aaa Hot damn! - Music tracks & feedback forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: Hot damn!

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             06-Apr-02  @  05:50 PM   -   Hot damn!

Paleface

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Track uploaded - and to DT this time!

It's called "The Sting". Funky, modern soundtrack type stuff - I'd seen Ocean's Eleven the day before, and Holmes' score to that just _rocked_. It's not perfect yet - piano and mixing need tweaking - but hell, it's fun. Cheeky Blur sample not withstanding. Strongly recommended to download (651kb) rather than stream. In my user profile.

Please listen. And no, I don't know where the break came from - trying to remember, though.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             06-Apr-02  @  07:12 PM   -   RE: Hot damn!

Maarten

Link?:  Link

I like the guitar stuff man, funky indeed. Seems that the keys are a bit off here and there though, could be me... bit of bass round 1:15 is nice. This is not really me cup of tea but I have to admit that it's damn interesting and pleasurable listening!

-M-

Message 3/8             07-Apr-02  @  12:01 PM   -   RE: Hot damn!

Paleface

Thanks, Maarten. That bass at 1:15 is actually just my left hand on the rhodes patch - it's got a lovely bottom end.

Come on, people; couldn't someone listen to my stuff for once? I've bothered to upload it, after all...

Message 4/8             07-Apr-02  @  04:21 PM   -   RE: Hot damn!

xoxos

Link?: Link

yeah, liked your keys a lot, but the guitar, bass riff (except the scaling) and drums were just way too 'all the party people' for moi. i'm not well et c.

Message 5/8             08-Apr-02  @  07:33 PM   -   RE: Hot damn!

knowa

very nice on that rhodes...the guitar is kinda halfway between tight and funky and loose and nasty--I think you should make it go more in one dicertion or thr other. I kinda wanted a ridiculous vocal e.g."You give me fever!/'s why I'm a believer"

I like this kind of music but I think if you're not doing it live, it sounds best when you do a bit of studio trickery. I know he's the guy to love-to-hate but I think that huge fatboy slim track "funk soul brutha" did that really well. since you're never gonna really cop that live vibe, you should exploit the medium you're working in. no disrespect though--I just have a lot of opinions. good work.

Message 6/8             08-Apr-02  @  11:23 PM   -   RE: Hot damn!

Paleface

Yeah. Maybe get more creative with the sampler and drop some mangled breaks in - especially just before that walking bass enters.

The guitar's the first two bars of a Blur track, "There's No Other Way". I might have a noodle with a filter or something on it, fake up some wah. I do prefer it tighter and scratchier, I guess - not quite Nile Rogers, but almost!

I have been a bit lazy with the new sampler - have been slowly building up a library from the net, mapping out some drumkits (need to do an 808 set), Teledisking some stuff like the Rhodes over and playing with breaks. I really ought to sit down and do a found-sound only track, but it'll take time - and seeing as I'm really busy with Uni work, it can wait. This summer... three months of holiday... or at least studio time  

But thanks for the tips, knowa; and you're right on the Fatboy Slim reference... just in terms of arrangement, there's stuff in him that's worth looking at (and whilst I think that second album was bollocks, the third one rates relatively highly in my book). Cool. Good to feel I'm making some kind of progress... if it is a little slow because of the pressures of academia.

Message 7/8             09-Apr-02  @  09:55 AM   -   RE: Hot damn!

k

yeeehaw! - Stevie ray gets funky!... I'd like to hear less verb on the guitar meself, drums & bass UP (but not the bass break riff, keys down a bit.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 8/8             09-Apr-02  @  11:30 PM     Edit: 09-Apr-02  |  11:34 PM   -   RE: Hot damn!

Paullyboy8440

Link?: Link

ooh nice, i'm quite fond of the funk/breaks combo.

BTW - I love ur Rainy Days Song. I really like those strings/pads man.

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)