aaa Back to the Future? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Back to the Future?

Viewing all 20 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/20             16-Nov-01  @  04:46 AM   -   Back to the Future?

GT

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

So, you've got a nice bit of kit ya, but it's missin' analogue.

So far the lovely SE-1X, but please, give your first choices...

Conditions:

- It's gotta be new
- It's gotta be all analogue, (uhummm, no dco)
- Under 2200 USD please.

tia

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/20             16-Nov-01  @  06:42 AM   -   RE: Back to the Future?

panama

Alesis A6 - tho it's a bit more than $ 2200.

Message 3/20             16-Nov-01  @  11:13 AM   -   RE: Back to the Future?

xoxos

Link?: Link

modular?

Message 4/20             16-Nov-01  @  11:19 AM     Edit: 16-Nov-01  |  02:35 PM   -   RE: Back to the Future?

milan

Link?:  Link

ah yes, there was this cool company which i somehow found via xoxos´s website. called MOTM or something like that(?). you can cpecify a system you want and they have some pretty wild modules on offer, like tripple resonant filters with frequency-dependant pan modulation (has to be heard to be understood) and such. maybe check them out?

Message 5/20             16-Nov-01  @  05:41 PM   -   RE: Back to the Future?

xoxos

everybody's making a triple res filter.. mam made a 1u rackmount.. don't think it's got as many knobs, but does the same thing.

synthesizers.com is manufactured by a pal of schreiber's.. some cat named arrick whose main thing is selling robotic elements. funny page 'tribute to power switches..' think they're supposed to be like the motm with some material cut, ie. thinner front panel, et c.

personally, i'd check around.. there always seem to be dozens of little companies making modular/analog stuff (subscribe to the diy list for a month and follow the links.. some neato stuff.. for for decent money) cos i don't fancy paying motm prices..

the doepfer stuff sounds good to me, just need to be careful/replace the crappy jacks (i think it was) they used to use that would break on everyone. loads of doepfer user groups.. plus doepfer is the behringer/ripoff of the modular world.. but hell.. $60 a module beats $379 any damn day.

also look up wiard.. about 6 months ago they went into some new production thing.. they used to make a nice package (around your price gt) with some fancy/desirable looking silkscreening.

why not join analog heaven? sure to get some good links.

Message 6/20             16-Nov-01  @  09:23 PM   -   RE: Back to the Future?

influx

why not just go for the SE1 then? get TWO synths. As far as I can tell the SE1x is the same synth engine with just a few more features?

Message 7/20             19-Nov-01  @  03:18 AM   -   RE: Back to the Future?

GT

Thanks all (xoxos - too cool).

Great input. I'm just thinking if I start playing live the SE stuff would transport nicely.

But with these awesome pointers I'll have do some in depth research.

Message 8/20             19-Nov-01  @  10:15 AM   -   RE: Back to the Future?

xoxos

dunno much about it, but - err.. is it the matrix 6 or the matrix 1000 that's the baby of the family? um, well it's supposed to have an immense architecture, if that's what you're looking for in a neat little package.

Message 9/20             20-Nov-01  @  08:17 AM   -   RE: Back to the Future?

Pongoid

MOTM is the sick stuff. Everybody I've talked to that has this guy's them absolutely loves the modules to death. The specs are outta hand. I've heard some nice samples, etc. and it seems to be the business. As soon as I have my Mini back, I'll probably invest in a $2500 MOTM system.

Ape

Message 10/20             20-Nov-01  @  04:37 PM   -   RE: Back to the Future?

influx

matrix 6 is fully programmable, matrix 1000 comes with 1000 presets and is harder to program

Message 11/20             21-Nov-01  @  01:37 AM   -   RE: Back to the Future?

milan

lemme tell ya, Matrix6 and Matrix1000 have the same level of programmability once you start using s/w editors.

you could try to program Matrix6 via its tiny screen and one data slider interface but you´d probably get sick of it pretty fast. not to mention that all important parameters are written on top of the Matrix6, so they are usually scratched beyond repair due to rackmounting. Matrix 6 is maybe a bit cooler because it has a bi-timbral mode and M1000 is only monotimbral. oh, and some people claim that M6 has a warmer sound due to cheap japanese components used. Matrix1000 was built in the USA and features (allegedly) much better components (assuring better reliability and logevity, again allegedly).

Both are as complex and powerfull as you want them to be. the sound is kinda silky and smooth, and it takes a bit of work to get away from its 80´s origin IMHO. i´ve managed to make my M1000 sound ruff and growly, although its definitely better suited for pads, leads, and such.

my 2p. who was asking about Matrix in the first place? am i at last going to get someone to exchange sounds with?

cheers, m.

Message 12/20             21-Nov-01  @  01:40 AM   -   RE: Back to the Future?

milan

btw, my pc´s power unit died on me two days ago. got real scared for a moment before i figured out what happened. thank god a mate sorted me out with a new (used) one within 24hrs. big up to him!

m.

Message 13/20             21-Nov-01  @  08:34 PM   -   RE: Back to the Future?

xoxos

i think funkbot/bland/bl_nd/blandrew.. god knows who he is.. has a 1000.. might be loaning it to someone in another state at present.

Message 14/20             22-Nov-01  @  11:28 PM   -   RE: Back to the Future?

A.D.D.

i got one too. its dco though.

Message 15/20             23-Nov-01  @  11:52 AM   -   RE: Back to the Future?

xoxos

just to enjoy it, you will come back and tell us what you went with?

Message 16/20             25-Nov-01  @  07:36 AM   -   RE: Back to the Future?

GT

Yes, will do xoxos - just a few short months till we're out of the red  ))

Message 17/20             04-Dec-01  @  10:30 PM   -   RE: Back to the Future?

sitar

What are Junos like now. I played with one once and liked it. I know they were the staple in dance production at one time but are probably considered old hat now. I've got a friend who's got only analogue. Some vintage stuff like a fairly rare Arp. Does something like a Matrix or the MOTM modules give you wilder sound possibilities then?

Message 18/20             05-Dec-01  @  10:23 AM   -   RE: Back to the Future?

xoxos

yeh   junos are dco as opposed to 'true' analog vco, so you'll get different textures. i believe the juno 106 is more or less 2 oscs (no fm but yes on sync) lowpass, lsiders for envelopes and stuff. other junos are handicapped from there.. less sliders et c. nothing your sn can't handle.

Message 19/20             06-Dec-01  @  08:03 AM     Edit: 06-Dec-01  |  08:14 AM   -   RE: Back to the Future?

panama

File?:  [image]

[image file]

never played a Matrix, but I do own and play a

Dunno if their old hat... cuse I still hear them
everywhere. But even IF it is so, it's a great
sound with A LOT of inspiration.

The synth engine coupled with that Curtis filter
chip is the best combo ever... just gorgeous

Filter does step tho with a lot of resonance. No
one will notice tho, cuse evey step sounds like
a new note (which is great character).

Anyway, try to get it just for fun... You'll never
know what will happen. Once I got the 106, I
threw my JP-8k out the window... (JP-8k is up
for sale btw, $ 700 if anyone's intrested).

Message 20/20             12-Dec-01  @  02:46 PM   -   RE: Back to the Future?

sitar

I love that filter stepping. have tried to emulate it with some success. Wish I could get a 106.

Viewing all 20 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 20 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)