aaa Really Looooonnnng Crashes??? - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Really Looooonnnng Crashes???

Viewing all 17 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/17             13-Nov-01  @  09:15 PM   -   Really Looooonnnng Crashes???

Steve Roughley

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I have been hearing alot of really, really long crashes in some progressive house tunes and am wondering if anybody has any idea how to create them.

I have spent hours, well, OK about an hour or so :=), trying to make the sound using time-stretching, compression, delays, synthesis, etc... But I can not come up with a really long clean crash!!!

Any ideas???

Cheers!

Steve.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/17             13-Nov-01  @  10:36 PM   -   RE: Really Looooonnnng Crashes???

k

Link?:  Link

what?... you mean long decay after the hit?.. or long crescendo in-coming ?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/17             14-Nov-01  @  09:50 AM   -   RE: Really Looooonnnng Crashes???

Steve Roughley

Yeah, I am after a crash with a very long decay (arround 4 secs). I can allways reverse it for a crescendo effect. :=)

Cheers!

Steve.

Message 4/17             14-Nov-01  @  04:01 PM   -   RE: Really Looooonnnng Crashes???

k

hmm... tried looping?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/17             14-Nov-01  @  04:38 PM   -   RE: Really Looooonnnng Crashes???

k

actualy, I went thru a sample cd of cymbels, and really, no crashes last that long, some almost, but by that time the decay will be drowned out by the other sounds, UNLESS you made a sample with a custom envelope, with a quick release or sustain & long decay.?

Message 6/17             14-Nov-01  @  11:23 PM   -   RE: Really Looooonnnng Crashes???

milan

either that or put it in a sample and try looping a part of the crash. that way you could have it sustain for ever. and then draw in the volume envelope to create decay. lo-fi but it works.

Message 7/17             14-Nov-01  @  11:23 PM     Edit: 14-Nov-01  |  11:24 PM   -   RE: Really Looooonnnng Crashes???

milan

i meant lo-tech, not lo-fi. or is it? it isnt, is it? nevermind...

Message 8/17             16-Nov-01  @  10:51 PM   -   RE: Really Looooonnnng Crashes???

Brett B

send to a big room verb and set the decay to hold it out a measure or two. For that glassy sound that sounds like it shatters into a million pieces and claenly fades away. Better revebs that use convolution will give you this. Acoustic mirror is great. I use a a big hall on my crash with it 90% wet for that nice ghost that softly fades over a measure.

Message 9/17             17-Nov-01  @  03:19 AM   -   RE: Really Looooonnnng Crashes???

Steve Roughley

Thanks for your help but I still can not get the sound. Have any of you heard 'One' by 'Aria'? This has many instances of the sound that I am talking about. A really clean, natural sounding crash that goes on for around 3 to 4 seconds. It's driving me mad!!!

Cheers again!

Steve.

Message 10/17             17-Nov-01  @  10:21 AM   -   RE: Really Looooonnnng Crashes???

influx

3-4 seconds doesnt seem that long for a splash cymbal? but...reverb? delay? dunno...loop the end? Id have to hear what youre talkin about. why dont you rip it and post it?

Message 11/17             17-Nov-01  @  01:40 PM   -   RE: Really Looooonnnng Crashes???

Steve Roughley

File?:  File

Bretheren-Reservation.mp3

I've uploaded a sample of 'Reservation' by 'Bretheren', which has an example of a long reversed-crash crescendo into a crash with a long decay. Influx, when you say that 3-4 secs doesn't seem that long for a crash, do you have any samples of a long crash? That would solve this outright. All of my crashes have a fairly quick decay of about 2 secs.

Cheers!

Steve :=)

Message 12/17             17-Nov-01  @  04:07 PM     Edit: 17-Nov-01  |  04:12 PM   -   RE: Really Looooonnnng Crashes???

k

is the same crash on 'dido' (gatecrasher) ? - i dont think it is, but i dont have 'one'

Message 13/17             17-Nov-01  @  06:04 PM   -   RE: Really Looooonnnng Crashes???

mikec

Link?: Link

The Korg Trinity has got a looping crash cymbal in it. You need something like that.

You have to edit a new program and select the crash sample rather than using it from an existing drumkit.

But once you've done that it goes on forever.

MikeC

Message 14/17             17-Nov-01  @  07:00 PM   -   RE: Really Looooonnnng Crashes???

influx

its more of a splash cymbal, no? but yeah..I think the tail is looped, and then for the "decay" you just throw an evelope on there.

neat sounding song btw

Message 15/17             22-Nov-01  @  08:13 PM   -   RE: Really Looooonnnng Crashes???

Brett B

Sahsa "rabitweed" has some realy long crashes that sustain for over 16 bars then fade out. O used the cst reverd and just used the decay to full and it worked. It sustains nicly. Then use volume to fade it.

Message 16/17             23-Nov-01  @  11:38 AM   -   RE: Really Looooonnnng Crashes???

xoxos

Link?: Link

nobody uses synthesizers anymore??

Message 17/17             23-Nov-01  @  01:19 PM   -   RE: Really Looooonnnng Crashes???

white noise

or loads of little crashes with a slow attack,then fade them out slowly(like a real drumer would play it) or do that reverse reverb thing in mono a few times

Viewing all 17 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 17 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)