aaa High Time - The lounge forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: High Time

Viewing all 83 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 9

Original Message 1/83             30-Oct-02  @  07:11 PM   -   High Time

psylichon

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Anybody here get Time magazine? If not, you need to go to a newsstand and pick one up. You'll know which issue I mean... the one with the pack of joints on the cover.

Great multi-article snapshot on the state of marijuana in America today. Very honest and very very good for the movement. Seeing stuff like this in a conservative mag like Time gives me hope for America.

Anyways, lots of good stuff here, check it out...

psylichon

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/83             30-Oct-02  @  08:54 PM   -   RE: High Time

errata

It'll take more tha THC to give me hope for USA but... A Federal court approved of Doctors making Marijuana prescriptions yesterday... One small step... blah blah blah

e

Message 3/83             30-Oct-02  @  08:57 PM   -   RE: High Time

psylichon

hey, we're talking about pot here. Yeah, America's still gonna suck if they legalize it, but think of how much LESS it would suck.

A little open-mindedness towards something like marijana does a lot towards a society. It's about more than getting high.

psylichon

Message 4/83             30-Oct-02  @  09:40 PM   -   RE: High Time

xoxos

not really. i'm sure it will eventually be firmly nested in the entertainment industry culture's sapping techniques. who cares, right. come on, baby, sap me.

Message 5/83             30-Oct-02  @  10:27 PM   -   RE: High Time

psylichon

oh jeezus, you guys are just so cynical that you don't even want pot to be legalized? because it will be another tool for "da man"?

whew, it gets a bit thick around here...

psylichon

Message 6/83             30-Oct-02  @  11:34 PM   -   RE: High Time

influx

I have to say I find it amusing when a bunch of dirty hippies are chanting legalize it and then claim that they want it legal for medicinal use

skirting the issue, innit?

personally I dont care if its legal or illegal except that the drug war is a joke.

using it for medicinal purposes vs getting stoned and eating doritos are two entirely different things, but then get blurred conveniently by the dopers

Message 7/83             31-Oct-02  @  12:02 AM   -   RE: High Time

Steve Roughley

Link?:  No link

Did you know that the USA government spent over $20,000,000,000 on Marijuana control alone during the 90's? How fucking pathetic!!! Man, the worlds governments need to realise the tax potential in drugs. And fast!

Regards.

Steve.

Message 8/83             31-Oct-02  @  01:42 AM   -   RE: High Time

influx

see thats another thing...why the fuck would I want to pay taxes on something like that?

Message 9/83             31-Oct-02  @  01:46 AM   -   RE: High Time

psylichon

um... you only pay taxes on what you buy. Nothing wrong with that. I'd rather pay taxes than black-market markup. Think about it.

psylichon

Message 10/83             31-Oct-02  @  01:51 AM   -   RE: High Time

damballah

why'd you have to go and drag doritos into this?

Message 11/83             31-Oct-02  @  02:19 AM   -   RE: High Time

influx

sorry.

ok. first.

do you really want the government controlling your drugs? Id rather just have them legal and be able to grow my own weed

guess itd be different for speed freaks and all.

but...we pay enough taxes as is, man. Ive had it up to here with paying taxes to finance shit that I just dont agree with and is actually quite detrimental to the health and well-being of americans.

Message 12/83             31-Oct-02  @  02:50 AM   -   RE: High Time

Def Z

Yeah - great for my business. All the dumbasses in their SUV's destroying my equipment. Great. It's not a bout freedom. It's about getting high. Pure and simple.

Message 13/83             31-Oct-02  @  03:33 AM   -   RE: High Time

psylichon

influx, of course ideally the government would not regulate anything, especially a plant that grows in the ground (quite easily, I might add, hence the nick 'weed'). But I realize the current state of affairs (aka DRUG WAR). Hence, baby steps.

The first thing politicians think about before they legalize something as popular as pot is "how can I make money off of this?" I am not opposed to per-purchase taxes on packs of legal weed. Like taxes on cigarettes. I don't want them to take it out of your income tax, so if you don't want to pay the 'weed tax' don't smoke the 'legal weed'! There, you're not paying taxes.

I also want them to legalize growing for personal consumption, up to a specified 'personal' amount per household. This, of course, is a bit beyond a baby step.

I realize the gov. will want to keep control, at least in the beginning of legalization, so I am not opposed to taxes in that they are political lures for legalization.

Did that make sense?

psylichon

Message 14/83             31-Oct-02  @  09:36 AM   -   RE: High Time

Zazza

We should probably legalise cocaine too, so the corporate types don't feel discriminated against.

