aaa Getting the most out of my XT - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Getting the most out of my XT

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             20-Nov-01  @  01:52 PM   -   Getting the most out of my XT

Si

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Well I've started trying to get somewhere with my XT but it's quite a complex beast, and getting anything useful out of it will probably take me some time.

But, to aid me in my quest, are there any hints and tips I should be aware of? Maybe some software that might aid in sound construction? I'm still a little miffed with the general way sound is created within it, but I'll get the hang of that by just playing around with it.

Cheers,

Si.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             20-Nov-01  @  08:48 PM   -   RE: Getting the most out of my XT

xoxos

rule #1. you don't need to use the entire capability of it in each sound. subsequent rules refer back to rule #1.

Message 3/7             20-Nov-01  @  08:50 PM   -   RE: Getting the most out of my XT

xoxos

i know that's not what you want to hear but the awful truth of it is that trying to pack every molecule of your awesome brilliance into each part won't take you very far at all. do learn how to use it. use what you need, when you need it. that is all.

Message 4/7             21-Nov-01  @  01:30 PM   -   RE: Getting the most out of my XT

Si

Hmmm, interesting suggestion. I'll bear that in mind. I had loads of fun with the filters last night, so I reckon I'm going to spend a bit of time messing with the presets and choosing different filters and stuff.

I'll probably not know what I'm really doing, but it'll be fun!

Cheers,

Si.

Message 5/7             21-Nov-01  @  05:05 PM   -   RE: Getting the most out of my XT

knowa

Link?:  Link

that's good advice. I think this is from a film, but I once heard that in order to capture the brilliance of kids' artwork, you have to take the picture away from them at the right time (it works, too). same idea--as soon as it sounds cool, save it before you ruin it by trying o make it sound better. another good idea is to think of the sound you want to create in your head before you tweak any knobs. or else just tweak the knobs randomly until it sounds good. and read the manual. and listen to xoxos.

Message 6/7             21-Nov-01  @  05:29 PM   -   RE: Getting the most out of my XT

steve

Link?:  No link

They`re not actually all that different from normal subtractive synths to be honest, just think of the wavetables as very funky oscillators.

Message 7/7             22-Nov-01  @  05:33 PM   -   RE: Getting the most out of my XT

Defector Z

Well, i got comfortable with my XT first by tearing sounds apart. Start with the presets, and change the different parts to see how increasing your envelope velocity affects the sound. Then you'll learn to build your own from scratch. It is complex, and wavetable synthesis is hard to get your head around at first, but take a few months to get used to it.

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)