aaa yamaha CS-80 in need of repair - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: yamaha CS-80 in need of repair

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             23-Oct-02  @  03:22 AM   -   yamaha CS-80 in need of repair

Hydrobilly

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Woah i just found this Yamaha CS-80 At a Garage sale for under 100 bucks from some granny. She was happy to get rid of the 200 pound piece of junk it was to her......

But i have heard a CS-80 in action and OH MY GOD its brilliant. Unfortunately this one does not seem to be getting power to the circuts....i plug it in and poof, no sound. bummer really. I have hard a hard time finding anyone that would be able to repair it in the greater los angeles area. Obviously i couldnt ship it because of the weight, so i am looking for suggestions that woud help my solve this problem locally. thanks

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             23-Oct-02  @  08:31 AM   -   RE: yamaha CS-80 in need of repair

psylichon

Link?: Link

kick it hard in the side. Works for my VCR.

psylichon

Sorry for not really helping...thought i wouldn't rule it out.

Message 3/9             23-Oct-02  @  08:47 AM   -   RE: yamaha CS-80 in need of repair

Maarten

Even if it's broken, that's a steal... congrats.

Message 4/9             23-Oct-02  @  11:05 AM   -   RE: yamaha CS-80 in need of repair

chroma

eh?

Message 5/9             23-Oct-02  @  12:13 PM   -   RE: yamaha CS-80 in need of repair

Maarten

Well, I can think of more expensive ornaments.  

Message 6/9             23-Oct-02  @  07:32 PM   -   RE: yamaha CS-80 in need of repair

nomad

no power at all, or power but no sound?

a bad power supply wouldn't surprise me at all with these old beasts.

however, i bet you will have a hard time getting a tech to look at it... there ARE some good techs in your area (kevin lightner, jl @ musictek, i've heard good things about both) but cs80s are supposed to be such a pain to work on most avoid them. well so i've heard... i haven't been so lucky as to play one (though i have played a cs15, i loved that little box).

but for starters, assuming you are either semi-technical or know someone who is:

http://www.oldcrows.net/~oldcrow/synth/yamaha/cs80/

Message 7/9             23-Oct-02  @  08:07 PM   -   RE: yamaha CS-80 in need of repair

hydrobilly

Thanks for the leads, i'll see what i can come up with....basically i plug it in and no response....so i should try and replace the power supply? the unit looks like it hasnt been thrashed or anything so i am sure the circutry is alright.....good web site though...i know some engineers that might be able to cope.

Message 8/9             23-Oct-02  @  08:47 PM   -   RE: yamaha CS-80 in need of repair

xoxos

i was going to say.. los angels? if it never goes for you, i'll swap for a fully functioning ANALOG clap device!

Message 9/9             24-Oct-02  @  04:52 PM   -   RE: yamaha CS-80 in need of repair

nomad

probably a dumb thing, but have you checked the fuses?

next step for starters would be to grab a voltmeter and check the voltages coming off the power supply (check schematics). preferably with nothing else plugged into it (remove all ribbon cables coming from PSU). that should tell you whether it's the ps.

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)