aaa an actual analog VSTi - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

14-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: an actual analog VSTi

Viewing all 23 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/23             13-Mar-02  @  05:38 PM   -   an actual analog VSTi

knowa

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

I'm starting from the premise that analog synths sound different than digital ones and that some people really like that analog sound. please don't tell me how fresh reaktor is because you're right and I want it, and I love my computer etc.

now, the pulse is relatively cheap becuase it has so few knobs on it, right?

if waldorf made an *entirely* knobless box that worked only with a mixer-map type interface via computer/midi, how much cheaper do you think it would be?

what I'm thinking is that they could make a *polyphonic* analog with NO knobs cheaply (maybe) if it had a software-only interface.

does this make sense?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/23             13-Mar-02  @  07:47 PM   -   RE: an actual analog VSTi

k

yup... good idea, but would it sell?.. why doncha write to them and suggest it ??

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/23             13-Mar-02  @  08:26 PM   -   RE: an actual analog VSTi

influx

you mean like a DSP synth that was genuninely analog?

I had a dream once that I owned a synth that was comprised of an interface box (keys and knobs) and it had cards like a PCI setup, and each card was an entirely different synth with all the trimmings...

so you could load 5 or so cards up and switch between them, and play them simultaneously...

Message 4/23             13-Mar-02  @  09:04 PM   -   RE: an actual analog VSTi

knowa

word influx thats a little different that what I mean, but that would be "dreamy" as well.

it would be EVEN better if it could actually be on a PCI card, but that seems a little far-fetched. maybe it's not.

I'll write to waldorf. yeah why not.

Message 5/23             13-Mar-02  @  09:42 PM   -   RE: an actual analog VSTi

damballah

Link?: Link

creamware noah?

Message 6/23             13-Mar-02  @  09:43 PM   -   RE: an actual analog VSTi

99devils

Wasn't the Oberhiem Matrix 1000 pretty much what you're talking about? An honest-to-god analog that you need to program with an external editor? Without knobs for a lot less than a real Matrix?

Message 7/23             13-Mar-02  @  09:49 PM   -   RE: an actual analog VSTi

influx

OH!! like what craig said?

I dont maybe get what youre sayin. more please?

Message 8/23             13-Mar-02  @  11:33 PM   -   RE: an actual analog VSTi

nothingnewhere

i think he means just a basic hardware box with an analog synth in it that you plug into your computer. all the controlls/programming would come from a vsti front type thing i guess.

this would be cool if i liked software. I'd rather pay extra for knobs personally :-)

Message 9/23             14-Mar-02  @  02:41 AM   -   RE: an actual analog VSTi

damballah

knobs are kind of the point, aren't they?

Message 10/23             14-Mar-02  @  11:02 AM   -   RE: an actual analog VSTi

Maarten

Yup, what is there left to touch if the knobs are taken away?  

Message 11/23             14-Mar-02  @  04:02 PM   -   RE: an actual analog VSTi

knowa

no doubt knobs are the best.

all I'm sayin is that if waldorf could make a POLYPHONIC pulse for less than $800, it would be DOPE DOPE DOPE.

the pulse is already a bitch to program (and it doesen't respond to my mixer map in cubase either...gotta get that sorted).

IF making the REAL ANALOG synth just a "black box" with a software interface instead of knobs allowed the price to be low, that would be good.

right?

Message 12/23             14-Mar-02  @  09:02 PM   -   RE: an actual analog VSTi

influx

gotcha. sure. maybe. but...looks are part of a sale...even softsynths LOOK cool, ya know?

just another sense that we have been trained must be appealed to. imagine trying to sell a black box with nothing on to some poser who had his eye on a virus?

Message 13/23             14-Mar-02  @  09:25 PM   -   RE: an actual analog VSTi

knowa

oh definitely...but chill--a NASA looking box with an unnecessarily industrial-looking firewire cord attached to a NICE GUI...a laconic "for those who know" marketing strategy...oh what the feck its a terrible idea but I wish I had one!

