aaa Need some serious advice... - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Need some serious advice...

Viewing all 43 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5

Original Message 1/43             09-Aug-02  @  04:15 PM     Edit: 09-Aug-02  |  04:16 PM   -   Need some serious advice...

Steve Roughley

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I posted a message earlier asking about a synth for strings and pads. After considering the advice I was given and after some serious thinking I have decided to go for either the Virus C or the SupernovaII Rack, as they can do alot more than strings and pads and I will make a hell of a lot of use out of them.

Now that it is comming to purchasing the synth I would like to know if any one has any advice as to which I should go for. I have tested the synths and found them both to be excellent. But I didn't like the Supernovas effects, and it's percussive sounds seemed a bit weak. The reverb sounds absolutely terrible. Nor did I like the Virus interface, in particular the way that you have to use the menu to access the third oscilator (ironic from a company called access) but the virus did sound bloody fantastic. The thing is, I only got about an hour to try them out so I have booked two hours with the shop to give them a good workout. Does any one have anything to tell me about either synth? Particularly, anything that I should look out for when testing them? Do either have any limitations that the other covers? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help!

Steve.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/43             09-Aug-02  @  04:50 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

milan

Link?: Link

aw come ON! they will both suit you perfectly well, and neither one of them does "real" strings. and with virus C you have full access to the 3rd osci. supernova allegedly sounds "softer" but thats as far as it goes. do the eenie-miny-moe if you cant decide.

Message 3/43             09-Aug-02  @  04:55 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

99devils

The Virus has sampled waveforms available for each of the main oscillators, the Nova doesn't have that. They're useful for all sorts of stuff from hard leads to PPG-type pads. The virus also has two independent filters.. The Supernova seems to have some "split filter types", but I assume they're like the Nord 3 in that they aren't independant.

On the other hand, when I played with the Nova, I thought it would make a great pad synth. It has a warm, squishy soft sound to the pads, while the virus is harder and more in-your-face sounding.

Good luck!

-Craig
-Craig

Message 4/43             09-Aug-02  @  05:09 PM     Edit: 09-Aug-02  |  05:11 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

Steve Roughley

Cheers for your advice fellas! The thing is Milan, I am a student and £1000 is ALOT of money for me to spend. I want to make sure that I get this absolutely right! After spending that kind of money, it is fair to want to be completely satisfied.

Regards.

Steve.

Message 5/43             09-Aug-02  @  05:24 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

milan

ah... i understand you perfectly  

but i still think that both are going to suit you very well! just go ahead with it, i dont think you could possibly regret either synth!

Message 6/43             09-Aug-02  @  05:50 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

99devils

I'd agree with Milan. My Virus has certainly never let me down.

-Craig

Message 7/43             09-Aug-02  @  07:33 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

Maarten

Besides, the Virus has at least two freely assignable knobs... I only use one for portamento but I think you should be able to assign two parameters for the 3rd osc, no? Can someone confirm? I've never fiddled with a nova though...

-M-

Message 8/43             09-Aug-02  @  08:45 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

the knowa

before you get distracted by all the dope sounds both of these will certainly make, try think of what you KNOW that YOU want/need--e.g. a flexible arppegiator--and see which one you like better for the puropses you've already chose. and relax b/c either way you end up with a dope synth.

Message 9/43             09-Aug-02  @  08:59 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

k

Link?:  Link

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!... you're a student and you've got a grand to spend on a synth!!!!!!!!!!! - something fucking wrong there.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 10/43             09-Aug-02  @  09:02 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

Mindspawn

Doing the two hour "testing" should sort you out. They're both tasty synths with lots of potential for pads and such. You hear both of 'em on a lot of trax, so I dunna think you can really go wrong. Still, if you ever run across a Juno or Prophet (sometimes below $300 US) you can do some seriously tasty pads with those, too. However, those will not cover the bases, not even close, to what can be done programming-wise for sound on the VAs.

Message 11/43             09-Aug-02  @  09:06 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

Steve Roughley

K, the money is comming at a cost. I won't be able to go out, eat, or generally live for about 3 months. But with the new kit, I wouldn't have done any of those things anyway. As long as I can afford enough beer to keep me going  

Thanks for all of your help guys!

Steve.

Message 12/43             09-Aug-02  @  10:20 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

influx

I find it hard to believe that you would find something to complain about the virus C series!

Message 13/43             09-Aug-02  @  11:35 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

Steve Roughley

The main thing that I was worried about is buying one or the other and finding a problem or feature that was solved on the one that I didn't purchase.

Regards.

Steve.

