aaa Yamaha_01V versus Event EZ_Buss - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Yamaha_01V versus Event EZ_Buss

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             11-Dec-02  @  06:31 PM   -   Yamaha_01V versus Event EZ_Buss

djskope

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Clash of the Titans!!! I am about to boldly go and sell off all my analog kit to go digital. The idea is multiple Cubase SX System Linked PCs with extensive use of VSTi's via SP/DIF. The digital audio output will then go via a (Gina 24?) ADAT card along to the mixing device...

The question is, which is best for full remote control of these VSTi's *and* taking the 8 channel ADAT audio output for hands-on EQ and tactile fine tuning. (btw, do the 8 ADAT channels come up for control on 8 separate faders for this kind of control?)

Given that both can be got for around £650 squid (the O1v will be 2nd hand) what do you reckon?

The Ez-Bus might have the edge in flexibility (being able to map almost anything to anything) but only has 8 faders (not motorized).

Sorry about the newbie type questions; This is probably the most important decision I'll make this year, so please help... (sad but true!)

Cheers,

djskope

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             11-Dec-02  @  07:10 PM   -   RE: Yamaha_01V versus Event EZ_Buss

milan

hmm... i was inquiering about EZBus myself few moths ago. the thing is, its almost impossible to find anyone who actually own one, so its very hard to get any user comments on reliability. what i can tell you is that even the guys in my local audio store were advising me against a usb device for use with more than a few audio channels. so, maybe you´re better off looking somewhere else.

on the other hand, if you do get one, PLEASE come back and tell us how it went! i´d be very greatfull to finaly find out if ezbus is any good.

Message 3/8             11-Dec-02  @  08:49 PM   -   RE: Yamaha_01V versus Event EZ_Buss

influx

Link?:  Link

if its down to those two I would seriously look at the O1v...more channels, more options, a better mixer all around.

and its sposed to work pretty damn well as a midi controller altho Ive not used it for that.

as for the adat question...in the O1v they will be 8 separate channels, coming in on the "option" slot, so tracks 17-24, but no dynamics and limited EQ...

BUT you can re-assign them to channels 1-8 to take advantage of the EQ and dynamics

Message 4/8             11-Dec-02  @  09:02 PM   -   RE: Yamaha_01V versus Event EZ_Buss

99devils

You can get dynamics and EQ on the ADAT channels - you "swap" them with 9-16. You can only have EQ and dynamics on 16 of 24 tracks, and you can only configure that in banks of 8.

Make sense?

The 01V is great as a "swiss-army knife", like you want to use it.. A combination control surface, mic premap, and converter box.

-Craig

Message 5/8             11-Dec-02  @  11:23 PM   -   RE: Yamaha_01V versus Event EZ_Buss

influx

oh I forgot about the swap thing

Message 6/8             12-Dec-02  @  05:50 PM   -   RE: Yamaha_01V versus Event EZ_Buss

!NOSPAMwayne

Link?:  No link

people, thanks for your help so far... clearing up the ADAT issue esp.

can anyone give me the real deal about the O1v when used as a control surface with Cubase SX? Are there things like templates for FM7, Junglist, Absynth etc?

In theory, this plan with SX system link connecting multiple p.c.s running VSTi's should rock. Anybody know about what happens in practice?

sorry for being a lamer..

:¬)

djskope

Message 7/8             13-Dec-02  @  12:11 AM   -   RE: Yamaha_01V versus Event EZ_Buss

influx

ya otta take a look at the cubase forums regarding SX and the O1v.

www.cubase.net

Message 8/8             13-Dec-02  @  09:46 AM   -   RE: Yamaha_01V versus Event EZ_Buss

Kungfu Monkey

Link?:  No link

Just my thoughts, I have recently gone thru something similar to what you are trying to do now.

As to what to buy, the EZ bus or 01v. do you actually need either? If you are going to be recording vocals, live insruments then yes (and i'd definitely go for the 01v)

if you are doing more dance stuff (like me) then maybe you don't need anything other than a control surface and some good plug ins (waves) for eg)

In fact you dont really NEED the control surface, a mouse will do the job, I get on fine with it using cubase SX. depends on your budget. I'd probably be more inclined to spend more money on getting the fastest dual screen set up possible for my money. but that's my preference  

I currently have a P4 2.4Ghz with 1 GB of RAMBUS RAM and I can run shed loads of vsti's and effects, in fact I hardly ever bounce down to audio unless I want to do some heavy processing on it. And I still haven't connected up by system link with my old machine, simply because I have enough power to do whatever with the 1 machine.

I would also recommend an RME card over the Gina, again my personal preference.

hope this helps.

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)