aaa Is emu the rfx32 card any good? - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: Is emu the rfx32 card any good?

Viewing all 14 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/14             01-May-02  @  03:27 AM   -   Is emu the rfx32 card any good?

boo_meister

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Sez it all really...

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/14             01-May-02  @  05:01 AM   -   RE: Is emu the rfx32 card any good?

influx

Link?: Link

Steve?

Personally for that money I would rather get a multi FX box, or some dope plugins (if DA is your thing) because then youre not limited to applying those sounds to only whats in your sampler

they would have to be a LOT better than the standard Emu FX because, well, as we all know, those SUCK

Message 3/14             01-May-02  @  02:39 PM   -   RE: Is emu the rfx32 card any good?

steve

supposedly its not fantastic. Depends on what price you can get it for really.

Message 4/14             01-May-02  @  06:16 PM   -   RE: Is emu the rfx32 card any good?

k

Link?:  Link

if you use a sequencer like VST or Logic etc & dont play live, then it MIGHT be better to get multi-outs feeding into a computer multi-in rack such as the delta 1010, ews88 or Hoontech c-port etc... That way, you can add plugin fx in realtime instead, offering a much more flexible path to getting fx onto your e-mu outs... but as i say, that's only really practical for studio/composition use... live it's a non-starter...

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/14             02-May-02  @  06:47 PM   -   RE: Is emu the rfx32 card any good?

Brett

what happend to all the third party development they were talking about. If you could see the kind of commitment that manufactures are giving to the da8, powercore,a dn even the uad-1, it might be an amazing thing. But I don't see the sales there to bring in the plug-in developers.

The architecture of the card is very cool though. You can send right down to the sample level to any fx If I remember right, and can configure the inputs as fx sends from other hardware. So it is a mixer, and dsp mutlti fx unit. You can save and load those setups on demand.

I'd like to see an analog modeling card in the next emu. And real plug-ins like waves stuff,antares etc.

Message 6/14             08-May-02  @  03:04 AM   -   RE: Is emu the rfx32 card any good?

Brett

meant mackie D8b

Message 7/14             25-May-02  @  10:10 AM   -   RE: Is emu the rfx32 card any good?

Purusha

The RFX is quite powerful in terms of features.

You effectively get something like 14 multi-fx units in one card, with mind-boggling potential routing capabilities.

Not sure the reverbs sound as good as some, but they're OK.

Everything else is pretty cool though.

I reckon it's worth it.

I've got my e5k connected via ADAT to my 01v, which means I can route into and out of the RFX in pretty much any configuration I like.

Like I say - powerful.

One feature I find really useful is the effects sends, which means I can send effects from each of 16 channels to external effects. That means 16 (16 tacks) possible external reverb levels. There are 2 main fx sends, but others can be used. That basically means that the standard 2 stereo output e5k becomes much more useful IMO.

Purusha

Message 8/14             26-May-02  @  10:44 PM   -   RE: Is emu the rfx32 card any good?

Brett

yes , with the inputs it is a digital mixer/fx unit. But what happend to all the hype about third party fx and filters. I have not seen any of the companies coming forward to release plug-ins yet. Not like they have for the D8b, powercore, and uad-1. I would like to see TC, Lexicon, and even Waves , come up with some algorytnhs for it. Live and in the studio, it would be a killer tool.

Message 9/14             27-May-02  @  01:52 PM   -   RE: Is emu the rfx32 card any good?

milan

well, Yamaha has TC, waves, and antares...

Message 10/14             27-May-02  @  06:19 PM   -   RE: Is emu the rfx32 card any good?

Purusha

Unfortunately, it probably doesn't have a big enough user base for 3rd parties to want to develop for it.

Still - Emu's got some more *free* plug-ins on the way in June...

Purusha

Message 11/14             27-May-02  @  07:51 PM   -   RE: Is emu the rfx32 card any good?

Brett

have they added additional filters with a bit of more agression than the onboard filters into a plug-in for the rfx? The onboard are creamy like my mks-80, but somtimes you want a little chirp and squeal. Some filter distortion would be nice.

Waves for yamaha isn't a plug-in thing though. It's a hard wired MiniY card that just does those fx. Not plug-in architecture I thought. If you have info on that tell me more about it.

Message 12/14             27-May-02  @  08:32 PM   -   RE: Is emu the rfx32 card any good?

milan

what do you meant "its just a card"?

FX on d8b are also dependant from plug-in cards. of course, you can purchase additional fx separately, but you´re stuck with the DSP which is dependant on how many fx cards you have installed. and everytime you want to use another plugin you have to wait for it to "download" itself from the mainframe onto the card, which takes quite a bit let me tell ya. lets say i never change plugins during a session.

i find the yamaha plugin card solution more elegant in any case, because the fx are always there for one, and you dont have to choose between those and native fx, but have access to both in parallel. on the other hand, you can have many more different plugs on the d8b.

and btw, waves card also has optical i/o on board , so your connectivity isnt compromised by losing a slot. on the other hand you can install many (cant remember exactly but its a lot, 8-10 i think) cards on the d8b, but loading all those effects would be comparable to loading samples from a floppy, if you know what i mean.

my2p, M.

Message 13/14             27-May-02  @  08:32 PM   -   RE: Is emu the rfx32 card any good?

milan

sorry if this was completely OT...

Message 14/14             28-May-02  @  04:48 AM   -   RE: Is emu the rfx32 card any good?

Brett

the wave my card has optical huh. Due to power issues in the o1v many of the my cards don't work, like the apogee.

Viewing all 14 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)