Message 14/23             14-Mar-02  @  10:08 PM   -   RE: an actual analog VSTi

nothingnewhere

actually i liked editing the pulse... :-)

Message 15/23             15-Mar-02  @  04:50 PM   -   RE: an actual analog VSTi

knowa

didn't it bug you that when you scrolled to a new row of controls and turned a knob the value would jump to the new setting?

or you mean with an external editor?

it would be just dandy if it had the virus style relative value knob option.

Message 16/23             16-Mar-02  @  09:00 PM   -   RE: an actual analog VSTi

Brett B

Link?:  No link

the kenton plug station! Supports up to 4 yamaha plg cards. So you could have the voice processor with the vocoder, an analog modeling card, an fm synth, and an acoustic modeler in one rack. All controled by midi only.

It's not analog, but the same theory in design.

Message 17/23             16-Mar-02  @  11:20 PM   -   RE: an actual analog VSTi

Defector Z

When I saw the title of the thread, I thought it was some newbie going on about...ah, fuck it.

Anyhow, knowa is on to something there. I'm thinking a little bit further though, because if you had a bunch of knobless 1 rack unit synths, analog or what-not, and 1 controller, that would be cool. Very cool. Combine something like a surface one, oxygen 8 and the joystick of the darkstar, and you could have one controller controlling a wall of synths. Have a couple of buttons to save settings so you could jump between 1 synth and another, and you're rocking and rolling. USB and you're on your way...

Message 18/23             17-Mar-02  @  02:40 PM   -   RE: an actual analog VSTi

Pongoid

I thought about this years ago too. Things like the idea of building some synths unsing old circuit designs, but replacing all of the through-hole shit with surface mount, thus puting a 909 in a cigarette pack, with a midi in, and XLR outs, and that's it. Imagine doing that with a Jupiter 8, and c ouple of other killer pieces. You could definately build something that thumps like a monster, and fits in a back pack, and the biggest pieces are your laptop, extrnal hard drive, and mixer. It's a thought, especially using that crazy pad that Canadian aerospace cooked up as a controller. Hellz yeh!!

Ape

Message 19/23             17-Mar-02  @  10:20 PM   -   RE: an actual analog VSTi

Mindspawn

What crazy pad, Pongoid? I hadn't heard about this an' I'm kind of a controller freak, so where do I finds more info?

Also, methinks folk might be into these "black boxes." Carver made an amplifier back in the late 70's/early 80s that was essentially a black cube with a power button. Fugging phenomenal amp that a lot of people purchased, even though the all-in-one "reciever" type amps were the hottest thing at the time....

Peace

Message 20/23             18-Mar-02  @  01:02 PM   -   RE: an actual analog VSTi

xoxos

i think he's talking about the thingy that looks like someone dragged their paint covered hands across it. it's been in mags for about a year now.

"just gimme a big square."

Message 21/23             18-Mar-02  @  01:29 PM   -   RE: an actual analog VSTi

k

matrix 1000 would be the one yes

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 22/23             18-Mar-02  @  04:13 PM   -   RE: an actual analog VSTi

Pongoid

Xo, in fact you are partly correct. The fabric used in the 'sliders' is made of the same material as this pad I'm talking about. Three dimensions of sensitivity from multiple points. That says that it can be nicely split into zones, keys, etc. for literally limitless applications. It was developed by Canadian Airspace over the past few years, and some small company made a controller out of it. I don't know how far folks went with the implementation, but it was a concept I came up with about ten years ago, and it's nice to see somebody made it a reality.

Message 23/23             19-Mar-02  @  11:49 PM   -   RE: an actual analog VSTi

Mindspawn

Bloddy (sic) well forgot about the Matrix 1000. Very nice "black box." I remember being gaga over 'em after seeing Karl from Om use one. Gonna have to go searchin'.

Thanks to the rest of you for the info on the controller, not really what I'm after, but still some cool concept....

Peace

Viewing all 23 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 23 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)