Keep crack illegal tho, mostly poor people use that... and we need more of them in prison... 2 mill and counting in the US eh? And the UK is doing its best to keep up... lots of new prisons.. excellent..

Message 15/83             31-Oct-02  @  09:38 AM   -   RE: High Time

psylichon

baby steps, zazza, baby steps.

Message 16/83             31-Oct-02  @  10:52 AM   -   RE: High Time

cheddar

Link?:  Link

damned if you do...

I was thinking of gansters extorting money from people and I though of unpopular gov't - like the whole machine (not just in power parties) not representing the people (its a sequence that starts with..."they are all cheats and liars" and ends up with taxation legislation and enforcement. so what's the difference?

weedey - wouldn't it would be nice (so my friend tells me) to think of a day when people are doing what they want without guilt, he says the paranoia is already a deal.

taxation money has got to be a winner (especially against the costs of drug war but what if the fear lever is worth more that the revenue..., it;s a lot of money so the lever would be a poweful one indeed. Have I got it right, what is the trade off for more liberalisation and why don't they want it.

hey maybee those 60's and 70's drug studies concluded that mind expansion of the populace would enable then to see through political manipulation, or possibly you would end up with a population of turnips

mongon anon anon

Message 17/83             31-Oct-02  @  02:05 PM   -   RE: High Time

Steve Webster

I love it if they legalised it. No more waiting around the dodgy Harlsden estate by the telephone box anymore. Honestly, I go and but 1 Henry every Thursday. I jump on the train, go to the phone box and make the call. It usually takes about half an hour for my man to get his arse up of the sofa, wrap it and walk down. He is always available, whatever the time of day/night but he takes so bloody long!

I'd love to be able to pop to the corner shop!

Message 18/83             31-Oct-02  @  08:31 PM   -   RE: High Time

99devils

Darin, it's not just about getting high. Almost eveyrone who wants it legalized is already getting high.

It's a symptom of the government's legislated morality.

It's an excuse to spend billions on prisons and military hardware.

It's a tool of foreign policy,

a mechanism for keeping poor countries poor (God forbid they should make money in Columbia or Afghanistan)

It's a scare tactic used for political advantage.

It's a relic of an era when the powers that be sought to disrupt and disorganize a popular political movement, namely the anti-Vietnam movement.

It's a roundabout way to enforce racism (take a look at New York's laws on posession of crack vs. possession of powder cocaine - executives blowing lines while poor minorities can only afford the rock)

Enforcement siphons money away from treatment programs.

Shall I continue?

-Craig

PS - Ask GW Bush what he thinks would do his neice more good.. 20 years in jail or rehab?

Message 19/83             31-Oct-02  @  09:13 PM   -   RE: High Time

Zazza

right on 99... !

Message 20/83             01-Nov-02  @  02:33 AM   -   RE: High Time

pict

Bang on target Craig but I can see a little bit of what DefZ is on about I don't think it would be a good thing if you had totally bombed individuals operating heavy machinery or powertools and such like.I have a chainsaw and I would never consider using it under the influence of any drug but there are people who would set about a forest after a few bongs and a stoned individual in a forest with a big chainsaw would be a dangerous combination.

Message 21/83             01-Nov-02  @  02:34 PM   -   RE: High Time

99devils

Yeah, but... I guess I'm just a fan of Darwinism. If you're that stupid, go for it. The only problem with that is that you could hurt other people.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm willing to sacrifice a few morons for the resolution of some of the above issues  

-Craig

Message 22/83             01-Nov-02  @  03:38 PM   -   RE: High Time

xoxos

dude people don't need any help being stupid. think of it: practically anythnig you introduce is going to be an improvement

Message 23/83             02-Nov-02  @  12:27 AM   -   RE: High Time

Def Z

Sorry Craig, I don't buy it. You could make those same claims for ANYTHING that has been made illegal. The fact of the matter is that if you legalize it, you have even LESS control than you do now. Look, it's bad enough that I have to deal with drunk people in the car, now I have to deal with stoned? No thanks. It's dangerous, plain and simple.

"Almost eveyrone who wants it legalized is already getting high." - that's not a true statement. There are lots of people who are not exposed to it, so they stay away from it. You can try to justify it all you want, but the fact of the matter is it's all about getting high.

Message 24/83             02-Nov-02  @  01:08 AM   -   RE: High Time

psylichon

Z-

It's all about the RIGHT to get high. The current laws do nothing to protect joe public from the stoners of the world because the stoners are STILL GETTING WEED and STILL GETTING HIGH. Deal with THAT. You have no control over something that grows out of the damned ground. Man, it's unbelievable arrogance to try and control something like that.

