aaa chorus on mQ bass patch - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: chorus on mQ bass patch

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             08-Apr-02  @  11:48 PM     Edit: 09-Apr-02  |  12:05 AM   -   chorus on mQ bass patch

marianimal

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

It's making it sound nice & fat, I have the speed set really low so it's smooth, but the oscillation is audible every 8 beats or so (@84 bpm), as a dropout in volume. How to get around it? Chorus not good for bass patches?

The weird thing is that going thru my stereo & out my monitors, I didn't hear this at all. Thru the headphone jack on the mQ, it's kind of obvious. Through my roommate's mixer & out his monitors, it's very obvious. Makes me wonder what other problems might be hiding in there.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             09-Apr-02  @  12:40 AM   -   RE: chorus on mQ bass patch

marianimal

Ok, turns out that when we send the signal in stereo it solves the problem. But I thought it was supposed to be better to use mono output for bass. Guess not for this particular one.

Message 3/9             09-Apr-02  @  12:56 AM   -   RE: chorus on mQ bass patch

Bit Crusher

Link?:  Link

That shouldnt be doing that, I did read on the waldof message list that the headphone jacks are kinda iffy though. I dont use em so ... Ill have to try to make a chorus bass patch like yours when I get home and see if I can duplicate it. Upload a sysex patch if you want and I can test it out. About mono being better for bass patches, it really doesnt matter I dont think, Im going to try and make a patch that has a hpf on the left output and lpf on the right. Then let and lfo mod the pan left and right baaak and forth. Maybe it wont turn out to be a bass patch but hey, thats the fun of it.

Message 4/9             09-Apr-02  @  05:36 AM   -   RE: chorus on mQ bass patch

marianimal

Hey thanks so much. What type of program should I send the sysex to? Here I have mostly the free(ish) stuff, Cool 96, Coolse, Acid.

Message 5/9             09-Apr-02  @  09:31 AM   -   RE: chorus on mQ bass patch

Pongoid

Link?: Link

Some phase cancellation is normal in detuning effects. Choruses I find work best in stereo, Flangers too, as the phase cancellations come at different times in the stereo field. In mono, you just have ti try to fake it, and speed up or slow down the chorousing rate.

A better trick to get around that, if you don't have to use both filters already, is to use the second filter serially in Comb- or + (I can't remember which is which) and you just set a mod source to one of your LFO's, then set the res, cut-off and range high or low enough that the cancellation is minimized while still giving you a fat sound. You adjust the amount of serial/parallel to add or remove the amount of chorusing that you want. Smart designers, these Waldorf folks. ;) Hope this helps.

Ape

Message 6/9             09-Apr-02  @  04:54 PM   -   RE: chorus on mQ bass patch

marianimal

Cool, thanks. I didn't even realize I could modulate btwn serial & parallel. Also found a section in the manual describing how to use the comb filters themselves to create chorus, which could be cool.

Message 7/9             09-Apr-02  @  07:44 PM   -   RE: chorus on mQ bass patch

Bit Crusher

Link?:  Link

Thanks Pongoid! thats why you are the man.
Marianimal: depends on what sequencer you are using you can just record the sysex dump from the mQ justl ike midi and just upload the midi file or whatever as a message attatchement (have to be loged in though) ps. speaking of free software logic fun has to be the best freebie sequencer around I think. ftp://ftp2.emagic.de/pub/logicfun/logicfun481.zip

Message 8/9             09-Apr-02  @  10:43 PM   -   RE: chorus on mQ bass patch

Pongoid

Link?: Link

Perhaps you can't modulate between serial and parallel on the µQ. I think it may only be the full version that will do this, now that you mention it. You maybe just have to do it serially, and then adjust the res and cutoff to get the desired effect. In a worst case scenario, you've sequenced the line, recorded it dry, and effected, and then blend it in post. Aaahhh, the joys of multi-tracking. ;) More than one way to skin a cat.

Ape

Message 9/9             10-Apr-02  @  11:24 AM   -   RE: chorus on mQ bass patch

marianimal

No, you were right, it does allow routing modulation. We recorded it in stereo & I think it sounds good but I'll try that little trick anyway just for kicks.

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)