aaa Q or A - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

02-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Q or A

Viewing all 25 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/25             19-Sep-02  @  09:08 AM   -   Q or A

bster

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

i've had my Supernova for 3 years know and i want to get it a brother i'm undecided between a Micro Q and a Virus A, i like cutting edge sounds, hard and evolving with a bit of bite.
Is the virus different enough (sound wise) to the Supernova?

Bster

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/25             19-Sep-02  @  09:22 AM   -   RE: Q or A

Psylichon

Link?: Link

no, get a q

Message 3/25             19-Sep-02  @  01:25 PM   -   RE: Q or A

milan

yeah, get a Q. virus is just another VA whereas Q does wavetables and much more besides.

Message 4/25             19-Sep-02  @  01:31 PM   -   RE: Q or A

Maarten

Why you, do not insult one of my babies or you are in for it! :P Bah, just another VA... wash your mouth Milan

hihi

Message 5/25             19-Sep-02  @  06:31 PM   -   RE: Q or A

99devils

They are both very powerful, and both sound very good. I'd say the Virus would make the best partner for your Supernova, because the SN is nice and soft and squishy while the Virus is hard as nails. The Q falls somewhere in between.

-Craig

Message 6/25             19-Sep-02  @  10:23 PM   -   RE: Q or A

bster

so will i get an altogether different sound with the Q than with the virus and S-nova?

Message 7/25             20-Sep-02  @  01:00 AM   -   RE: Q or A

milan

you know what... just do a search, this has been covered a gazillion times before, and thats only in the last year. i could tell you a hundred times that Q would be the one to diversify your sound a bit and open you up to new possibilities normaly not accessible to va“s, no matter how well they sound. but now i wont. do a search :P

Message 8/25             20-Sep-02  @  01:57 PM   -   RE: Q or A

99devils

No, you won't get an altogether different sound out of the Q. Look, folks, they're all VAs. There's a difference in character that we synth geeks perceive, but there's not much beyond that - It's really a matter of taste. The Q's got wavetables, the Virus has sampled waves. Both can make sounds the other, and the SN, can't, but 90% of the time they do the same thing with a slightly different character.

Try to get your hands on both and experiment.

-Craig

Message 9/25             20-Sep-02  @  03:18 PM   -   RE: Q or A

Scott Digweed

I would encourage you to bring your girlfriend and ask her which one she thinks has more sex appeal. And which one she'd get nasty on, if she's that kinda grrl.

That would be the one to go with. =]

Scott

Message 10/25             20-Sep-02  @  04:25 PM   -   RE: Q or A

knowa

Link?:  Link

if you want an altogether different sound get an analog synth like a pulse (good and cheap). if you want a virus b I have one for sale.

Message 11/25             20-Sep-02  @  04:30 PM   -   RE: Q or A

99devils

If you want an altogether different sound don't get an analog or VA. Get a Microwave, or a Kawai K5000, or a Kurzweil K2000, or a Yamaha FS1R.

-Craig

Message 12/25             20-Sep-02  @  04:33 PM   -   RE: Q or A

psylichon

while not trying to confuse anyone here, I'm curious... the Virus uses sampled waves, craig? How can that be right? No dynamic sync or pwm? I was under the impression that va's (virus included) are *V*a's because they generate signals via the DCO in realtime (no sampling). Have I been wrong all this time?

psylichon

Message 13/25             20-Sep-02  @  05:48 PM   -   RE: Q or A

milan

heh psylichon, why do ya think they“d call them VIRTUAL if they used real oscilators?

and craig, i agree: if he wanted to broaden the range of sounds he shoulf get something else, not another VA.

Message 14/25             20-Sep-02  @  08:08 PM   -   RE: Q or A

errata

in answer to the original question, I'd get a waldorf! More options, more oscillators, more effects, more parts, more voices than the virus a...

parallel or serial filter routing... 3 lfos, 4 envelopes, and incredible sound! Made a jungle bass patch on the uq last night that goes DEEP sub while it's screaming! Can't seem to mix anything into it but it's beautiful all by itself...

