aaa All I ever hear... - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: All I ever hear...

Viewing all 39 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/39             07-Sep-01  @  04:21 PM   -   All I ever hear...

Pongoid

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

...is people talking about the uQ. What the fuck? That's the entry level piece now. Nobody ever talks about their MW1 or XTK or Q here anymore. What happened? Did you all figure out every bit of those tools? If so, you folks are all way tougher than I am, cuz I'm still discovering stuff about all of my pieces and some I've had for ten years or more. I still love my Q and my MW1. Dope ass live pieces.

Ape

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/39             08-Sep-01  @  06:11 AM   -   RE: All I ever hear...

Bit Crusher

Link?:  Link

Everyone talks about thier entry level mQ cuz its all anyone can afford I guess (well in my case) And I havnt seen DefectorZ and his xt posting around lately, who else owns a piece of waldorf gear?

Message 3/39             08-Sep-01  @  07:19 AM   -   RE: All I ever hear...

Pongoid

I didn't mean to come off like a snob. Waldorf gear is not THAT expensive these days unless you want a Wave. Save your pennies and get the stuff. You know the drill.

Ape

Message 4/39             16-Sep-01  @  08:40 PM   -   RE: All I ever hear...

8life8

Link?:  No link

I have MW1 love it sooooo much, .. haveing problems getting decent OHHats and the kicks seam to be hard to do although sometimes when programing other sounds I'll come up with a great kick but triggering it lets say 4 on the fllor leads too to many clicks and pops and flaps u know it's just not a solid kick on evry beat it changes up (likely due to the analouge filters, lovely when it's doing everything else (so alive) exept thouse damm kicks not getting them.. aslo haveing a hard time getting a pure sine sub tone (actually that can't b very hard, guess I'm lazy .. in anycase you wanted to talk waldorf soo ape man any tips are apreciated ..

Message 5/39             16-Sep-01  @  10:02 PM   -   RE: All I ever hear...

woxy

i am the proud owner of a MicrowaveXT.

Is it true they came up with the presets by clicking the randomise button until they got good noises then fine tuning them?

Actually - I've never pressed the randomise button.....

[runs off to try it out.....]

Message 6/39             17-Sep-01  @  12:17 AM   -   RE: All I ever hear...

steve

8life8 - sine wave on mw1: turn all oscillators off, resonance up full, roll the cutoff down, play some keys, buy new cones for your speakers. Either that or just turn the gain right down beforehand, wish that was what I`d done  

Message 7/39             17-Sep-01  @  01:55 AM   -   RE: All I ever hear...

8life8

yup I bypassed that one: using the filter as a osc .. dam I never think of that ..
cheers!

Message 8/39             17-Sep-01  @  04:32 PM   -   RE: All I ever hear...

dARKSTATe

Ape.. you're right mate but so is Bit Crusher - I got my uQ coz I wanted into the Waldorf sound and at the time my budget wasn't nearly as high as I'd like it to be...

At least we *have* that option and now my studio's a better place for it...  

When I have more money or if you ever decide to donate some kit   I'll be adding more Waldorf wackiness to my setup!!

Marc_D

btw - I use the PPGWave VSTI quite a bit.. izzat okay??  

Message 9/39             17-Sep-01  @  07:14 PM   -   RE: All I ever hear...

steve

just bought a uq meself actually, guess I couldn`t stay away from them waldorfs.

One thing about the q series that you dont really see in most other digital subtractive synths is that its not left wanting for frequencies - it`ll go from booming badboy bass right up to sparkling tinkly highs and everything inbetween. This is one impressed chimpanzee, I just hope we get to see the ppg filter gracing the uq at some point.

Oh yeah, I agree with Bitcrusher also.

Message 10/39             17-Sep-01  @  09:08 PM   -   RE: All I ever hear...

nothingnewhere

Well I used to have a Pulse+... and now I've got a uQ.

I want a uWave so bad. But till I get one, all you're gonna here from me is uq uq uq.

Message 11/39             17-Sep-01  @  09:28 PM   -   RE: All I ever hear...

Bit Crusher

I think waldorf users are as fanatical about thier products as volkswagen owners are about thier cars. Ever since my bro went out and got an xt i have been hooked on that sound, nothing else seems to interest me at the moment(well micromodular does). Im nowhere near hitting the limits with my mQ yet, Ive kinda gotten this strange feeling that Ill never be able to make the sounds in my head, not because this synth cant do it, I know it can, and have heard it, its just that the mod matrix is so powerful I just start routing shit to other shit and this back to that and such and come up with some wacked out sounds and never really create any usable patches.
Am I weird? Its fun anyways. Enough ranting.

Message 12/39             18-Sep-01  @  03:02 AM   -   RE: All I ever hear...

