aaa 'sbeen so looooong - Music tracks & feedback forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: 'sbeen so looooong

Viewing all 16 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/16             31-Dec-01  @  07:06 AM   -   'sbeen so looooong

psylichon

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Been working so much I almost forgot how to write music. 2 new tracks up in my profile: Scratch Demo and Unconcious Effort. Let me know if you like or not and stuff...

psylichon

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/16             06-Jan-02  @  09:05 PM   -   RE: 'sbeen so looooong

psylichon

Hey, I know I don't comment on others' tracks much, but that's because RFI in my area makes it nearly impossible for me to properly listen to a track. Hell, it took me like an hour to upload these.

I was just curious what people thought of my scratching, and both of these songs give examples. I've been holed up performing my cuts for myself since I started scratching for almost a year now... I'd like to know if they hold up. If ya got a fast connection, let me know what you think. If not, don't worry about it... I understand :}

psylichon.... (bordering on the pathetic....)

Message 3/16             06-Jan-02  @  10:48 PM   -   RE: 'sbeen so looooong

bedwyr

cool  

even with the 'this is a journey into sound' sample. ;)

Message 4/16             06-Jan-02  @  11:01 PM   -   RE: 'sbeen so looooong

psylichon

Yeah... i haven't yet delved into the deep turntablism ideas... Such as "meaningful arrangements" or "taste" or even "style" for that matter. I'm all just into that wicky wicky thing right now... truly addicting.

psylichon

Message 5/16             06-Jan-02  @  11:01 PM   -   RE: 'sbeen so looooong

influx

Link?:  Link

dling unconScious effort right now

maybe wanna change the title if for no other reason than to shut me up?

its unconScious

Message 6/16             06-Jan-02  @  11:08 PM   -   RE: 'sbeen so looooong

bedwyr

haha! spelling natsi influx :P

u use some nice rhythms in your scratching tho, & a good ear for melodic type stuff.

Message 7/16             06-Jan-02  @  11:26 PM   -   RE: 'sbeen so looooong

influx

yeah man! sounds cool! nice melancholy dub feel to it

scratching sounds fine to me. Save the tricks for the tricks. you were shootin for rhythmic effect and it works fine!

good mix too, man. nice and tight sounding even at super lofi 

now go fix that spelling dammit

Message 8/16             07-Jan-02  @  10:02 PM   -   RE: 'sbeen so looooong

Matias Monteagudo

Although the rithm is not good to my personal taste the scratches are amazing!!

I wish to learn to scratch like that some day, where I should start?

Great work!

Message 9/16             07-Jan-02  @  10:59 PM   -   RE: 'sbeen so looooong

psylichon

Well, I used a multi-fx plugin from the Waves Vintage Power Pack that phased the turntable track and that contributed alot to the "swoopiness" of the cuts. But as far as the actual cuts themselves, yeah I'll admit I never can quite sound like the DJs that have set the standard for turntablist sound, and that has a lot to do with my "technique" (and I use quotes because it's really a cheat and I'm almost embarrassed to admit to it, but....)

Since I don't profess to be a DJ (I only have one table, I couldn't match a beat if my life depended on it, I've never created, practiced, or even imagined a set of my own)... just a studio scratcher, I'll admit that I use a rubber band on the crossfader to tie it to the silent channel. That way I can tap the phono channel on and off quickly, almost like a transform switch on some mixers, but with the benefits of an adjustable crossfader.

I've leard to crab and do all sorts of things that I just can't do without the rubberband. Perhaps one day I'll ditch it for the real thing (just my thumb) and Ill buy another table and maybe then try to become a DJ. For now though, I'm doing shit within a year of starting that I'm sure has taken others much longer. Give it a shot... it's a real confidence booster!

psylichon

influx - I know, wrong forum....

Message 10/16             08-Jan-02  @  12:05 AM   -   RE: 'sbeen so looooong

xoxos

what kind of rubber bands do you find are best for this technique?

Message 11/16             08-Jan-02  @  02:18 AM   -   RE: 'sbeen so looooong

psylichon

funny you should ask...

it actually takes some trial and error. I've found the best to be a combination of a large one and a small one (like 2" diameter for the big one and less than 1/2" for the smaller) tied together. If you can find the right size band in a hair elastic (the kind with a threaded insulation around it) they work great because they don't have as much friction as a plain rubberband, and the getup tends to rub at the point where the two are tied together. This can slow down yer action. The length of the band depends of course on what you're tying down to. I use a rack screw hole on the left side of my mixer (I cut with the left hand, table on the right)

The key is to find a combination of bands that's tight enough to reliably pull the fader fully off when released, but only requiring a hairpin trigger to open the channel. When you find it, hoo boy hot diggity it's fun

yee haw

psylichon

Message 12/16             08-Jan-02  @  02:38 AM   -   RE: 'sbeen so looooong

psylichon

File?:  [image]

[image file]

see?

Message 13/16             08-Jan-02  @  03:53 AM   -   RE: 'sbeen so looooong

influx

cheater!!! 

Message 14/16             08-Jan-02  @  02:19 PM   -   RE: 'sbeen so looooong

knowa

that's awesome. I have the same stanton and I'm gonna rubber band it tonight. but I'm not gonna tell my real-DJ friends.

PS I'll listen later when I have a chance.

Message 15/16             13-Jan-02  @  03:14 PM   -   RE: 'sbeen so looooong

sitar

Listened to Unconcious Effort. Nice feel and I like the scratches. Nice and tight. Scratch Demo 1 is amazing. Excellent.

Message 16/16             14-Jan-02  @  02:41 PM   -   RE: 'sbeen so looooong

breakerbox

power to you, man...
I got 1 turntable and a stanton sk6 (has hamster and crossfader curve) i just started scratching... (thats why i got only one 1200... i suck at betmatching too.. i know couple guys who are into turntablism... but didnt hear about the rubber band.. i am going to get some rubber bands... I am learning how to crab...
My mixer doesnt have a faceplate.. i went to Lovage last wed (kid koala -ing crazy...) i got dan the automator and kid koalas autograph on the plate... now i am dont want to put it back on the mixer... Nice clean cuts you have.. i am not that good yet.. anyways...

Viewing all 16 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)