aaa A Bass Forum? - Theory / composition / technique forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: A Bass Forum?

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             28-Aug-02  @  01:46 PM   -   A Bass Forum?

Drop

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I think we should have a bass forum. Anyways here's another one of my "no skills" questions.

I have 2 questions/discussion points.

1. I have been using both a Virus and more recently emagic's es1 for my bass. I'm not sure if its just me but the es1 bass patches (especially the beyond bass patch) don't sound meaty and defined until you write a bass line at the second octave. Down by C1-B1, it just sound like a low rumble. It's the same with the Reso bass patch on the virus. Down in the bottom octave it sound like a shitty "prog" bass. When you move it up to octave 2 it sound a bit comical.
It seems to me that the es1 gives a better bass sound when you use ocatve 2. Which leads me to my second question......

2. What key do you all write your tracks in? I've been using the key of "E" cos I've been reading that guitarists love this key and you can use the blues scale. I have been mainly using the notes E, G and D for my basslines. SO if I understand right I've been mainly using the root, the third and the seventh (but an octave below the root). This sounds kinda cool but when I transposed this 3 notes bassline up by 3 semitones ( ie to the root note of "G") it sounded so much better.

I know that G2 resonates at 196 herts and I have Tannoy Reveal monitors which obviously don't replicate club speakers so maybe the second octave sounds better than octave one cos my speakers don't go below 80 hertz and are more pronounced at low mid than low.

I know that yo have to write different tracks in different keys depending on the actual track but what key do you house heads tend to write in. Maybe the key of "G" is better for me than the key of "E"?

Am I thinking too hard about all this again?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             28-Aug-02  @  04:45 PM   -   RE: A Bass Forum?

Mindspawn

Link?: Link

Methinks thou doth protest too much...=) I kinda think you may be overthinking a bit, but nothin' wrong with churning the grey matter....

I hear dance bits done in just about every key, but C and A seem to be popular... just my experience... And a blues scale is generally thought of as a pentatonic minor, could be in any key, though E is quite popular among the guitar folk, then agian so is B, B flat, etc., etc....

The thing about your sound being "nicer" at the 2nd octave may well be from your monitor, but having heard the Tannoys, I dunno... They seem to do a pretty decent job even in the lower end. Not trying to imply they do good sub, but you can somewhat tell what's happening down below 80... Anyway, that could be your culprit... don't they make a sub to go along with the Reveals?

Message 3/7             28-Aug-02  @  05:16 PM   -   RE: A Bass Forum?

k

well, just double you bassline and use two parts adding an octave higher part at a lower volume to emphasis the tone/pitch. But also look at the filter settinsg etc to make sure you're not rounding out the bass so much it's a farty load of rubbish... like it's often commopn to set a higher cutoff to hear the emphasis of the pitch but them played at low volume it sounds farty, mebbe rolling the cutoff LOWER and RAISING the volume drasticaly might do the trick, but just watchout you dont knock the cutoff right round to a higher setting and blow out your speakers  

Message 4/7             28-Aug-02  @  10:38 PM   -   RE: A Bass Forum?

proximus

A is a lovely key, but I also like F. 90% of my songs are A.. it's not just because it is a lovely key but it also has something to do with the length of my PC-160A midikeyboard.. A is a nice key because it lets me do 'some' action over 2 octaves.. with F I can only go up and not down.. I can transpose but it's not the same.. I know I know I know... I should have gone for the bigger model.. but I am young and stupid. Excuse me, I'm off to pet the Nova

Message 5/7             31-Aug-02  @  11:00 PM   -   RE: A Bass Forum?

Pongoid

I like to write in D minor becasue it's such a sad key. And my amp, it goes to ELEVEN!!!

Message 6/7             02-Sep-02  @  02:51 AM   -   RE: A Bass Forum?

Steve Roughley

"I'd like to sell ladies Hats". I hope I have the correct film there Pongoid. Or I have just made myself appear rather strange.

Regards.

Steve.

Message 7/7             02-Sep-02  @  06:32 AM   -   RE: A Bass Forum?

xoxos

haha, ladies hats.

yes, it's the saddest key, you haberdasher.

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)