aaa Boxwell needs you! - Music tracks & feedback forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: Boxwell needs you!

Viewing all 16 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/16             07-Dec-01  @  10:02 PM   -   Boxwell needs you!

Boxwell

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

The artist formerly known as Kylie needs your help.

I've done this trip hop track that I am going to add my own beautiful Highland spoken word piece over the top, and a haunting female vocal.

Problem is, I can't think of any vocals. If anyone has any dark stories that they think may fit over the song please let me know. The sample at the end might give you a hint of the tone I'm looking for.

As always, I'd like to hear your opinions on the track.

I'm thinking of adding a bass guitar but I'm not sure. I like the space in it and don't want to clutter it.

It's called Teeeeth, as I was having major dental reconstruction in the same weeks as writing this. Could explain quite a lot.

Thanks
Graeme

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/16             07-Dec-01  @  10:16 PM   -   RE: Boxwell needs you!

bedwyr

you know the reverb you put on the drums at the end? i think you've got room to put some of that on from the start. if you're going for sparse, it would fill the space a bit more. when the guitar/bass? part comes in intermittently, i think it's a tad too loud, bit of reverb/delay on that as well maybe?. dub it all up, send some snares flying off into space, and all that. maybe some hats/ride in there too (every now and again), just to tickle the old lugholes.

& the spill from the guitar/bass in the background, maybe you could compress the hell out of it, grunge it a little, but still keep it relatively quiet, could add a bit of rough background shit.

scary stories? hmm, dunno.

Message 3/16             07-Dec-01  @  10:26 PM   -   RE: Boxwell needs you!

xoxos

there was a guy and he used to get roadkill and sing little songs to the roadkill an dhe got into it you see and he would have problems with there where he'd have the roadkill and ran out of songs or had a song a-bustin' to come but there warn't no roadkills an he couldn't fix to flatter them varments on hisself sos he makes this video of hisself singen' an old wun to one of his more olden time possum corpses so he could git folks from all parts to send him their roadkill. even had a cute little picture of the possum on front of the cassette wearin' a little smoking jacket like those fancy announcers do gone done in bygone days with some extra maggits he pet on the lapel to make it sell well. took some dead possum and maggit magic to make it sell and whoo boy did it ever, i mean you had folks from all around, even down south ways with the hill folk snedin him some they scraped up from somewhere i tell you. but it made him sad caws it started lookin like he was being set up for a may-jur deal but theys wus just doin it for the furn of splattin on them little critters. he had a mosrite electric gee-tar specialty cut down so he could hunker down and sing real sweet like right into the ears of his little varmint corpses, which was laid out on a little cardboard box that had them fancy ceegars in them. it had a special smell. he got the camera from our uncle tyler and when he gave it back it had a bit of that special smell on it. tyler never did lend him none of his 'quipment uh-giiiiiuhhhhhnnn.

Message 4/16             07-Dec-01  @  10:38 PM   -   RE: Boxwell needs you!

Boxwell

Perhaps not quite what I was after.

Message 5/16             07-Dec-01  @  10:48 PM   -   RE: Boxwell needs you!

Boxwell

The part thats too loud. Do you mean the strings that follow the bass noise - just before the guitar comes in? Or do you mean the thunk noise?

I like the idea of compressing the guitar spill part. The only problem is that it is feedback form a VST plugin. Is there anyway of getting the output from a plugin back on a different channel than the source? I could copy it and edit it in Soundforge then trigger from the sampler, compressing the sampler section. May even put it through a delay in the sampler.

I quite like the way the drums are in your face at the start and then coming in from the back towards the end. It may be one of those things that I am the only one that likes that bit! (Fucks sake my English is really deteriorating.)

Spelling's shit as well.

I've got a huge cack though.

Message 6/16             07-Dec-01  @  10:55 PM   -   RE: Boxwell needs you!

damballah

hahahaha

Message 7/16             07-Dec-01  @  11:32 PM   -   RE: Boxwell needs you!

influx

Link?:  Link

JABBERWOCKY!!!!

Message 8/16             08-Dec-01  @  12:03 AM   -   RE: Boxwell needs you!

bedwyr

lol!

i mean the first melodic bit you can hear. thing is with the drums, i think, is that they've got a bit of a 'roomy' sound on them, they're not totally dry (and in your face), it seems, i think it makes them sound a bit like you mic'd them up in a room.

how about cutting the little bit of reverb that's on the snares & shit, and then piling loads on in certain bits. photek does a quite a bit of it on 'ni chen ichi ruy' (spelling) like 'thwack', then 'thwackhhhhhhh'

i've got a huge pile of cack, it's called my hard drive.

Message 9/16             08-Dec-01  @  12:51 AM   -   RE: Boxwell needs you!

bedwyr

actually quite a lot of people use that no reverb/long reverb trick. our old friend timbaland for one. bit like gated, then not gated but just do it with a few samples instead.

Message 10/16             08-Dec-01  @  01:14 AM   -   RE: Boxwell needs you!

influx

yeah..hella tech step tracks do that. Uberzone does it all the time too. whats fun is what you can do the the verb, too...like...rolling off the filter as the reverb on a snare fades so you get that dope ass sucking sound..right at the end of a measure as a good lead into another...

blah ing blah BLAH!!!

off to check it out Fink Torme.

Message 11/16             08-Dec-01  @  02:30 PM   -   RE: Boxwell needs you!

Boxwell

I've tried varying the reverb and it works well. That's a good tip to remember.

Is there any way of doing the filter rolloff on the reverb using an S3000?

I cant work it out if there is. I've tried assigning the mod wheel to the filter and trying to do it by hand but not very successfully!

Thanks again
Graeme

Message 12/16             08-Dec-01  @  02:40 PM   -   RE: Boxwell needs you!

xoxos

since i'm going to be lo-tekking it for hte entire way on track i'm working on (darn amd) i'm ognna send a section of my 'final' track back to my s2000 and then rerecord it thru s/pdif with a filter envelope and cut it back into the final.

Message 13/16             10-Dec-01  @  12:52 AM   -   RE: Boxwell needs you!

sitar

Hey! Listened to 'TEEETH'. Listening to 'Afghan Hound'. Great track. I love that vocal sample you mangle that comes in with the beat. This track is excellent. Great DnB man.

Message 14/16             10-Dec-01  @  12:55 AM   -   RE: Boxwell needs you!

sitar

Oh, got my vote  

Message 15/16             10-Dec-01  @  09:42 PM   -   RE: Boxwell needs you!

monkeyboy

listened to teeth thought it was ok, but you havent finished it yet have you? listened to afghan hound, listened to it again and again...if you havent figured it out i really like this track...it in rocks...love the way it slowly builds up from the vocal...youve got some great sounds in there...love the islamic prayer sample...very topical.

Message 16/16             11-Dec-01  @  08:51 AM   -   RE: Boxwell needs you!

Boxwell

You're right Monkeyboy, I haven't finished teeth yet, but I have done loads since the version up here. I'll have to get the new one up once I get a vocal on it.

Glad you all seem to like Afghan Hound

Viewing all 16 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)