Legalizing weed would not mean legalizing operating heavy machinery while high. Just like there are all sorts of laws surrounding alcohol consumption, there would be laws for weed consumption. But to outlaw it completely is unwarranted, period.

Throwing someone in jail and repossesing their home/car because they get high is just neadrethal. Your old man drink some scotch or something on occasion? How would you like him locked up? Jailing people for getting high is just fucked up. And it's sad if you think that it's right. Very sad.

psylichon

Message 25/83             02-Nov-02  @  01:46 AM   -   RE: High Time

influx

darin. HONESTLY do you think that the law prevents people from using POT?

pure and simple, NO.

sure, maybe some pussies who havent seen through their programming.

and..honestly...a stoned driver really aint all that dangerous, my man.

one thing tho...ok...you dont like dealing with drunk driving...and that is illegal (and rightfully so, since it endangers others) but...do you want alcohol illegal?

probably not. because?

well, my because is again...the government has absolutely no right to tell me what I can and cant do with my own body and mind. they can DEFINITELY smack me down if I fuck up...IE endanger others with my behavior...

so...legal pot...illegal DUI of ANYTHING...

seems reasonable to me.

Message 26/83             02-Nov-02  @  02:25 AM   -   RE: High Time

pict

Psylichon I'm all for people having the choice to get high if they want as long as that getting high doesn't harm other people.The situation with alcohol is that there are penalties for irresponsible use but how would you measure if someone was too stoned on weed or not as far as I'm aware cannabis remains in the body for a considerably longer time than alcohol and it is very difficult to distinguish from blood tests or urine if someone has just taken a little puff or had a puff some days ago although I believe the Germans are looking into ways of accurately testing.In my experience most pro weed people are just as vehement about their argument as the anti weed crew and can be just as blinkered the problem is with such a polarised issue as the legalisation of cannabis is that there is a distinct lack of objectivity on both sides.

The situation that exists in the USA where heavy sentences are passed down and lives are wrecked for simply possessing a bit of weed are utterly ridiculous and the American government should get their reality spectacles on prohibition of drugs does not work and never can even in Iran where there are severe punishments for drug use it hasn't worked they have an ever growing population of junkies.

Message 27/83             02-Nov-02  @  02:34 AM   -   RE: High Time

pict

Influx I don't agree that a stoned driver isn't that dangerous I've been in some stoned states where I most certainly wasn't in any condition to drive and I don't think using a skil saw or such like is a terribly good idea the problem with toking is that you feel capable but in reality you perform differently.I'm sure you've tried recording when stoned I can't speak for you but when I listen to music I've recorded under the influence of weed it is generally more sloppy and full of mistakes compared to a straight session but at the time I recorded it it seemed to be spot on.I think weed is good for a bit of inspiration but for really getting down to serious work I think it's better to leave it out but then again different strokes and all that.

Message 28/83             02-Nov-02  @  03:47 AM   -   RE: High Time

influx

two different things

but..still..comes down to personal responsibility, as does not drinking and driving.

Id be FINE with a law that says its illegal to drive...because, again, that is putting OTHERS at risk

smoking a joint...well...as close to harmless as modern life can get!

Message 29/83             02-Nov-02  @  07:29 AM   -   RE: High Time

psylichon

I can't even imagine the good it would do the world if everyone sat down at once and smoked a nice fatty to one's head. I guarantee nothing would be the same after that.

Yeah, I'm a dreamer. Nice to meet ya.

psylichon

Message 30/83             02-Nov-02  @  08:54 AM     Edit: 02-Nov-02  |  09:16 AM   -   RE: High Time

Zazza

Smoking does impair your ability to judge speed/distance etc.. proven..

I agree with pict.. if you endanger other's lives then you deserve to be pulled up for it...

Meanwhile in the UK, abuse of alcohol is causing huge problems in the cities, extra policing.. violence etc etc

Message 31/83             02-Nov-02  @  03:07 PM   -   RE: High Time

xoxos

well if there's going to be laws to protect me from people getting high, i think there ought to be laws to protect me from people who make music like defector's. it's incredibly harmful, and it's just wrong  

Message 32/83             03-Nov-02  @  03:11 AM   -   RE: High Time

Def Z

Look - you can't compare smoking weed to drinking alcohol. Drunk and high, sure, but not smoking and drinking. To my knowledge, you wouldn't smoke a joint if you didn't want to get high. I, on the other hand, frequently consume alcohol without getting REMOTELY drunk. The whole point of smoking weed is TO GET HIGH. You can't separate the high from the joint. You CAN separate the drunk from the drink. While I don't smoke weed, and never have, I have had PLENTY of experience with stoned people (roommates all through college, you see), and I know that smoking weed is far from harmless. And Dave, I'm not a programmed pussy, so knock that shit off. Don't insult me. I've seen plenty of people ruin their lives with weed. This whole notion that pot is harmless is misleading propaganda from the movement to legalize. Dave, if you're so knowledgable about pot, how can you possibly say that it is harmless when you know it's not? (please note: I am also familiar with plenty of recreational users who appear to lead perfectly healthy lives, so I'm not Nancy Reagan saying one joint will ruin your life forever.)

