aaa eqs vs eciters - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: eqs vs eciters

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             16-Jun-02  @  07:22 PM   -   eqs vs eciters

proximus

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hello,

I've recently experimented a bit with an exciter and I 'think' it sounds sweet with a little excitement in the mix, but what's the difference between an exciter and an equalizer?

I've heard that overuse of exciters are not good.

Thanks in advance

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             16-Jun-02  @  07:54 PM   -   RE: eqs vs eciters

j-type

Link?:  Link

An exciter synthesizes high-frequency harmonic distortion related to the input signal and adds it to the signal. An EQ doesn't, just boosts and cuts certain frequencies.

Message 3/5             16-Jun-02  @  08:03 PM   -   RE: eqs vs eciters

proximus

ok, I see. Do you use exciters or are you anti-exciter kinda fella?  

I'm not sure at all that exciters make the sound better.. some way I feel it does, another way I don't. *confused*

Message 4/5             16-Jun-02  @  09:58 PM   -   RE: eqs vs eciters

j-type

Link?:  No link

I don't use exciters, but I do use an enhancer (SPL Vitalizer) which to my ears, is much better. Doesn't sound harsh, sounds smooth and airy in the top end with clarity in the mids. The mid-range is crucial. The Vitalizer basically adds an equalised and phase-shifted side-chain to the material you put through it, which is as good as you can get in terms of 'natural' sounding processing. Clever unit, a very subtle sound compared to the obvious 'fizz' of an exciter.

The term 'exciter' is often used to describe enhancers as well, but strictly speaking 'exciter' is an Aphex process (synthesis of high-freq distortion) and 'enhancer' pretty much covers everything else (SPL, BBE, Joemeek etc.) which use combinations of dynamic equalisation and phase-shifting/cancellation.

Not that exciters are bad things - if I wanted to make single parts stick out in a mix I'd consider an exciter (prefer valve distortion for this though) but I really only use my Vitalizer on complete mixes when the mix calls for it. There is a school of thought that says 'you should do it all in the mix' but if there's a unit I can strap across the mix to make it sound great with a couple of knob twirls, I'm gonna use it! I like an easy life  

Message 5/5             16-Jun-02  @  10:23 PM   -   RE: eqs vs eciters

proximus

excellent  
Thanks for the info mate.

I'm using the "multiband harmonic exciter" from iZotope Ozone. I discovered it when I downloaded their free plugin from winamp.com, the plugin made my already mastered track sound so much sweeter, more musical I think.

I've only added excitement on the whole mix. I've been experimenting with it today and tried to add it before mastering and after mastering. I think it sounds best when I add it before mastering.. but it could be my mastering and the track.

As you said, not all tracks need mastering. I tried to add it on my latest track but I didn't like it. But when I added excitement to a trance track of mine it got really really sweet :P

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)