aaa access monster - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

02-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: access monster

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/15             24-Nov-02  @  01:38 AM   -   access monster

brett

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

This one is keeper. I have owned so many synths, and this one can do almost all of them and then some. The virus is an absolute monster.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/15             27-Nov-02  @  10:25 AM   -   RE: access monster

Steve Webster

My es2 beats your virus :-)

Message 3/15             01-Dec-02  @  06:08 AM   -   RE: access monster

brett

es2?

Message 4/15             01-Dec-02  @  01:52 PM   -   RE: access monster

Steve Roughley

Funny, though. When I had a good play about with the ES2, it seems to be closely modelled on the Virus.

Steve.

Message 5/15             01-Dec-02  @  02:00 PM   -   RE: access monster

Maarten

Link?: Link

Uhh, what's an ES2?

Message 6/15             01-Dec-02  @  02:24 PM     Edit: 01-Dec-02  |  02:26 PM   -   RE: access monster

Steve Roughley

The Emagic Soft synth. Quite good actually.

Emagic ES2

Steve.

Message 7/15             02-Dec-02  @  12:20 AM   -   RE: access monster

brett

soft synths are great, but i am done with them for leads. if a track needs a certain little somthing, i may call up a plugin, but i am tracking through an empirical labs fatso from here on out. it just gets complicated trying to run all your softsynths through external processors etc. i want all the cpu working on audio playback and eq's at higher sample rates. the instruments just get in the way and mess up latency. you can always render. but i prefer to write the track out then go and make subtle changes to controlers and modulations. redering prevents you from being able to just make the midi change. i'll take a rack of gear over a rack of plugs. i have had and done both. and now i am buying all new hardware. glad to hear you are happy with your power synth too.

Message 8/15             02-Dec-02  @  09:47 AM   -   RE: access monster

Steve Webster

But midi cables = timing delays. To me, Soft synths just sound so much more percussive and are sample accurate. Plus everything sounds so cohesive. There is no need to master tune.

Message 9/15             02-Dec-02  @  06:19 PM   -   RE: access monster

errata

"But midi cables = timing delays."

Maybe if you're chaining 6 or 7 pieces of gear! That's barely an argument, yo...

e

Message 10/15             02-Dec-02  @  06:38 PM     Edit: 02-Dec-02  |  08:52 PM   -   RE: access monster

Steve Roughley

"Soft synths just sound so much more percussive and are sample accurate"

Oh, come on! The ES2 is a very good synth indeed, but the Virus is capable of just about anything that the ES2 can + more (alot more!). The Virus might need more taming (using the OscPhaseInit function + EQ) to create that 'thin' sound that the ES2 produces naturally, but it can still produce percussive sounds easily. You just have to learn. The Virus needs taming, yes, but this is one of the reasons it is so damned good. It is better to have to tame than boost, which the ES2 requires all too often.

As for MIDI timing, yes this is a bastard of a problem, but it is so easily fixable. Whenever I record anything from outboard gear, I allways chop the audio file into it's individual hits and resequence to Logics grid. It's a pain, but it has become part of my production techniuqe, so it isn't a major hassle.

What do you mean by sounding sample accurate???

Regards.

Steve.

Message 11/15             03-Dec-02  @  02:56 PM   -   RE: access monster

Steve Webster

Sample Accurate = the response of the es2 to the note messaages of a midi sequence is faster than of a MIDI sound generator connected via a MIDI cable. This ensures that your sample/sound playback is rock solid.

I had a Virus but I found once I got past a bass, some stabs and a couple of pads, I just ran out of headroom. Especially on bass. Yea, I suppose that with a really top, pro understanding of the Virus, I could use it succesfully. I understand that. Its just that with using the es2 and es1, esp, etc, I find that the sounds are 85% right to start with. Plus I can stack loads of sounds without having no headroom left.

I am happy that you are pleased with the Virus. It sounds GRAET. I just found it hard work with regards to headroom. Plus cos I was using the exs 24 for drums, my virus's bass and other music parts were just not sitting on top of my drums tight enough. Since selling the virus and using exclusively soft synths, my tracks sound so much more like the records I hear. I'm not there yet but am totally pleased with my decision rto go totally soft synth.

DISCLAIMER: I agree that the es2 is not the best for bass. Thats why I use the esm (split into hi and lo bass) and the es1. Its cool. You can get a really thick, middley sound from it.

Message 12/15             03-Dec-02  @  06:28 PM   -   RE: access monster

99devils

Headroom? That's what seperate outs and multitrack recording are for!

I can't honestly say I've ever had your problem, and I've had a Virus for ever now.

-Craig

Message 13/15             03-Dec-02  @  07:42 PM   -   RE: access monster

Steve Webster

What has outputs got to do with it? You only get 6 and besides, I'm talking about overall headroom issues not individual channels on the desk. Plus, once you record your virus into audio, your stuck with it. It isn't that easy to change the velocity of that last bass note (once its a WAV) before the breakdown is it?!

Message 14/15             03-Dec-02  @  08:06 PM   -   RE: access monster

errata

That's why you keep it as a MIDI file until you're readfy to bump the track to stereo!

You know you guys, you're really just arguing the age old HW vs SW issue here. Some folks like the flexibility of SW, others like the playability of HW... it's a style thing. Can't be quantified.

e

Message 15/15             04-Dec-02  @  02:51 PM   -   RE: access monster

99devils

I'm still not quite sure what you mean when you say it doesn't have enough headroom..

-Craig

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)