And beyond that, the legalize pot movement which tends to shift towards the anti-establishment side of politics, argues that the state could regulate, tax etc. NICE! Now we're FOR government intervention? Wow.

Message 33/83             03-Nov-02  @  03:46 AM   -   RE: High Time

psylichon

"Now we're FOR government intervention?"

It's called picking the lesser of two evils. Yes, I'd rather have the gov tax weed than make it illegal. Duh, it's a no-brainer.

And alcohol serves a social purpose beyond getting drunk? Why not just have a soft drink then? Just not as fun is it? Fact is people drink because it feels good. "It's all about getting high," man.

"I know that smoking weed is far from harmless"
But alcohol isn't? It's the separation of the two drugs that kills me. Total social influence there... alcohol is fine, weed is wrong. It just doesn't make any sense.

"I've seen plenty of people ruin their lives with weed" - I've never heard of someone getting beat up by their stoned father. Or getting into a fight with some dude after sharing a spliff with him. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just not as much as it does with alcohol. Worse thing pot will introduce to society is apathy. Believe this fact or not, but pot does not cause as much harm as alcohol does.

If they wanted to ban everything that made you feel good and can harm you in excess, we'd be left with nothing (including sex and food). But at least it would be consitent legislation. I could live with consistency.

psylichon

Message 34/83             03-Nov-02  @  03:51 AM   -   RE: High Time

psylichon

"While I don't smoke weed, and never have..."

You know what, I'm going to stop debating with you, then. It's cool you are where you are, belief-wise, but man, at least admit you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to being high/drunk. They're NOT the same thing, and until you get high, you're always going to think it's debilitating like being drunk.

Let me just tell you, it's not. There are levels to being stoned just like stages of drunkeness. the lines are bit fuzzy maybe, but I would say the peak level of being stoned is nowhere near as debilitating as alcohol (nor is it as toxic). Not sure if you know this...

psylichon

Message 35/83             03-Nov-02  @  06:08 AM   -   RE: High Time

pict

"but I would say the peak level of being stoned is nowhere near as debilitating as alcohol"

Psylichon I don't know about that I've had some superlatively severe whiteys in my day that left me unable to move.

DefZ drinking alcohol socially or otherwise is done for the inebriating effect it's just a matter of degree.It has been proven that even one drink has an effect the most obvious effect is that impairs your balance and reaction time these effects grow more pronounced the more you consume but just because you can "hold" your drink doesn't mean that it's not affecting you.There is absolutely no doubt that alcohol is a potentially far more dangerous substance than weed there has never been a reported death from smoking cannabis it would take a hay bale sized amount to kill you and that would be impossible to consume in one go you would pass out before you could get through a pound of it,fucksake in Scotland something like 75% of all men below 25 that are in jail are in their for drink related violence and I reckon in most western jails you'll see that a high percentage of inmates jailed for violence have had alcohol providing the fuel for their violence.Alcohol destroys far more lives than weed ever has the Dutch cops have stated that hash smokers pose no significant criminal problem and are generally peacable individuals but they are constantly called out to pubs to sort out disturbances and in my own experience the main problem of weed smoking is apathy as Psylichon stated earlier.
Anyway what is wrong with getting high if it isn't affecting anybody else?If someone is smoking a joint after work to relax themselves behind closed doors what can be wrong with that?

Message 36/83             03-Nov-02  @  11:49 AM   -   RE: High Time

xoxos

it's unamerican, sir, and i'm afraid that just won't do!

(well if you say it just right it really helps people to get with you)

Message 37/83             03-Nov-02  @  12:41 PM   -   RE: High Time

bedwyr

excess sex is harmfull? fuck me ...  

Message 38/83             03-Nov-02  @  11:23 PM     Edit: 03-Nov-02  |  11:27 PM   -   RE: High Time

Mindspawn

Ahhhh, the weed debate. Well, for the record, I'm a long time pot smoker, and I've had my share of drunken outings, too. I certainly agree with pict that there are highs, good sativa bud for instance, that impair one's ability to do much of anything, including sitting upright, just as much if not more than getting drunk. At the same time, more folks seem to get hurt or hurt others when they're drunk, so I suspect it's all about moderation and common sense in ANY case. I do think that alcohol has a much higher toxicity level. It simply hurts me a lot more than even the best weed when the next day rolls around....

