aaa I want a synth but which one? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: I want a synth but which one?

Viewing all 16 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/16             28-Oct-02  @  09:16 PM   -   I want a synth but which one?

Mike

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I've been out of the scene for a few years and technology moves on etc.. Before I had a Roland XP10 which was OK.

Can anyone recommend the best 2nd hand synth - around 300 quid which would give me some mellow analogue sounds -strings, stabs etc.. not too bothered about realistic sounds. Basically something to play around with. I have PC with Cakewalk which I use for acoustic.

Cheers

m

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/16             29-Oct-02  @  11:52 AM   -   RE: I want a synth but which one?

xoxos

Link?: Link

does cakewalk do vsti? you want to try vsti.. maybe pick up another host, like massiva.. it's only worth spending money on keys as a controller, or for a particular engine. afa synthesis, you can get everythnig for free now as vsti.

Message 3/16             29-Oct-02  @  07:16 PM   -   RE: I want a synth but which one?

psylichon

cakewalk does vsti with an adaptor. The FXPansion wrapper is the best but costs money. Can't speak for the freebies.

psylichon

Message 4/16             30-Oct-02  @  01:42 AM   -   RE: I want a synth but which one?

Def Z

What are they getting for the FXPansion deal? I'm looking for a wrapper for Cakewalk, but I don't want to spend much money...

Message 5/16             30-Oct-02  @  01:54 AM   -   RE: I want a synth but which one?

psylichon

it was 30 when i got it. well worth 50 imo

psylichon

Message 6/16             30-Oct-02  @  01:56 AM   -   RE: I want a synth but which one?

psylichon

i have an evaluation copy if you wanna try it out.

psylichon

Message 7/16             30-Oct-02  @  06:12 PM   -   RE: I want a synth but which one?

mclark

Thanks for the replies.

Firstly, can I play stuff realtime with the virtual synth stuff.

And If I do go the soft synth route what do I need - can I buy cubasis vst - will that support all these new synths.

I have a decent PC (P4 2.4, 1GB ram) with SB platinum audidgy card.

What can you recommend in terms of a good all rounder synth - I like th Roland quality orchestral/piano sounds but also want some dance/techno analogue sounds.

Thanks for any help you can give.

m

Message 8/16             30-Oct-02  @  06:31 PM   -   RE: I want a synth but which one?

d

well if you want the "Roland quality
orchestral/piano sounds" whaddabout get a
used jv1010- or jv1080-like thing for those
sounds. I imagine they contain some "techno"
sounds in ROM, too, and when you get tired of
those you can start saving for a VA.

Message 9/16             30-Oct-02  @  08:36 PM   -   RE: I want a synth but which one?

xoxos

nah nah nah NAH alright

yes you can use s/w (vsti) instruments realtime. i hate cubase. i would bnever recommend it. try it. try massiva. i dunno try muzys if you must pay.

the thing about it is that you can do all your sounds with freeware nowadays. freeware's got it all over the jv (i've got one) since you can use soundfonts to load up any acoustic sounds and you're not limited to the features and quality of the jv. an afternoon downloading soundfonts would be just as rewarding.

trying to buy things is an accomplishment wholly different from making music   buy a nice controller, with some aftertouch and one of those nice clavia sticks, save your money for soem obscure analog gear somewhere down the road but shoot your money towards freeware for synthesis. it'll do you right.

Message 10/16             31-Oct-02  @  09:58 AM   -   RE: I want a synth but which one?

mclark

OK I'm convinced. But can you recommend a setup for around 300-400 quid (i.e. controller (Midiman 61 note??), software, soundcard - to play realtime - low latency??). It's a minefield out there for the unaquainted.

thx

m

Message 11/16             31-Oct-02  @  12:47 PM   -   RE: I want a synth but which one?

Def Z

psylichon - yes, I'd love to try it out. I'll buy it if I like it. How big is the file - could you email it?

Message 12/16             31-Oct-02  @  04:25 PM     Edit: 31-Oct-02  |  04:28 PM   -   RE: I want a synth but which one?

dARKSTATe

I see you've cross posted eh?? :-)

Well to answer your question (again!).. for £300-£400 squids:

STAudio DSP24Value £89

MAudio USB Keystation61 £120

Synapse Audio ORION PLATINUM 3.5 £127 ($199)

Total = £347!!!

Check out Orion Platinum at www.synapse-audio.com - it's like Fruity Loops (some would say much better tho') :-)

Marc_D

Message 13/16             31-Oct-02  @  06:44 PM   -   RE: I want a synth but which one?

psylichon

Def Z...

I sent it to info on your website. Hope your server can handle 150k attachments.

psylichon

Message 14/16             31-Oct-02  @  09:49 PM   -   RE: I want a synth but which one?

xoxos

i forget the exact designation but there's this old korg fm keyboard - 4 octaves with aftertouch. it's the korg 707 of some kind. if you can find someone selling one used, it's make a nice controller (4 sliders) esp. with a knob box. paraphrase if you've got the itme it can be worth ging through classifieds with a browser window or two open.

Message 15/16             01-Nov-02  @  01:00 PM   -   RE: I want a synth but which one?

Def Z

psylichon - thanks! I got it - will try it out tonight. :-)

Message 16/16             01-Nov-02  @  08:23 PM   -   RE: I want a synth but which one?

Duncan Haskell

You must have a look at the waldorf pulse, it has anlogue oscs an analogue filter and digital envelopes. I have decided to sell a couple of things and track one down. The demo sounds I have heard sound lovely.
They were about 700 quid when they came out and you can now buy one brand new for £200.(Only from turnkey though I think)

Viewing all 16 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)