aaa pro solo (SH-101) - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: pro solo (SH-101)

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             18-Oct-01  @  06:55 AM   -   pro solo (SH-101)

panama

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Does anyone know how I can control the SH-101's filter via the Kenton Pro Solo? is it even possible?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             18-Oct-01  @  02:54 PM   -   RE: pro solo (SH-101)

damballah

Link?: Link

not without modding the 101, I don't believe

Message 3/8             19-Oct-01  @  09:39 AM   -   RE: pro solo (SH-101)

panama

breaks my heart that I can't control the filter via
a sequencer. I wonder how much the mod
costs...

Message 4/8             19-Oct-01  @  12:45 PM   -   RE: pro solo (SH-101)

xoxos

aah i tried to post but something went amiss.

the pro solo manual sez 'filter modulation kit available' - evidently the 'aux' cv from the pro solo has some clock input.. seems pointless.. whatever.

i'm prolly wrong about this, but it's possible that all you gotta do is throw a jack and tap a cable to the pcb, since most modular synths work with large voltages, so you'd just close yr. filter all the way and use the pro solo to send a positive voltage in it's place.

try analog heaven. seems like the best bet for a friendly assist.

if you have a cv source (hey it could happen - i've got a wah pedal that doubles as a +5v cv pedal) you could always tap it and see. i'm stupid here but a bit brave with what i've got so far.

Message 5/8             20-Oct-01  @  06:31 AM   -   RE: pro solo (SH-101)

panama

xoxos: interesting. Are you talking about
opening the synth up and messing with the
internal parts? Or are you talking about
sending voltages from a foreign source into
the CV GATE?

I actually can't find much info on this... where
is analog heaven at?

hmmm... I just read the Kenton manual and
they said there was a filter/modulation kit
available. On there WWW site, I wasn't able to
read their HTML... (on a mac)... anyway, finally
something! but what am I looking at? thnx.

Message 6/8             20-Oct-01  @  10:10 AM   -   RE: pro solo (SH-101)

xoxos

each cv input can only carry one control voltage, so you have to use a different connection for each parameter you're controlling, so yeah, chances are you'll need to put a new jack in there, or maybe commandeer one that you're not using for anything else (that weird clock thing the kenton manny mentions) and just change the wiring connected to the jack inside.

like i said, i don't know, but i'd think you should be able to just run a wire from your cv in to the appropriate spot on the circuit board.

basically what you're dealing with, is the 101 probably already uses an "internal" control voltage of +5v (or maybe +/-5v) up to 12 or 15 volts some use. higher voltage for better resolution.. anyway.. i doubt it's anywhere lower than 5v.. that seems to be the minimum for analog synths.. ergo the minimum control value used in the kenton. the knob/potentiometer built into the 101 to control the filter just attenuates a voltage of let's suppose 5v to the circuit that creates the cutoff point, so it lets thru the whole 5v at open, and 0v at closed.

really that circuit doesn't care where it gets it's 5v (again don't quote me on that amount..) as long as it's 5v. what you really want to do is dig up schematics for it.

analog heaven = big old mailing list.. sohuld be linked from hyppereal. you can ask at the diy synth list too but they tend to be really unresponsive to people who just suddenly appear saying 'i want to ***** to my analog synth, tell me how' however, they're more cooperative (in my experience) to a request like 'does anyone have schematics for..'

i've probably examined well over a score of filter schemos, and while i really don't know everything i'm looknig at, i'm pretty confident i've got that part down   you're basically just reclaiming a prefab modular  

if you do wire it in try small values first and see if it sounds unusual (ie. if you've got it connected to cc#74 via the kenton, start at 0 and open it slowly) i'd think it sohuld be fine.. but if the circuit's built to handle 5v and you feed it 5v from the cutoff knob and 5v from your pro solo, you might blow something with the resultant 10v. maybe/probably not in my experience again.. 1000v would fry it for sure tho  

you could also try posting in the main chat for nomad. he's got more established knowledge in this than i.. we'll prolly both feel better if you can find someone else who'll corroborate my info.

Message 7/8             21-Oct-01  @  07:24 AM   -   RE: pro solo (SH-101)

panama

shucks, I new I was gonna have to open the
101 and do my homework.... I'll have to check
out that mailing list!

As of now, my main set back is using the filter
as a tool... I just can't notch the filter right when
getting groovy with a tried melody. I can do
something over a few bars. But, sooner or
later, I miss a change or two, and its no good.

thnx.

Message 8/8             21-Oct-01  @  06:49 PM   -   RE: pro solo (SH-101)

influx

Link?:  Link

couldnt you just practice, and print the result?

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)