Most of the commercial pot these days is crap. I mean, it'll get you a buzz, maybe even a decent stone, but the effects (on one such as mesef) is minimal. Good "bora bora," or Skunk, or Maui Wowie, or Nothern Lights, or Panama Red, or some of the fine Humboldt(sp?) county stuff... whole other ballgame... again though, even on the crap stuff, I am affected to some degree or other, even if "I" dunna perceptively notice it.

Personally, I'm not for anyone under any influence, operating heavy machinery, performing surgery, driving a bus, or even doing my accounting. Ya want a job where you can get high while you work, get a job at a record store, become a muso, paint abstract murals, etc. Find a place where you can do what you want, yet you dunna fuck up anything for other folks...

And personally, I'm not interested in "legalizing" drugs, just decriminalizing. Holland seems to have a decent handle on things, along with Denmark, and even the UK seems to be coming to terms with it. I could dig running a coffee shop, and if the stuff is ever decriminalized in the US, I just may (assuming I stay in the US).

Pizza

Message 39/83             03-Nov-02  @  11:46 PM   -   RE: High Time

Zazza

So, just how do those B2 pilots fly 44 hour missions?

Message 40/83             04-Nov-02  @  01:11 AM   -   RE: High Time

Mindspawn

Well, I suspect that getting high/stoned wouldn't help them stay awake much....=)

Message 41/83             04-Nov-02  @  06:15 AM   -   RE: High Time

influx

Darin...not sure where I implied that youre a "programmed pussy" but I didnt mean to..

but...yes, I do believe that marijuana is harmless when used in moderation

period. I mean, sure..inhaling smoke aint good for you, and flooding your brain with foreign chemicals aint good either...

but again...the fact of the matter is that it is illegal when it should not be. Moral regulation is not something that falls under legal boundaries.

like I said...smoke one and get caught drivin..Im all good with there being penalties for that (altho I have to admit I have beef with the kind of hell someone is put through for DUI here in california)

Message 42/83             04-Nov-02  @  06:20 AM     Edit: 04-Nov-02  |  06:34 AM   -   RE: High Time

psylichon

just me, but....

The only time I drove un-high in the past 5 years (happened recently... dry spell in Philly), I got into a fender bender (I was actually going to get more pot). It was my fault. I'm not doing that shit again.

True story, but again, just me...

psylichon

Message 43/83             04-Nov-02  @  09:45 AM   -   RE: High Time

cheddar

Take life in moderation... ha ha ha

stop doing that cos your enjoying it too much

"I am not going to take that till I know whats in it and the country of origin."

in the personal development cycle what happens after 'that' rock and roll stage..?

hahahahahaha

glug glug glug ackk! arghh, thump...

Message 44/83             04-Nov-02  @  11:30 AM   -   RE: High Time

xoxos

you're after personal development? wrong club, mate.

Message 45/83             04-Nov-02  @  11:34 AM   -   RE: High Time

cheddar

just 1 year xoxos

Message 46/83             04-Nov-02  @  12:39 PM   -   RE: High Time

Def Z

It seems pretty strange to me that in order for me to understand that the legalize pot campaign is more than just getting high, I need to smoke up. Not a particulartly strong platform, is it.

When my wife was in grad school, she had to write a big paper about drugs. One of the arguments was what Mindspawn talked about, "decriminalization". While I'm not sure that will do any good, either, I really don't like the idea of going from one extreme (the war on drugs where it is OBVIOUSLY a disgusting failure) to the other extreme, where it's completely legalized. I'm not sure what's in the middle, but not something I'm willing to dedicate my life to figuring out.

The problems I've experienced with drugs are things I've seen with MY OWN EYES. Having gotten high (or in this case, not) does in no way invalidate my experience. It's from my OWN EXPERIENCE, that I don't want drugs legalized. One could very easily make the argument that alcohol is a "drug", and I won't debate that. In spite of all the laws, and all the efforst, it is one of the biggest industries in the world, and one that costs the most (in terms of human capital and monetary). If alcohol were to come along outside of the mainstream like drugs, then it too, would probably be illegal.

But there is a difference in that one can have a drink and not get drunk. I do it once or twice a week. I have NEVER seen anyone smoke dope without wanting to get high. Suggesting that I should drink a coke is just off the point. If I wanted a coke, I would drink it. If I want something that tastes like beer, I have a beer. There's no 'get drunk' vs. 'not get drunk'. If I want to get drunk, I have 2 beers. ;-)

Anyhow, I don't think legalization is the answer. It may make says financially, but in the grand scheme of things, do we need another drug in our society like alcohol? With all of the problems that come along with it? I don't think so.

