aaa Nova vs K-Station - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Nova vs K-Station

Viewing all 26 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/26             13-Dec-02  @  01:27 AM   -   Nova vs K-Station

Broken Silence

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hey peps:

I'm buying a synth reeaal soon and it's probably goin to be novation nova vs k-station. I know the first thing out of your mouth is try both and see which works for you. I unfortunatley can't try em =( So im relying on ya'll!

Again, i'm trying to make some kewl trance lines to add to my tracks.

Not taking the price difference in hand, what can the nova offer that is so much better than the k?

Thanks =)

Andrew

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/26             13-Dec-02  @  01:29 PM   -   RE: Nova vs K-Station

milan

Link?: Link

nova is multitimbral, and i think k-station is not. hence youŽd have more parts to play with from the nova.

Message 3/26             13-Dec-02  @  01:59 PM   -   RE: Nova vs K-Station

Broken Silence

Ahhh okay...now that you mention it, i see what you mean :P

Anything else with em?

Message 4/26             13-Dec-02  @  07:31 PM   -   RE: Nova vs K-Station

proximus

The biggest difference is that the K-station is monotimbral and has FM. The Nova has 6 parts and more polyphony but lacks the fm. That's the only differences I know about.. Personally I would go for the Nova

Message 5/26             13-Dec-02  @  08:20 PM   -   RE: Nova vs K-Station

errata

'dems the differences! The FM is nice but it's an effect for the oscillator... not even TRUELLY modeling FM, (kinda like the waldorf uq)... it's nice but it's not very editable.

more parts more voices in the nova... expanded editability... GET THE NOVA. It's brilliant and not too much more for the power.

e

Message 6/26             14-Dec-02  @  05:30 AM   -   RE: Nova vs K-Station

Rikard

K has nicer filters also.

Message 7/26             14-Dec-02  @  05:38 AM   -   RE: Nova vs K-Station

psylichon

nicer filters? I'd bet my firstborn they're the same. ASM synth engine in both, no?

psy

Message 8/26             14-Dec-02  @  02:38 PM   -   RE: Nova vs K-Station

Broken Silence

Are those differences really big? I've never touched hardware so... ;P

I just love the layout of the K!!

Message 9/26             14-Dec-02  @  09:49 PM   -   RE: Nova vs K-Station

j-type

Link?:  Link

they don't sound the same to me, K-station sounds fuller and richer from the off. Better UI (a proper source mixer!) but less features, I'd still take the K over the Nova any day, regardless of parts/voices.

Message 10/26             14-Dec-02  @  11:20 PM   -   RE: Nova vs K-Station

Broken Silence

One semi-major issue:

With the K station, could i pop in the power cord and throw on some headphones and go (for saving my own sounds)? Or would i need any more junk? Since I travel alot, that would be great.

Thanks,

Andrew

Message 11/26             16-Dec-02  @  02:06 AM   -   RE: Nova vs K-Station

broken silence

Where in the hell can i buy used gear besides ebay? I am so lost

Message 12/26             17-Dec-02  @  12:50 AM   -   RE: Nova vs K-Station

spinback

have an a-station and a nova (got the a-station for pennys from a friend) and reckon the nova beats it with the new O/S + filters. nova is far easier to work'n'tweak/less cluttered/ larger display.

why the hang doesn't the a-station have an on/off switch tho?!

they sound great beside each other mind you  

Message 13/26             17-Dec-02  @  02:17 AM   -   RE: Nova vs K-Station

Broken Silence

Okay! Then it's the nova. Now where can i get one used?

Message 14/26             17-Dec-02  @  03:59 AM   -   RE: Nova vs K-Station

psylichon

sure as hell not from any of us!   Heheh, i'll NEVER sell my blue beastie. It will always be useful for something.

psy

Message 15/26             17-Dec-02  @  06:37 PM   -   RE: Nova vs K-Station

nickb

Dear All,

Don't forget that we've just released the KS synthesiser. This is available in a 4 octave, a 5 octave and a 5u rack. It is 4 part multitimbral 16 voice polyphonic with 32 waveforms inc drum cycles, 32 LFO shapes, 32 arp patterns + 6 arp modes which include a chord mode. It also has a multimode filter offering low, band and high pass types at 12 and 24 dB per octave slopes. It is certainly worth looking at.

Best regards,

Nick.

Message 16/26             17-Dec-02  @  09:26 PM   -   RE: Nova vs K-Station

Broken Silence

Yeah that thing sure looks good, i've seen pics of it. Never seen the rack though, gotta check that out!

Well then do any of yas know where to get it used online or something like ebay...?

