aaa How do you program a snare-fill-in? - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: How do you program a snare-fill-in?

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             13-Feb-02  @  10:57 PM   -   How do you program a snare-fill-in?

JG

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

That is the question..." How do You program a natural-sounding snare-roll/fill-In with just a single Snare-Sample (for example to introduce a new part in a deep-house-track) ?" Tell me your secrets...

JG

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             13-Feb-02  @  11:28 PM   -   RE: How do you program a snare-fill-in?

bedwyr

Link?: Link

it's all velocity.

maybe post a mp3 of what you mean?

velocity and a touch of filter>velocity (subtle)

Message 3/9             19-Feb-02  @  11:28 AM   -   RE: How do you program a snare-fill-in?

Jojo_The_DogFaced_Boy

I'm actually curious as to how you program a drum roll\fill that resembles a actual drum roll from an actual kit.
Hard to explain. Kinda jazzy roll bout 90-110 bpm
Portishead do it well but unfortunately i do not know the relevant song ( yes i know Portishead don't really do songs in the 90-110 bpm range but they sound similar
Seems all i get when i try is short sections of trance like rushes.

i'm thinkin it's al in the snare attack being leveled off and the snare having a smushy sound but will need to clarify a bit, so i will come back to this

Message 4/9             19-Feb-02  @  12:09 PM   -   RE: How do you program a snare-fill-in?

bedwyr

try and think about how a real drummer does a snare fill. they bounce the stick on the skin, so the very first hit will be louder than the second. louder hits have more top end to set up some velocity to filter, and they might have a higher pitch. all subtle. and then there's variation in tone if he's doing a long roll and moving towards/away from the rim. a tighter sound at the rim (shorter decay on the 'tone'). but again these are all subtle, it's mostly velocity.

try and sample a real fill, then slow in down and see how many actual 'hits' are there. and forget quantizing, switch the grid off, zoom in and just start sticking hits in.

Message 5/9             21-Feb-02  @  03:41 AM     Edit: 21-Feb-02  |  03:42 AM   -   RE: How do you program a snare-fill-in?

k

Link?:  Link

File?:  [image]

[image file]

the roll might have velocity differences to give feel within each beat but overally raise up in volume.

the image is of 4 beats x 4 snare hit's per beat in a standard 'paradiddle' roll (16ths on sequencer), the difference in volumes between beats is exagerated to show the rising in volume... in reality this might happen over 8 bars or whatever not 4 beats... but then it might... whatever.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/9             28-Feb-02  @  09:28 PM   -   RE: How do you program a snare-fill-in?

Brett B

I read a while back that Portishead has a drummer, and they record actual drums, then chop them up and process them.

Message 7/9             01-Mar-02  @  04:40 PM   -   RE: How do you program a snare-fill-in?

druid

So- would this simply be controlled through velocity? for the example above- the highest velocity of the first beat would be less than the lowest velocity of the last beat? or would you set the velocities similarly between each beat and gradually increase the volume slider? How does setting velocity to volume on the synth play into this?

jus' wunderin'

dru

Message 8/9             01-Mar-02  @  04:48 PM   -   RE: How do you program a snare-fill-in?

xoxos

attain a degree of familiarity with your gear to where you can transduce ideas effectively ie. fast enough and to where you can put them down as you imagine them. then all you need to do is imagine. then you can play the fun game of experimenting with it after you make it. then comes the where do you leave it game. which is why the envisioning scheme is the best route to go with in the first place, because where have you got, really? it's like a desert out here.

really into dynamic motion, bubbles, ramps, skips, repeats, sense of presence and space, semantics.. then just turn it on and be sick all over the place.

Message 9/9             05-Mar-02  @  05:37 AM   -   RE: How do you program a snare-fill-in?

Brett B

yes velocity changes the sound because you can send velocity to (filter envelop) in your modulation matrix. You can also have velocity ramps that crosfade to a new sample layer at certain velocity level. so you smaple a light hit on the drum and triger it at anthing from 1-70, then a medium hit at 71-110, and anything ove 110 may have some rim in it.

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)