Message 47/83             04-Nov-02  @  12:46 PM   -   RE: High Time

bedwyr

can we have another drug in our society that's like alcohol but with no hangover? please?

Message 48/83             04-Nov-02  @  01:35 PM   -   RE: High Time

Zazza

Nitrous Oxide?

Message 49/83             04-Nov-02  @  05:56 PM   -   RE: High Time

psylichon

man, it's getting hard not to roll my eyes. you're not even listening to me.

I'll repeat, it's about the RIGHT to get high, not just getting high. You're missing this point. I'm not advocating switching to the "extreme" of total legalization. I'm talking about regulated decrim here... taxes and guidelines and special stores or whatever it takes to keep people out of jail for smoking this stuff.

And I'm glad you have a handle on your alcohol consumption. I like to think I have a handle on my pot consumption, too. But socially, I'm wrong and you're right. That's not cool.

And I'm willing to bet most people don't start drinking beer for the flavor. I know I didn't.

"but in the grand scheme of things, do we need another drug in our society like alcohol?"... man, the stuff is already IN our society, and it's getting MORE and MORE prevelant. It's already a mainstream issue when it's on the cover of Time magazine. More people are smoking every year. The laws aren't stopping that, they're just making criminals of your friends and neighbors.

THAT'S WHAT'S WRONG.

psylichon

Message 50/83             04-Nov-02  @  07:33 PM   -   RE: High Time

99devils

Darin. You don't have to get high. Simply take ahistory class. America, 1930s. Prohibition. Alcohol trade, and the money behind it, fueld the most widespread criminal syndicate up to that time. They murdered innnocent people, judges, cops..

Fast forward to 2002. I can't recall Miller Brewing or Annheiser-Busch being responsible for putting hits out on judges, or being responsible for shootouts in the streets.

Anyone seen that latest anti-drug campaign ad on TV? The one with the girl who bought the dimebag, and the other girl who was paralyzed by a stray bullet? The point they try to make is that the girl buying the dimebag finances the activities that caused the other girl to be paralyzed. Well if that chick could've gone to the 7-11 and bought a bag, the other chick would be walking around today.

If you can't follow this reasoning, you're either in denial or just plain blind. Prohibition causes the criminal element to take over trade in goods the government won't allow us to have. It happened with liquor, it's happening with drugs. A + B = C.

-Craig

PS - take a poll of high school kids. Ask if it'd be easier for them to buy a dime of weed or a case of beer. You might be surprised at the response.

Message 51/83             04-Nov-02  @  09:08 PM   -   RE: High Time

influx

"Anyhow, I don't think legalization is the answer. It may make says financially, but in the grand scheme of things, do we need another drug in our society like alcohol? With all of the problems that come along with it? I don't think so."

look, Darin. drugs are here to stay, regardless of their legality. The L.A.W. does not make the SLIGHTEST dent in drug use! The fact that they are illegal has NO EFFECT whatsoever. I can score pretty much anything I want, regardless

so the legalization thing..it has only to do with the fact that the govt is legislating morality, and that is unacceptable

making things legal would NOT have caused your doper friends to be worse dopers, nor would it cause non-dopers to become!

it is frustrating to talk to you about this because you really do seem to think that "illegality" is a genuine form of deterrrnce.

Im sorry but this is not the case, except in maybe the smallest numbers!

the drugs are already there. changing the laws would not make them appear. what it would do is put some bad people out of business, and get some GOOD people out of TROUBLE!

oh..and those fucking propaganda commercials, 99D..."drug money supports bad things"

FUCKING TAX MONEY SUPPORTS BAD THINGS

Message 52/83             04-Nov-02  @  09:11 PM   -   RE: High Time

xoxos

let me put it like this: i is a big smatr boy and i no need blig bborther to protectering me.

see, that's what it is.

i can take care of myself. if you try and put your arm around me again, you're going to be wearing it.

if anyhting, criminalisaiton is a stimulus to use it hint hint.

Message 53/83             04-Nov-02  @  11:08 PM   -   RE: High Time

milan

"And I'm willing to bet most people don't start drinking beer for the flavor. I know I didn't"

well you oughta move to europe where we have decent beer, innit  

(not to mention legal weed...hehe)

(or free bicycles for use around towns even!)

Message 54/83             04-Nov-02  @  11:49 PM   -   RE: High Time

Def Z

Well, you guys raise some interesting points that I hadn't thought of. I'll have to think on those.

Message 55/83             04-Nov-02  @  11:52 PM   -   RE: High Time

psylichon

nice

Message 56/83             05-Nov-02  @  01:17 AM   -   RE: High Time

influx

you serious? or being sarcastic again? 

