampler?

john.walsh

Link?:  No link

I can't believe the first thing you bought was an oberheim! If you have that much money to just go out and buy a ob12 as the FIRST thing you're going to buy ... i'm speechless. I am without speech.

Buy a sampler and soundcard. And i guess price is not really that much of a problem so go absolutely nuts and buy the best you can find.

Buy a mpc.. they are horribly overpriced but they cut the rug in a acceptable fashion. Drums are thereby taken care of.

Message 3/9             01-Sep-01  @  08:48 PM   -   RE: New Synth or Sampler?

nothingnewhere

Link?: Link

yeah a mpc would be good if you think the OB-12 will handle all of your synth needs.

Message 4/9             04-Sep-01  @  08:06 PM   -   RE: New Synth or Sampler?

Pongoid

E4 platinum. you have the loot.

Message 5/9             07-Sep-01  @  02:02 PM   -   RE: New Synth or Sampler?

k

No... i'd seriously think about going s/w for the drums & sampler & for more synths for ancilliary roles - after all the OB is going to be your main 'hands-on' synth - so why not get a GOOD new fast asio2 rack and route the OB output's into the rack merging them in the VST mixer with any onboard like Reason drums & synth/s & sampler & VSTi's - s/w drumboxes are SO good now and have the ability to s/w mix EQ &FX with such ease then why not?.. you can monitor the whole stereo mix via the VST L/R master out to your monitor chain

you can play the Reason stuff & any VSTi's with the OB key's so that is sorted too - those REASON & good VST drumboxes areas good as anything you'll get in hardware I reckon. - also you dont say if you have a mixer so if NOT then again the rack method would work fine - if you dont have a mixer and add more outboard you still have to get a mixer to mix it, AND you'd need fx unit's to add fx etc to the sampler out's or any other synth out's you decide to buy... i'd get a hoontech or other 8 in rack and go with that - cos the beauty is, you can always add-in a mixer and outboard AFTERWARDS if you decide there is certain outboard you want, and route it all into the rack just fine via the outboard mixer.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/9             25-Sep-01  @  12:13 AM   -   RE: New Synth or Sampler?

influx

Link?:  Link

hehe E4 platinum. Pongoids on an emu kick 

Message 7/9             25-Sep-01  @  11:49 PM   -   RE: New Synth or Sampler?

Pongoid

I still love my A3k, but an e4 is a VERY nice machine and a different class of bird.

Ape

Message 8/9             29-Sep-01  @  09:18 PM   -   RE: New Synth or Sampler?

influx

Link?:  Link

wouldnt it be nice if they actually had decent FX? I mean...damn...the yammy FX capabilities are SICK! Ive always envied those. wish Emu would focus on that side

altho..I guess a "real" studio that would use an E4 would have outboard 

Message 9/9             19-Oct-01  @  07:11 AM   -   RE: New Synth or Sampler?

horizens

File?:  [image]

[image file]

i was finally getting around to playing with my
e6400 yesterday and the filters are so good.
and the cords are really cool as well. so many
good routing capabilities.

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)