aaa best sequencer - Live / PA / gigging forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Live / PA / gigging

Subject: best sequencer

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             07-May-02  @  01:03 AM   -   best sequencer

jp

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

well, i'm thinkin' of putting together a live rig and experimenting. i've been inspired by my roommate who, in my opinion, is one of the best performers i've seen as far as electronic dance music. he uses the mmt8 to sequence. i don't know, that just seems so archaic. surely there must be something better by now. i think he sticks to it because it's what he knows and because of the ease in tempo changes. but i'm wondering what other possabilites are out there. anyone got any suggestions?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             07-May-02  @  11:13 PM   -   RE: best sequencer

brentym

Link?: Link

yamaha RM1X. you can get them pretty cheap these days ($400-500)

16 tracks, 8 knobs, mute groups, usable (relative) internal synth engine.

great for controlling external gear.

Message 3/5             08-May-02  @  03:08 PM   -   RE: best sequencer

Brett

you can find the old akai sequencer , the asq-10 I think. It's the sequencer from the old mpc-3000. Four midi ports, floppy drive. hard to find, but I see them on e-bay for a few hundred. I sold my MMT-8's years ago. They are solid, but they are not a sequencer. They are a midi recorder and arranger. I say they, because there are two. Get the black one if you are buying. It has a different os.

And to note, a laptop is just fine for sequencing live. Many big name acts use laptops and racked pc's for sequencing. Even U2 was using studio vision on a few mac's to do midi at their gigs.

Message 4/5             08-May-02  @  03:11 PM   -   RE: best sequencer

Brett

File?:  [image]

[image file]

Here is what www.Vintagesynth.com has to say

"Akai's first desktop sequencer was the ASQ-10 and it was amazing. Up to 99 sequences, 99 tracks, 60,000-note capacity, 3.5" built-in disk drive and sophisticated real-time or step recording and programming. Overdubbing, punch in/out, track soloing and a big LCD data screen. Extensive edit-ability, recording features and MIDI implementation make the ASQ-10 one of the best stand-alone MIDI sequencers around. (1986/7) "

Message 5/5             09-May-02  @  06:57 PM   -   RE: best sequencer

saturntheory

I'm on the RM1X vote. I've had one for a year and a half and I don't know how I ever played parties with my clunky old XPxx.

The RM1X makes for a great drum machine but the synth SUCKS!!! It's totally useless. The drums are editable though and you get as many drum channels as you want. It's the best hardware sequencer i've ever used!

errata

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)