Message 57/83             05-Nov-02  @  01:43 AM   -   RE: High Time

damballah

sumpin I'm curious about is there's certain aspects of some music that play to the altered state that I didn't get until I heard it buzzed, and while I hardly indulge at all these days, I can still spot and utilize those sorts of things because once you've been there it's part of your perception. so how do you approach mindfuck music if you've never tapped into that state of consciousness?

Message 58/83             05-Nov-02  @  01:46 AM   -   RE: High Time

influx

or if you dont anymore?

thats what I fell in love with about electronic music in the first place..the "mindfuck" aspect (or mindmakelove maybe cuz its often quite pleasant )...

and...I think thats whats missing from my stuff...and I dont do drugs anymore...

hmmm

Message 59/83             05-Nov-02  @  02:40 AM   -   RE: High Time

psylichon

all you have to do is remember. not remember like, "man, I was really fucked up for those years" but remember what kind of person it made you, and how it really feels to have your perceptions altered. It wouldn't hurt to find and take a toke every now and then and reflect.

I wouldn't be who I am or doing the music I do if it weren't for pot and hallucinogenics. Hell, I'd still be writing newage soundtrack music (nothing wrong with that, but it's hard to get yer friends excited about your latest mix if you know what I mean).

I sure hope I don't smoke as much as I do for the rest of my life, but I'm sure if someone hands me a spliff when I'm 80, I'll be takin' it. I'm young, and I'm enjoying every experience, high or not (though usually high), and it's doing great things for me.

There are too many negative stereotypes of stoners. Like any generalization, those things are probably true to some degree, but there are MANY successful and brilliantly creative stoners out there. I mean the list for the arts alone would fill a set of encyclopedias. For some people, pot is a really wonderful stimulant, not an apathy-inducing toxicant. For others, it just doesn't work with their life or personality. People need to choose the path that fits them the best, you know?

Man, I was a dickhead before I started smoking, and now that I smoke (not trying to be an egofreak here) everyone likes me as far as I can tell. People have told me how much nicer I became when I started smoking. It always makes me laugh.

psylichon

Message 60/83             05-Nov-02  @  02:42 AM   -   RE: High Time

Def Z

Hey, I've NEVER said I'm always right. I stand where I stand based on my knowledge and experience. If I come unto new knowledge and new experience, I reasses my standpoint. I'll have to see if I can counter the points made up there.

Message 61/83             05-Nov-02  @  02:48 AM   -   RE: High Time

psylichon

please try... honestly, it's more fun that way!

psy

Message 62/83             05-Nov-02  @  04:38 AM   -   RE: High Time

GT

you'll be labeled troll soon z :P

weed will be legal in some states soon...just read about all the test cases going on, namely, in nevada. medicinal usage arguments run weak here, but right to privacy angled arguments are much more appealing to the general populace.

i chronic'd from '84 to about '87...i didn't like except for enjoying music and cartoons. btw, all of people, Snoop Dog quit, along with Dr. Dre...friends influence friends.

Message 63/83             05-Nov-02  @  08:58 AM   -   RE: High Time

cheddar

Psy - fair points I agree. Here they will bang you up for 3 years for possession, 3 years with Big Ron learning to hate society and gathering skills to inflict criminal damage. I mean after you get out what else can you do - your on the other side of the tracks.

Z - I agree that more drugs are not what we need (more drug more drugs heh heh) but about alcohol, I don't know about you but I didn't like the taste when I was young, I had to get used to it - peer pressure there. I like it now (even just the taste when I'm thirsty) but that same peer pressure can introduce smoking to more people if it is socially acceptable (not that there arn't lots of kids doing it now).

I agree that drugs expand consiouusness but I think that, more or less, they take innocence with use. I like the expanded me (stupid not to) but I started late - i wonder if those who start young may go further or think regret later.

Wifes take on this is that the art I make in the state is shakey - though those in the state like it. Split.

Message 64/83             05-Nov-02  @  09:13 AM   -   RE: High Time

psylichon

interesting point, cheddar. I started late, too (I was 19 and in college) and lot of my friends that started earlier (in high school) haven't fared as well. I think you definitely need to be mature to handle any mind-altering substance.

psylichon

Message 65/83             05-Nov-02  @  10:59 AM   -   RE: High Time

milan

nah, not really. you need a strong mind more than maturity in years. my best friends were dealing and using really hardcore in their teens (even at 15-16) and they are upstanding individuals today.

