aaa Eclectic Live PA - Live / PA / gigging forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

23-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Live / PA / gigging

Subject: Eclectic Live PA

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4             30-Sep-02  @  08:03 PM   -   Eclectic Live PA

Scott Digweed

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Experimental electronic music, Live PA.

There are many sound designers, professional and academia, that are into software synthesis far beyond Reason and the like. MAX/MSP is one such digital modular synthesis language I have seen, it resembles the C language. I think that once you have written your blocks of code, you can combine it with other blocks ("module"?) and create your own synth or effects. I have heard that Reactor is based on MAX/MSP.

I am wondering if any of you have experience with the above programs, and if you have tried to use them for Live PA.

I've seen several classical/electronic music "concerts" at my university in the past, where they had acoustic instruments playing into a microphone, and the grad students/professors situated FOH at the mixer and computer running MAX/MSP.

Seemed a bit avant-garde to me, yet still very cool, but in a nerdy way.

I would guess that the Nord Modular and Micromodular are ways of getting that kind of sophistication and customizable sound into a slightly more convenient and presentable package.

But I've never used digital modular synths hardware either, so any advise would be great.

In particular with regards to hardware, is it possible to run a line-level signal and use the DSP to effect it?

And is it possible to combine internal and external signals, and interact, such as in a Vocoder?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Scott

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/4             30-Sep-02  @  08:15 PM   -   RE: Eclectic Live PA

99devils

Link?: Link

I saw a demo last year, I think, put on by Bob Moog at UB where he had a guy playing a MIDI Theremin which was hooked into a device he built in MAX running on a powerbook.

It was recently ported to Windows so I assume at some point I'll dive into it. I haven't had the time recently  

-Craig

Message 3/4             30-Sep-02  @  11:35 PM   -   RE: Eclectic Live PA

Scott Digweed

Link?:  No link

do you think there are any MAX/MSP cats in the 'synth' forum that won't see this here?

Message 4/4             01-Oct-02  @  02:33 PM   -   RE: Eclectic Live PA

99devils

Link?: Link

I don't think there are any at all on this board. Like I said before, it was Mac-only for ever, just recently ported to PC. Most of us here are PC people.

-Craig

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)