8life8

ok just tried that turn all osc off and use the filter reso to self osc and yhea create a sub tone hell yea I get sub but hell no I can't play it in pitch to get u know a melodic subbass becouse there r no osc to move in pitch..hmm filtertracking maybe? anyway it works well for a kick though .. but it clicks and flaps too much I guess there is no way to get a stabel kick out of it, it's too alive.. sample it?? well I am so anti samplebased kick that I just can't get myself to do it ..but man I have to grow up at some point .. off to turn on the sampler

Message 13/39             18-Sep-01  @  09:15 AM   -   RE: All I ever hear...

Pongoid

I've run into the same thing in regards to kicks on my MW1. Sample it, I guess, or use an Xbass to get the initial hit, and the MW1 for the smooth body of the kick. Hats are hard on anything.

Message 14/39             18-Sep-01  @  02:23 PM   -   RE: All I ever hear...

steve

if you want ot play the self-osc subs, then yeah you need to adjust the filter tracking as the tone will only play at the frequency the filter is at.

Still, I had mad fun with that one and it was the only sound ever the e4 let me down on when I sampled it.

Message 15/39             18-Sep-01  @  05:18 PM   -   RE: All I ever hear...

8life8

actually a few tweaks (roll bit of the vca attack and I get far less clicks, actually usable kicks!, and yhea hats are hard on anything that only has a lpf .. still mangeling .. I know I'll turn this beast into the ultamet drum box eventually ..

Message 16/39             20-Sep-01  @  09:34 AM   -   RE: All I ever hear...

Pongoid

Getting the filter in the MW1 to tune properly with keytracking is a pain in the ass. Also, it only goes so low, but it deos a really nice job if you back off just a bit from total self oscillation and use some really deep notes. Try using the two square waves found at the end any table, and adjust the startsample of one or both to adjust pulsewidth, and you have instant Dub bass at low pitch, low cutoff, and heavy resonance. Caution: this will test your system.

Ape

Message 17/39             21-Sep-01  @  12:48 PM   -   RE: All I ever hear...

woxy

actually i drive a volkswagen as well as owning an XT

woxy

Message 18/39             29-Sep-01  @  07:20 PM   -   RE: All I ever hear...

8life8

mmmm dub basslines, nice tip ... I used to drive a suzuki btw .. not sure if that makes me special so I'd like to ad that I jumped on a subaro once ohh yhea we were flying, looking at rooftops out the sidewindow we made it about 3meters in the air and I landed about 7 meters from the jumping point .. couln't start the car again .. came home 6am and told my grand parents I had a flat tier.. next day we came to pick it up in daylight and it was totaly screwd.. didn't to intensioanly, I'm just a good drive on ice I guess .. jup bless thouse light cars, they totaly fly :P

Message 19/39             01-Oct-01  @  06:26 PM   -   RE: All I ever hear...

Pongoid

Waldorf sub-bass can have strange effects on reality. Want more....

Ape

Message 20/39             02-Oct-01  @  02:32 PM   -   RE: All I ever hear...

maxwelln

I have had my Micro Q for a few months now, and I constantly play with it. I am still a long way off from even scraping the proverbial iceberg, though. I don't think I have ever touched a more satisfying piece of gear. I wish I could get access to the q rack, cause of the knobs.

- Nick

Message 21/39             03-Oct-01  @  02:27 AM   -   RE: All I ever hear...

Defector Z

Yup still loving my XT. Learn something new every day. Don't know if I can quantify it... Such a lovely sound. Such a lovely piece. Does so much more than I can get it to do...

Message 22/39             03-Oct-01  @  06:33 AM   -   RE: All I ever hear...

Pongoid

Def, that counts.  

Message 23/39             04-Oct-01  @  09:49 PM   -   RE: All I ever hear...

Mr_44

I have a Q rack. Just don't have much to say about it  
In fact, the time i'm spending typing this could be spent using it... (whee!)

Message 24/39             10-Oct-01  @  12:02 AM   -   RE: All I ever hear...

Defector Z

Off to make some weird noises simply because I want to...

Message 25/39             20-Oct-01  @  11:29 AM   -   RE: All I ever hear...

xoxos

hope you don't mind me busting in on your disgusting little waldorf orgy (i'm wasting time.) (and no.. i've got a fizmo thank you.)