Message 66/83             05-Nov-02  @  01:16 PM   -   RE: High Time

bedwyr

what happened to you then m? ;)

Message 67/83             05-Nov-02  @  01:40 PM   -   RE: High Time

milan

*cough* i was always moderate. and i waited untill they came to their senses, and now we´re great friends. pretty cool since half of their crew from back then either died of an overdose or are living in poverty today. that include some good musicians unfortunataly. they will be forever sorely missed. amen.

m.

Message 68/83             05-Nov-02  @  08:04 PM   -   RE: High Time

xoxos

no, defector, there is no more on this.

i wasn't born to be told what to do by someone else who isn't there.

that's it, that's all, end of story, kaput, finis.

Message 69/83             05-Nov-02  @  08:08 PM   -   RE: High Time

xoxos

and the fact that this thread runs on for miles and miles before that statement is basically all the data i need to pass judgement on your species.

Message 70/83             05-Nov-02  @  08:09 PM   -   RE: High Time

psylichon

who pissed in your coffee today, x?

Message 71/83             05-Nov-02  @  09:41 PM   -   RE: High Time

Ian Bidder

Today? More like everyday

Message 72/83             05-Nov-02  @  09:44 PM   -   RE: High Time

d

it was probably Master Pee

Message 73/83             05-Nov-02  @  09:47 PM   -   RE: High Time

influx

hey feck off xoxos I said the same damn thing.

YOUR species, fella. or are you starchild? 

Message 74/83             05-Nov-02  @  11:03 PM   -   RE: High Time

milan

starchild? my surving friends have a band called starchild. what does that mean?

Message 75/83             05-Nov-02  @  11:33 PM   -   RE: High Time

influx

well...there was a mysterious skeleton found in the states not too long ago...actually looks like the homogenous "alien" look...

they were callin it starchild.

Message 76/83             06-Nov-02  @  12:00 AM   -   RE: High Time

bedwyr

"We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion year old carbon, and we got to get ourselves back to the ga-a-a-ar-den"

bloody hippy freaks ;)

Message 77/83             06-Nov-02  @  12:10 AM   -   RE: High Time

milan

ah sorry, its actually called starface. their/our skateshop was called starchild. my bad.

Message 78/83             06-Nov-02  @  12:11 AM   -   RE: High Time

pict

"you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone they paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Old Joni was bang on and still is.

Message 79/83             06-Nov-02  @  12:39 AM   -   RE: High Time

Mindspawn

I was 13 the first time I got high, I was 11 when I got drunk, I was 15 when I did my first acid trip... I don't see anything wrong with being immature when you do drugs.... Course I have tentacles, but that's not so bad... oh, and this second head thing sprouting from my back, oh, and there's the sagital crest... uh... m'kay, maybe one should wait until they're a bit older....

Message 80/83             06-Nov-02  @  10:03 AM   -   RE: High Time

cheddar

Man I - nothing. I have stuff - see below but I just can't do this working / not working black and white. When education and legislation is making minotiries (arguably majorities) susceptible it seems too easy to label and keep the lies flying. Besides the same legislsation disenfrancsises and creates gaps for people to fall through.

Again I ask where is all this increase in efficieny getting us, personally nothing (unless your an owner) and society just seems to work harder. I chat with Japan and I can call them at midnight and they answer the phone. A friend over there tells me that they judge performance by presence, a guy who does real well with results but goes at 6 will be out the door before slow Jo staying till midnight but sleeping most of the day. Now this is not right and it seems sad to label those who don't play. |Aww, It's probably me not being strong/clever enough to find a way out.

Anyway the below is here, but first...diddling the social is a fine art and the more generous the system the more difficult it is to find work which is worth signing off for

outgoings need to be met by incomings - how much do you need. Inflation, litigation, falling standards (education and healthcare standards fall but hey private is available)

Social secutiry is dying- people got to work (harder) to make sure they have enough to get them through their increased retired life expectancy

Social health care covers less of the supercures becomming available - you gotta work harder to live longer

advertising makes want (and reduces your happiness) but costs

People learn or are born less able to cope with an increasingly strict system (how many countries are reducing legislation)

The Hippoctratic oath values life not quality.

Message 81/83             06-Nov-02  @  10:19 AM   -   RE: High Time

cheddar

oops wrong fred

Message 82/83             06-Nov-02  @  10:37 AM   -   RE: High Time

influx

man you type words like At the Drive-In write lyrics!

honestly, holmes..I aint all about WORK WORK WORK be a productive citizen. you got me wrong, man!

Message 83/83             07-Nov-02  @  06:06 PM   -   RE: High Time

Zazza

It's no use protesting Influx, we can tell you are hard working protestant stoic whose had a strict moral upbringing...

Viewing all 83 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 9

There are 83 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)