aaa Darude Sandstorm Synth Lead Sound - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

02-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Darude Sandstorm Synth Lead Sound

Viewing all 16 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/16             15-Nov-02  @  04:20 PM   -   Darude Sandstorm Synth Lead Sound

odin

Link?:  No link

File?:  File

sand.mp3

Hi,
Could anyone hazard a guess as to what synth Darude is using in the lead synth line for "Sandstorm"? I'm not sure. I've enclosed an mp3 clip. Multiple detuned saw waves with an overlay of distortion?

Disclaimer: Keep in mind that I am not attempting to emulate Darude in any way or attempting to replicate his sounds; I am a big believer in creating your "own" sound. I just think it's interesting to try and figure out what other artists are doing.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/16             15-Nov-02  @  04:56 PM   -   RE: Darude Sandstorm Synth Lead Sound

k

File?:  No file

that's his synth list (current)

Korg Triton Pro Workstation,
Korg Triton Rack,
Korg TR-Rack,
Korg MS2000R,
Access Virus C,
Roland JP8080,
Roland HandSonic,
Yamaha RM1x,
Absynth,
FM7,
Model-E,
PPG Wave 2.V,
Pro-53,
ES1&2,
HALion,
EXS24,
Lot of free plugs

Message 3/16             16-Nov-02  @  11:13 PM   -   RE: Darude Sandstorm Synth Lead Sound

preset spotter

I heard it was a preset on the JP8080, called(surprisingly enough) 'Sandstorm'.

Message 4/16             17-Nov-02  @  10:47 AM   -   RE: Darude Sandstorm Synth Lead Sound

k

Link?:  Link

File?:  File

human_league_darude_sound_56k.mp3

it's very similar I think in it's core components to this sound used alot by the human league.

the darude sound is more grungy tho, but very similar.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/16             18-Nov-02  @  02:37 AM   -   RE: Darude Sandstorm Synth Lead Sound

odin

k,
I can see the resemblance. The Darude sound is harsher, and has a bit more bite. "preset spotter", as for the JP-8080 preset "Sandstorm", that's not it. I have the JP-8080 and the "Sandstorm" preset is a pad.
Interestingly, Darude also uses this sound (or a very similar one) in "I Can Feel the Beat". It's a nice sound (to my ears), although a bit harsh. It does seem to cut through a mix, in the same way that a hoover does.

Message 6/16             18-Nov-02  @  05:09 AM   -   RE: Darude Sandstorm Synth Lead Sound

brett

human league is that bright oberheim sound.

That is damn fine kit list.

Message 7/16             18-Nov-02  @  11:23 AM   -   RE: Darude Sandstorm Synth Lead Sound

xoxos

Link?: Link

what exactly is your interest if you're so all not interested? hell, i'd be happy if i could get my suynths to stop sounding like that.

Message 8/16             19-Nov-02  @  02:30 PM   -   RE: Darude Sandstorm Synth Lead Sound

BJT

Actually I thought it was yammy gear, but yeah I heard it was a preset also.

Message 9/16             19-Nov-02  @  07:17 PM   -   RE: Darude Sandstorm Synth Lead Sound

xoxos

i haven't lsitened to it since it was posted, so i might be off, but i thought it sounded like a tri wave being modded (phase or freq or ??) by a detuned pulse, or something like that.. it just pretty much seems like two simple waveforms (which of course oculd be composites or whatever) i've been making sounds like that for the last two weeks with a synthedit synth.

i just want to know why it's such a big deal. i always just want to know why it's a big deal.. if ya spent more time playing with synths instead of posting mp3s on the net ya know?

Message 10/16             19-Nov-02  @  08:07 PM   -   RE: Darude Sandstorm Synth Lead Sound

psylichon

well x, if everyone only did music strictly, there's be no posts, no reviews, nothing. No DT. That's why.

psy

Message 11/16             20-Nov-02  @  11:31 AM   -   RE: Darude Sandstorm Synth Lead Sound

xoxos

well you told me, didn't you.

that's a load of bullshit. dude - get this thru your philly located head, okay? and stop trying to correct the x, because you can't. i'll sort you out. i'm right, abvout everything, cloud 9 told you and that's it.

dancetech is a music technology forum. people can come here to ask questions and get answers to shit that they DON'T know about, you don't ask questions to find out about shit that you DO know about. that's why they're questions, p.

Message 12/16             20-Nov-02  @  12:50 PM   -   RE: Darude Sandstorm Synth Lead Sound

Deano

Well I don't see a Cheetah MS20 in his kit list but that was the only sound I could ever get out of mine. Oscillator sync.

Message 13/16             20-Nov-02  @  01:06 PM   -   RE: Darude Sandstorm Synth Lead Sound

Steve Webster

I heard it was a rubber band and an old comb wrapped in tracing paper.

Message 14/16             20-Nov-02  @  05:54 PM   -   RE: Darude Sandstorm Synth Lead Sound

psylichon

"philly located head"

hahaha, i wish.

psy

Message 15/16             20-Nov-02  @  09:45 PM   -   RE: Darude Sandstorm Synth Lead Sound

odin

Ah, Steve,
So that's what they mean by a "comb filter".

xoxos, it seems you missed the point of the question- it was, "How did Darude make that sound?", and not "How can xoxos make similar sounds- can he do it with multicolored Synthedit synths?".

Well, thanks, everyone, for all your input...

Message 16/16             21-Nov-02  @  11:37 AM   -   RE: Darude Sandstorm Synth Lead Sound

xoxos

ah, well that was a bit daft of me then wasn't it. what i want to know is (1) how he got that ordinary hot dog so far up his ass and (2) why doesn't he use celery? and (3) how you're going to get it out intact wearing nothing but a silk blindfold and some sauce.

Viewing all 16 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)