aaa vocal synthesis? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: vocal synthesis?

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/15             27-May-02  @  05:39 PM   -   vocal synthesis?

milan

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hi guys... i´ve been thinking about trying to sythesize some vocal-like patches on my uQ. i know that some wavetable sounds have a vocal like quality to them, but on the other hand, uQ doesnt have any formant filters. nevertheless, those choir patches still sound tasty.

does anyone have any expirience with this? i´m looking for any tips. how to start, where to go from there etc... i did some analysing of Q´s choir patches, but have heard many peeps do it better...

i know this may look like a newbie question to some of you, but hey you know me, i share my knowledge, so i´d appreciate someone else´s this time  

M.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/15             27-May-02  @  06:23 PM   -   RE: vocal synthesis?

steve

can't really help too much, but I know all the Yam fm stuff was marketed in Nippon for its vocal synth capabilities - works fine for Japanese as they use a lot of oo aaa eee sounds, but not so well on western tongues.

So anyway - mebbe try messing with the fm stuff on the uq?

Message 3/15             27-May-02  @  08:37 PM   -   RE: vocal synthesis?

milan

mebbe  

but i dont really understand FM. i talked to x last nite about it. even after reading tutorials i´m still like "so what does it do?" meaning, "what the hell do i do with it!"  

thanks anyway steve, i´ll keep on "fiddling about untill it sounds good"  

Message 4/15             27-May-02  @  09:34 PM   -   RE: vocal synthesis?

Stefan

Hello Milan,

the "formant" waves are in the Alt2-Table, around wave 50 until 80 or so.
A good starting point might be as follows: Set an Osc to Alt2-Waves, Pulsewidth 65 and use a slow LFO (speed 15) with a triangle wave as PWM source with an amount of 42.
Some choir patches use keytrack as mod source for pulsewidth to have different waves on different keys. You can use one of the envelopes to modulate the pulsewidth, different waves as a startpoint, you might stack the vocal waves withe.g. a saw or pulse wave, finetune with the filters etc.
There are thousands of possibilities to make a choir sound and millions of possibilities to spoil it ;-)

Regards
Stefan

Message 5/15             27-May-02  @  09:44 PM   -   RE: vocal synthesis?

milan

you rule  

actually, i was playing with wavetables just beforehands. starting point: around 65, and lfo modulation at +38. hehehe...and thanks a bunch for the tips, i´ll try them out asap. you´ve given me some food for thought.

btw, i dl-ed your soundset for uQ. you got some seriously MAD! sounds in there. thanks  

Message 6/15             28-May-02  @  04:22 PM   -   RE: vocal synthesis?

milan

boy did i end up with some stupid sounds last nite... like a japanese choir going AIIIYAAA! not what i was going for, but its a start  

Message 7/15             28-May-02  @  08:31 PM   -   RE: vocal synthesis?

milan

ok... i´m now at x-modulating the formant waves with a sine at different frequencies/octaves and such. cool. making headway. now its growling  

btw, i always wandered what all the waves within wavetables are, like if part of a wavetable contains formant shapes, where do the the others come from? . anyone knows?

probly not a practical question, but i´m curious...

Message 8/15             29-May-02  @  03:49 AM   -   RE: vocal synthesis?

nothingnewhere

you have to make your own formant. use lowpass and bandpass filters at different cutoff, lfo, env, keytrack, etc settings. use pulsewave oscs, dont modulate the pw too much.

Message 9/15             29-May-02  @  05:41 PM   -   RE: vocal synthesis?

Pongoid

12db hi-pass blended in the right places does wonders too.

Ape

Message 10/15             29-May-02  @  08:20 PM     Edit: 29-May-02  |  08:20 PM   -   RE: vocal synthesis?

milan

File?:  File

MivocDT.mp3

thanks a LOT for the tips guys! DT massive comes thru once again  

using your tips i´ve gotten pretty far in just two short days. i´ve decided to share the results with you. check the mp3 file. and if anyone is intersted i can post the patch on the site somewhere. no guarantee it´ll sound the same on Q, you know the drill...

cheers all, M.

Message 11/15             29-May-02  @  08:28 PM   -   RE: vocal synthesis?

milan

oh, and please ignore my crap playing skills. the file is just a few bits edited together. and i forgot to put in a bit from the lower octaves, which sounds just wicked.

thanks yet again, love, M.

Message 12/15             29-May-02  @  11:02 PM   -   RE: vocal synthesis?

influx

cool!

Message 13/15             30-May-02  @  12:37 AM   -   RE: vocal synthesis?

blacktrax

Like it, Milan :-)

Some more weird µQ single sounds are on the above mentioned site ;-)

Message 14/15             30-May-02  @  12:48 AM   -   RE: vocal synthesis?

Stefan

And here's an example of my upcoming µQ-GM-soundset. The little swing band isn't quite in tune and needs some practice concerning the timing, but I am really proud about the GM-sax,violin and trumpet ;-))

Message 15/15             30-May-02  @  11:49 AM   -   RE: vocal synthesis?

milan

hehe... thanks stefan. btw, your sounds have given me more than enough homework for next five years, no need to pile on more!

the swing band is funny, keep at it. and the clavinet melody cracks me up, good sense of humor  

tnx influx too ;)

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)