Message 14/43             11-Aug-02  @  07:43 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

Brett

if you use them more you will start to hear the little digital buzz in the high end of the filter on the supernova and the inherant steps. it is no where near as realistic and creamy as the virus with the smoothing feature. it caculates the steps between the midi contolers to smooth out the filter transitions. Also when layering tracks the supernova's tends to get muddy quick since the sounds are kind of puffy and round with a lot of hamonics. the virus is sharper and cleaner when layered and leaves more space for sounds to break through. 16 verses 8 parts. both good, but the virus is a better value.

I have a juno 106, and a mks-80 super jupiter for sale. they are both great for pads , but the mks-80 is the creamiest I have had the pleasure of playing. and the leads on it are sick.

Message 15/43             11-Aug-02  @  11:58 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

Steve Roughley

That's the kind of info that I am after. Cheers for your help Brett.

Regards.

Steve.

Message 16/43             12-Aug-02  @  10:11 AM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

influx

Have to say I feel ya on the "buy one, wish for the other thing" but there are SO many satisfied virus users..and...well..sadly there are plenty of upset novation customers!

Message 17/43             12-Aug-02  @  10:09 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

Scott Digweed

Hold on a second there... before you go off and buy the Virus C, consider this alternative:

Waldorf Q series.

I have a uQ and the pads are AWESOME. But they are DIFFERENT than my Virus B pads. uQ analog string pads and simulated wind pads are a bit brighter and airy than the Virus, i.e. they sound a bit "higher resolution" to my ears. You won't hear any stepping in the uQ filters. I am NOT saying the uQ is better than the Virus. It really is a matter of personal taste.

Go out and play the uQ and Virus. You have to hear them in person to know the difference I am describing.

Best of Luck!

Scott

Message 18/43             12-Aug-02  @  10:40 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

brett

those waldorf knobs a crap. they are full rotary 360, but the catch is they are velocity sensetive. so when you turn them qucikly they jump to some position far from where you were making it very dificult to tweek an acid line fast. or do any edit where you need to do a fast trun then go back to where you were. so forget about that. they are only good for editing the soudns not realtime tweeking. I ended up using an external controler for my microwave xt. i was pissed. i only got the xt for all the extra knobs and they did me no good. They are how ever dirt cheap now. You can get a uQ for around $400 new. nova musikj and others are blowing them out. But the virus is the virus, and would have one any day over a Q. Nothing except a nord gets hard and edgy like a virus. And the nord is only 4part. the virus is 16 with good fx.

Message 19/43             12-Aug-02  @  10:58 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

influx

but..the XT...the knobs arent the same on the newer Q and the like...

but yeah..forgot about waldorf (didnt the original post ask only about novation and access?)...

then theres the full blown Qsynth..pretty ill!

Message 20/43             12-Aug-02  @  11:36 PM     Edit: 12-Aug-02  |  11:45 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

Steve Roughley

Yeah, I've been recommended the Waldorf and the Nord synths by a couple of local producers. The Nord modular looks awesome, but a bit OTT for what I am after. What are the Kurzweils like? These have also been recommended, but aren't very hands-on (buttons not knobs).

Regards.

Steve.

Message 21/43             13-Aug-02  @  02:52 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

99devils

Kurzweils are samplers, the rest are virtual analog.

The Q/uQ does have those damned velocity sensitive knobs. I hate those damn things, but that's probably because I'm not used to them. The Q is certainly worth considering.

The Nord Lead is highly highly highly underrated by peeps around here. Getting cheap these days too. The modular might be over the top for you, but a Lead II and a nice effects box might be just the ticket   And the Virus can still get nastier for the most part, but the FM on the Nord can tear your house down!

-Craig

Message 22/43             13-Aug-02  @  03:23 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

Steve Roughley

Thanks for all of your help guys. I am off to test the synths this weekend, and will make the purchase in about 1 to 2 weeks. It really looks like I will be going for the Virus though.

Thanks again. Your help is really appreciated.

Regards.

Steve.

Message 23/43             13-Aug-02  @  04:10 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

mikec

What about getting a Nova (the desktop one)? With the OS upgrades it's virtually a SupernovaII with less polyphony.

And then you could buy something like a JV-1010 for pads including string samples and the like.

MikeC

Message 24/43             13-Aug-02  @  05:33 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

Steve Roughley

When I heard the Virus, it did exactly the kinds of pads that I am after. But when I heard the String recreations on the SupernovaII I was quite taken back. This is the main thing that stopped me from going for the Virus right away. The thing is, I have just been downloading string multisamples off of the net, which, once loaded into the EXS24, sound absolutely briliant. I must say that I am very, very impressed with the EXS24. It's an awesome sampler! So it really looks like the Virus is the right choice. But I will know for sure once I test the synths.

Cheers.

Steve.