Also, FM on 3 oscillators makes a VA that screams like a cat on heat!!!

e

Message 15/25             20-Sep-02  @  08:16 PM   -   RE: Q or A

bster

about going for a non VA i have always fancied an FS1R, so i'll think about that though it all depends on selling other gear, my budget i'll imagine will be £500 tops.

Message 16/25             20-Sep-02  @  09:42 PM   -   RE: Q or A

99devils

Psylichon - The Virus includes some sampled waveforms in addition to the VA oscillators. Your standard pulse, saw, triangle, and points in between are generated like any other VA. Alternatively, you can use the digital samples for a different texture, or you can sweep through them like a wavetable, or modulate between different sampled waves.. But they're in addition to the usual VA oscillators.

-Craig

Message 17/25             20-Sep-02  @  10:21 PM   -   RE: Q or A

psylichon

craig, cool! Thanks for the clarification. And good ass-kickin' in the club drug thread!

psylichon

Message 18/25             20-Sep-02  @  10:37 PM   -   RE: Q or A

Defector Z

Def Z's standard response...

Try an XT. Or a k2000. Or how about a Darkstar? None of them are vanilla (with the possible exception of the Kurzweil) which is a beast in a of itself.

Message 19/25             04-Oct-02  @  06:15 AM   -   RE: Q or A

marianimal

I agree that the mQ and the Virus can sound surprisingly similar. The one thing the Qs have that the Viruses don't are function generators, so you can modify your sounds mathematically. When I actually figure out how to put this feature to good use, I'll be thrilled. :-)

Yeah, if you really want something that sounds different, go for something that really IS different. A Pulse or a Microwave could be just the thing.

Message 20/25             04-Oct-02  @  06:44 AM   -   RE: Q or A

psylichon

K2500 has those fun's too. From what I've heard they're really powerful, but only really geeky mathematicians can figure out what to do with em (and their songs generally suck).

psylichon

Message 21/25             04-Oct-02  @  11:51 AM   -   RE: Q or A

j-type

K2000 could easily pass as a VA if you program it right. get a knob box, set up some VA-esque templates and don't look back.

Message 22/25             03-Nov-02  @  11:06 AM   -   RE: Q or A

djjessex

kurzweils rock hard man!

but i could not disagree more. sounds like something is pale in comparison to actually sounding analog. Wish i could afford a K2600 however buddy. that thing kicks ass after the ten years it would take to get your head around it architecture.

K makes a deep synth! How long have you had the k2000? was thinkin a gettin one.

Message 23/25             03-Nov-02  @  11:40 AM   -   RE: Q or A

k

i think one huge bonus with the k2000 besides it being so cheap s/h is that it comes with scsi & 4mb ram as bog standard so you can load some akai disk strings or loops or drums or whatever anytime - ram is cheap 72 pin simms so bumping it up is no big deal - plus you get huge edit storage space (999 locations) and then a floppy to back-up all those edits in a few seconds. - adding a zip for gig or studio loading is cheap cos scsi is included.

Message 24/25             04-Nov-02  @  08:02 PM   -   RE: Q or A

errata

sorry Jesse, Kurzweils can do VERY convincing analog emulation if you know what you're doing. The k2000 has virtualy the same synth architecture as the 2600 and I used one for a few years back around '96, '97. No control surface but the "data slider" but if you can get down into what they do, the Kurzweils are wonderful!

e

Message 25/25             05-Nov-02  @  10:15 PM   -   RE: Q or A

djjessex

I STILL disagree. I used a K2600 when i worked at guitar center and it is almost as good a Anamods if thats the sound your trying to get. most people use it to write orchestras. And it does that better than any synth ive played.

Viewing all 25 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 25 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)