aaa Influx: Digital Piano - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Influx: Digital Piano

Viewing all 23 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/23             04-Nov-02  @  09:25 PM   -   Influx: Digital Piano

espoo2

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hey influx or any other informed parties:

My girl wants a piano. We live in an apartment. So we are looking at digital pianos, something with weighted keys, pedals, and good sound. New or used, somewhere between $500 and $1400 is acceptable.

We played on at mars that she liked, a roland mdp-311 or some such, but its gone now. Any suggestions?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/23             05-Nov-02  @  01:02 PM   -   RE: Influx: Digital Piano

dARKSTATe

Link?: Link

Cheap PC w/asio-capable card, weighted controller and pedals and a copy of Steinberg's The Grand or use those Steinway Grand samples that were free on the Akai Japan site a few months ago in Halion..

The above will definately fit into your budget and offer you a load more too - okay its not quite so space efficient but it still won't eat a LOT of room..

;-)

(heh, so its a bit of overkill for just a digital piano but think what ELSE you could do.. ;-)

(purchase a copy of AAS' Lounge Lizard and you got a Rhodes/Wurli or NI's B3 and you got yerself a hammond too, at no extra space!!)

Message 3/23             05-Nov-02  @  07:34 PM   -   RE: Influx: Digital Piano

damballah

Link?:  Link

I dunno, man. If someone's a piano player and
they don't have the room/cash for the real
thing, those digital things seem a perfectly
reasonable way to go. flip it on, play it and
piano sounds come out.

Message 4/23             05-Nov-02  @  08:31 PM   -   RE: Influx: Digital Piano

xoxos

yeah but i've never met a piano person who was satisfied with their piano experience. either get something you can update (ie. s/w + controller) or buy yousef a real deal!  

Message 5/23             05-Nov-02  @  09:26 PM   -   RE: Influx: Digital Piano

influx

I think there are piano feeling controllers..but..if she is accomplished I think even 3ms latency would feel off...

honestly I dont really know much about em, man!

Message 6/23             05-Nov-02  @  09:57 PM   -   RE: Influx: Digital Piano

espoo2

Yes. She is amazing. Went to music school in germany and trained here in the U.S. by one of the best in the country.

I thought you might know something being a reseller... oh well.

Yeah, she wants something that looks nice and sounds nice.. .NO midi controllers or software... a dedicated type thing...

There's some casio deal (ich!) that actually looks very nice (polished black) and supposedly has a nice sound with weighted keys...

Message 7/23             05-Nov-02  @  11:26 PM   -   RE: Influx: Digital Piano

influx

well...Id look into kurzweil of course, but in all honesty Ive never even had ONE digital piano in my possession, so I really dont know much. Never look at em, etc...

sorry 

Message 8/23             23-Nov-02  @  03:45 AM   -   RE: Influx: Digital Piano

BJT

Make sure the keyboard has good after-touch & spend money on weighted keys.

Message 9/23             23-Nov-02  @  10:48 AM   -   RE: Influx: Digital Piano

influx

why would aftertouch matter. do pianos...respond...to aftertouch? I mean...if you press on a key after striking it does it change the timbre?

Message 10/23             23-Nov-02  @  05:08 PM   -   RE: Influx: Digital Piano

Breakerbox

yes

Message 11/23             23-Nov-02  @  07:09 PM   -   RE: Influx: Digital Piano

psylichon

um....... how exactly?

psylichon

Message 12/23             23-Nov-02  @  08:28 PM   -   RE: Influx: Digital Piano

influx

well I can see it sorta....cuz...the hammer pressure on the string would be affected, but...never even considered it!

not like I play piano

Message 13/23             23-Nov-02  @  09:43 PM   -   RE: Influx: Digital Piano

psylichon

Well the thing is, once you hit the key on a piano and throw the hammer, it falls and pressing harder on the key isn't gonna do anything to the vibration of the string.

At least that's my understanding of it.

psy

Message 14/23             24-Nov-02  @  12:30 AM   -   RE: Influx: Digital Piano

influx

so then no aftertouch

Message 15/23             24-Nov-02  @  10:47 AM   -   RE: Influx: Digital Piano

bedwyr

yes

Message 16/23             24-Nov-02  @  12:30 PM   -   RE: Influx: Digital Piano

BJT

You NEED aftertouch. It controls the felt, when you release the key the felt touches the string and the note decays. The pressure you keep on the key controls the felt -> aftertouch.

Aftertouch is also needed so you can strike the key twice without letting it decay - like in the start of "fur elise".

Also you need proper aftertouch, not just channel aftertouch because each piano key has separate felt. Problem with running this form of aftertouch is that it clogs the midi-channel.

Another thing, she will need pedals one the keyboard, most keyboards have this offering.

Regards, BJT.

Message 17/23             24-Nov-02  @  01:41 PM   -   RE: Influx: Digital Piano

BJT

Actually I think one of those digital pianos would be the go, the way the keyboard feels would be more important than the way it sounds.
A bad keyboard would mean she would develop bad habits from it and do poorly on practice exams.
I'm assuming she's seventh grade or something.

Message 18/23             24-Nov-02  @  02:55 PM   -   RE: Influx: Digital Piano

bedwyr

"Yes. She is amazing. Went to music school in germany and trained here in the U.S. by one of the best in the country"

probably done her grade 7 by now.

i don't get the aftertouch though, "when you release the key the felt touches the string and the note decays. The pressure you keep on the key controls the felt -> aftertouch"

then surely it should be a note off velocity, you'd have to learn some freaky skills to press harder/softer on the keys after you pressed them first in order to control the speed of the felt going back to the strings.

Message 19/23             24-Nov-02  @  05:34 PM   -   RE: Influx: Digital Piano

BJT

What I am saying is that if she is above grade 7 and if she is taking exams or preparing for performance, then aftertouch would be needed to perform trills and such - where you do not take your fingers off the keys yet you push the key down hard enough to retrigger the hammer.

The expression you use after you hit the key is critical to playing concert piano.

And she will need 88 keys.

Message 20/23             24-Nov-02  @  07:52 PM   -   RE: Influx: Digital Piano

psylichon

I see what you mean, but that's release velocity, BJT. That would probably be expensive to implement.

...ok apparently not. Just did a search and I guess it's not so rare nowadays. So yeah, that's cool. I want a new controller now.

The weighting of the keys is very important though. At Berklee I was too lazy to go over to the piano practice rooms so I would do my scales and etudes at home on my Roland A-33 (unweighted) controller. Needless to say by the time proficiencies came around my wrists couldn't handle the weight of the piano hammers and they turned to jelly by the end of a tune. I had wussy little girly hands   So yeah, weighting is quite important.

psy

Message 21/23             25-Nov-02  @  09:03 AM   -   RE: Influx: Digital Piano

BJT

Then make sure it has the black keys.

Message 22/23             25-Nov-02  @  09:34 AM   -   RE: Influx: Digital Piano

bedwyr

yes, apparently, they're louder than the white ones.

Message 23/23             25-Nov-02  @  10:50 AM   -   RE: Influx: Digital Piano

BJT

Count 5 per octave!

Viewing all 23 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 23 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)