Message 25/43             13-Aug-02  @  06:30 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

influx

oh..just have to say..someone said something about the virus osc 3 being in a menu? on the C series?

nope. I have my KC in hand now, and Osc 3 is front panel accessible

Message 26/43             13-Aug-02  @  06:35 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

99devils

Influx you lucky fucker.. I want a KC sooo bad.

-Craig

Message 27/43             13-Aug-02  @  07:12 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

Steve Roughley

Great. That was one thing that I was hesitant about, as my friend has the Virus B (non-keyboard) and the 3'rd osc was hidden.

Cheers.

Steve.

Message 28/43             13-Aug-02  @  09:25 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

Scott Digweed

no shit... osc. C is front-panel on Virus C???

damnit ole!!! I knew that I would get screwed ordering my Virus B earlier this year. :-/

quick access to the suboscillator would so ing nice... oh well.

time to get laid. ;-P

Scott

Message 29/43             13-Aug-02  @  10:10 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

Steve Roughley

I see, each osc is selectable by way of three buttons. Something that should have been done a long, long time ago! I can't wait to try this thing out!

Regards.

Steve.

Message 30/43             13-Aug-02  @  10:42 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

influx

now the FOURTH osc..well..thats in a menu I think

Message 31/43             14-Aug-02  @  04:46 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

swanofnever

you're such a lucky bastard.

Message 32/43             14-Aug-02  @  06:12 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

influx

heh. fortunate, yes. Lucky, no 

I did get hooked up on this one. You know whats funny? so far I HATE the interface! Im so used to the older version...all these buttons are confusing!!!

Message 33/43             14-Aug-02  @  09:41 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

Scott Digweed

i'll trade you my B for your C. where you live? :-]

Scott

Message 34/43             17-Aug-02  @  04:02 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

Steve Roughley

WOW! I gave the VirusKC a good test and am sold. One thing I couldn't try though, can you route an external signal through the Virus filters? The salesman told me you can do this with the effects, but I forgot to ask if I can apply the filters as well.

Regards.

Steve.

Message 35/43             17-Aug-02  @  06:08 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

influx

yes

and no thanks on the trade. I have a KB here too 

Message 36/43             17-Aug-02  @  06:56 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

Steve Roughley

Awesome! Thanks for all of your help people! It has been very usefull, I'll be buying a Virus next week now. Can't wait!

Regards.

Steve.

Message 37/43             20-Aug-02  @  08:48 AM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

influx

hey, wait.

was i helpful?

wow! Im not a dick!

Message 38/43             20-Aug-02  @  09:30 AM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

psylichon

I hate to throw a wrench into things, but I have have to say this:

I have a Nova and always considered it a premier pad machine (I've also used a Virus, Wavestation, and other synths good at pads). Then I tried Absynth. I'd now sell the Nova if it didn't have knobs.

If you're not opposed to soft synths, Absynth produces, without a doubt, the most amazing pads of any synth, hard or soft. This is my opinion, but there are sounds in the the pads bank that are truly transcendental. And you can't argue with 64-breakboint envelopes when it comes to sound evolution. Hell, you can draw your own waveform for the osc if it doesn't have enough harmonics for ya! It's amazing! Check out a crack if you have to, but this thing is worth every penny.

You many need to run it through some outboard effects (software or hardware) as it doesn't do the most convincing reverb, but it's effects are quite startling and unique and useful in their own way.

PLEASE check out Absynth if you really are interested in saving money here. I think you'll be surprised.

psylichon

Message 39/43             20-Aug-02  @  09:58 AM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

Steve Roughley

Unfortunately I can't use soft-synths on my machine. If you check my posts under Logic, you will see that I have tried everything and can't get them to work. Cheers for the advice though. :¬)

Regards.

Steve.

Message 40/43             20-Aug-02  @  10:16 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

99devils

You can run external audio through pretty damn near the entire synth engine. FX, envelopes, and filters.

-Craig

Message 41/43             22-Aug-02  @  08:24 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

Steve Roughley

Aaaarrgh! I can't wait any longer! I was supposed to have bought one by now, but my damned savings account needs two weeks notice before withdrawl, and I completely forgot until I asked the bank teller to give me my money! Damn!

Patience is a bloody waste of time!

Regards.

Steve.

Message 42/43             22-Aug-02  @  08:36 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

knowa

buy my B for much less instead. I emailed you about this.

Message 43/43             22-Aug-02  @  10:05 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

Steve Roughley

Yeah, I returned your email but it was sent back to me saying "Failed returning message to sender". I appreciate the offer. I considered getting a Virus B as I could get it for less £££, but I am after a Virus C in particular. Mainly because you can access all the oscilators via the main interface and there are EQ's for each part and the Modulation Matrix is alot more comprehensive.

Thanks again.

Steve.

Viewing all 43 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5

There are 43 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)