Message 17/26             17-Dec-02  @  09:31 PM   -   RE: Nova vs K-Station

errata

Hey Nick,

Perhaps you can say... Does the hyper sync function apply to envelopes? I've not seen a synth that has tempo syncable anvelopes since e-mu's audity2000. My partner in sound has a nova, but it's NEW features like this that would possess me to get the new one.

e

Message 18/26             18-Dec-02  @  12:16 PM   -   RE: Nova vs K-Station

nickb

Hi,

the hypersync has 8 syncable parameters - delay time, chorus LFO rate, eq LFO rate, pan LFO rate, voice LFO 1 rate, Voice LFO 1 delay, voice LFO 2 rate and Voice LFO 2 delay. It also contains parameters for levels of the delay & chorus and for eq and pan mod depth.

The hypersync does not have parameters for syncing the envelopes but, the voice LFOs have a one shot mode which effectively turns these into envelopes. As the LFOs can be tempo synced and stored as hypersyncs, you can generate tempo synced envelope effects.

The LFOs can be assigned to modulate the oscillator levels, the filter frequency or the oscillator pitch. There are 32 LFO waveshapes which include chromatic, maj mode, maj 7th, min 7th, quantised sample and hold, cross fade and 8 rhythmic patterns amoungst other weird and wonderfull shapes & along with the standard LFO waveshapes.

The LFO waveshapes really come into their own when syncronised and used in an arpeggio. There are 32 arpeggio patterns within the KS as well as the standard "up / down / up & down / random / played" modes.

Best regards,

Nick.

Message 19/26             18-Dec-02  @  11:29 PM   -   RE: Nova vs K-Station

spinback

Nick,

Seriously, why isn't there an on/off switch on the a-station?

SpinbacK

Message 20/26             19-Dec-02  @  10:05 AM   -   RE: Nova vs K-Station

Bastiaan

I'm still wondering that if, apart from some minor features and the FM, the Nova can do anything the A-station can why those lovely demo-patches for the a/k-station have not been converted and released for the (super)nova(ii) series...

The demo-sounds of the K and A station sound very, very nice indeed. I'd love to get my paws on those.

The VA engine in de NOVA has quite a few more parameters than the VA engine in the A/Kstations...

Message 21/26             23-Dec-02  @  06:32 PM   -   RE: Nova vs K-Station

Bastiaan

Well, nick?

Message 22/26             28-Dec-02  @  09:41 PM   -   RE: Nova vs K-Station

Bastiaan

Link?:  Link

Or phil..

Message 23/26             03-Jan-03  @  04:48 PM   -   RE: Nova vs K-Station

nickb

Hi all,

Happy New Year.

Firstly, the A-Station does not have a power switch, just like the Bass Station rack, the Super Bass Station Rack and the D-Station. The front panel of these 1u high synthesisers are crammed full of controls. The only viable place to put a power switch would be on the back of the unit or to reduce the available controls. Neither of which is a good option - the controls are essential, a power switch is not!

As for the compatibility between the A / K-Station sounds and the Nova / Supernova II sounds, this is not really possible. The A & K-Station sounds use triangle waveforms and doubled sine and triangle waves which the Nova and Supernova II cannot generate. The KS takes this to another level by adding other waveforms which cannot be implimented on the other instruments.
The filter algorithm for the A-Station, K-Station and KS syntheisers are different to those used in the Nova and Supernova II series and therefore have a different sound to them This is a large part of the sound of the A-Station, K-Station & KS synthesisers. Added to this is the difference in the tonal quality of the filter overdrive algorithm etc etc etc.

It just comes down to the fact that the A-Station, K-Station and KS4,5 & rack work in a different way to the Nova / Supernova / Nova II and Supernova II which makes porting patches between these instruments difficult.

Cheers,

Nick.

Message 24/26             03-Jan-03  @  05:20 PM   -   RE: Nova vs K-Station

psylichon

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought ASM was ASM. Perhaps you should call it ASM2 or something creative like that. Then you could be like Yamaha!

psy

Message 25/26             03-Jan-03  @  06:34 PM   -   RE: Nova vs K-Station

errata

Novation ST700 = One of the Fastest new racing bikes on the circuit!

e

Message 26/26             03-Jan-03  @  08:22 PM   -   RE: Nova vs K-Station

Bastiaan

Thanks! Finally this question is out of my system. Nick, while you're at it could you ask Linda vandenBurghen/Noreen where I can order a bunch of spare keys (for ones I destroyed) for my Bass sation Kb.

cheers,

Bastiaan

Viewing all 26 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 26 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)