8life the reason you get flaps and clicks on your kick is because you're using an continuous oscillator.. when you play a note, the osc goes thru the amp and gets big, but that happens at wherever the oscillator is at the time the note is played. it's liek when you play just a bit of a sample on your computer wav editor and you've selected a portion of the wave that starts/ends off of the '0' line it'll click as it makes the jump. thought you'd like to know  

some synths (incl. some analogs and not incl. all digitals for that matter) will initiate the oscillator with each key press.. a handy thing. i dunno the waldorfs, but perhaps it might do that, which would probably go a long way towards evening out your kicks. if you play a yammie fm synth, ie. 'solid bass' preset into your wav editor, you'll see what i mean about initiating the oscs @ each keypress. solid!

if you can't do that, then the usual pitch envelope (as you've undoubtedly discovered) can smooth out the symptom. an imperceptible amp env attack can work too. if it's gotta be solid for the piece, it's best not to bother with it at all imho.

Message 26/39             08-Nov-01  @  01:32 AM   -   RE: All I ever hear...

Pongoid

just dial the attack up one or two points, and the pop is gone. works every time. Yummy Waldorf.......mmmmmmmm....

Ape

Message 27/39             08-Nov-01  @  05:54 PM   -   RE: All I ever hear...

milan

given that the uQ is uQ now practically a giveaway considering current prices, i´m considering getting one really soon.

howdya like my syntax :-P

Message 28/39             08-Nov-01  @  06:12 PM   -   RE: All I ever hear...

steve

too damn right milan, I paid 450 squids from Thomann which is ridiculous for what you get. The only downside is that you`ll end up wanting the Q Keys.....

Message 29/39             08-Nov-01  @  06:24 PM   -   RE: All I ever hear...

milan

Steve, you mean the full Qkb? or the micro Qkb? i´m not lusting after another keyboard since my playing´s crap anyway, but please do tell if you think i´ll be missing out on something big?

Message 30/39             22-Nov-01  @  07:03 PM   -   RE: All I ever hear...

steve

oops, missed this one - I meant the full q keys, I`m not saying its neccessarily worth the extra money for my (or your) needs but having a knob for most functions would be sweet as. That said, they got the interface bang on with the uq and for QK dosh nowadays you can get an xtk AND a uq .......yum.

Message 31/39             23-Nov-01  @  11:34 AM   -   RE: All I ever hear...

xoxos

milan you'll probably be happier if you clean out your bubble strip? there's an article here (and on my homepage) that sez more if that's not enough.

Message 32/39             23-Nov-01  @  06:01 PM   -   RE: All I ever hear...

milan

xoxos- no good. i already tried different bubble strips, clean or dirty, and they always make the same sound under my fingers- "puck-puck". i went thru many a sheet of bubbly plastic but still havent found the sound i´m looking for. thats why i´m getting uQ. i heard that the bubbly plastic its packed in is way superior to the stuff Virus is packed in. any opinions on this?

cheers, m.

Message 33/39             23-Nov-01  @  06:04 PM   -   RE: All I ever hear...

xoxos

yeh.. i'm off.. i thought you said your keyboard was playing crap, not you played it crap :p sorry bout that..

Message 34/39             23-Nov-01  @  06:47 PM   -   RE: All I ever hear...

milan

its all good xoxos. i was like "what on earth is he on about?".

so, any advice on different types of bubbly plastic then? ;)

Message 35/39             28-Nov-01  @  05:36 PM   -   RE: All I ever hear...

milan

-------------------------------------------------

ok, i welcome myself to the ranks of vpeople who shout uQ! uQ! uQ! etc etc...

just got one today and bloody hell, i´ll probably have to spend another year or so untill i work everything out. nice little think, especially like tthe digital/wavetable sounds that come out of it. impresive.

cheers and happy programming to myself. m.

Message 36/39             28-Nov-01  @  10:40 PM   -   RE: All I ever hear...

blacktrax

@milan

Congrats !

btw.: I've made some sounds for free download on http://www.trippler.net/music

and heres a complete track with microQ and VirusB:
http://www.trippler.net/music/Audio/saftpresse.mp3

Message 37/39             29-Nov-01  @  01:25 AM   -   RE: All I ever hear...

milan

thanks mate  

after spending a couple of hours with this little powerhouse i realised i wont need years, more like days, untill i get to know it inside out. this thing is really well organise and logically laid out. bravo for german engineering. i sincerely dont miss the kobs of the full Q.

cheers, m.

Message 38/39             29-Nov-01  @  03:43 PM   -   RE: All I ever hear...

Pongoid

I dunno, I've had my QRack for over a year now, and I'm still learning new stuff.

Message 39/39             29-Nov-01  @  06:56 PM   -   RE: All I ever hear...

milan

sure Ape, there is always new tricks to be learned about making sounds.

i was simply refering to the uQ meny layout, which is very simple to use. when i first turned it on i couldnt figure out how to select different sounds, but after one evenig with it i can cruise easily arount its functions and modify stuff this way and that. big up for Waldorf designers.

Viewing all 39 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4

There are 39 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)