aaa Analog Synths - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Analog Synths

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/15             18-Dec-02  @  02:09 AM   -   Analog Synths

Def Z

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Okay, anyone following the "Hardware Compressors" topic in the "Mixing & FX" forum knows I'm considering an analog synth. I'm seriously considering the Microcon II, and I'm ready to make a call, and Pongoid jumps in with a recommendation for the Dave Smith Evolver (http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/), which looks pretty cool. Read a couple of reviews and it looks pretty powerful. Problem is it doesn't look like a particularly user friendly synth. Jumping through menus is kind of a pain in the ass, and one of the reasons why I am considering analog. And this Dave Smith deal is not ENTIRELY analog (read the design portion at the website and you'll see what I mean).

Has anyone used either one of the synths, and what are your thoughts on them? Is the interface of the Evolver as difficult as it looks?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/15             18-Dec-02  @  08:32 AM   -   RE: Analog Synths

Maarten

Link?: Link

Sorry, can say nothing about the Evolver except that I also have listened to the samples on that site - and am impressed... But about your future purchase, is it a mono synth your after and what's the budget on you? For hands-on control and fierce analogue you might want to consider a Yamaha CS10 or CS15...

Message 3/15             18-Dec-02  @  08:34 AM   -   RE: Analog Synths

Maarten

... or sequential circuits.

Message 4/15             18-Dec-02  @  10:19 PM   -   RE: Analog Synths

proximus

How about building one your self?

I was thinking of those Paia kits

http://www.paia.com/

Message 5/15             18-Dec-02  @  10:25 PM   -   RE: Analog Synths

Def Z

Budget is under $500, and the more I think about it, the less I like the idea of buying an older synth. Just too many things to try to fix. I'm not a solderer, so I think I should stay away from making my own, and trying to maintain an old one. I got one of those Drum Brains from PIAA, and as usual, everything I touch turns to crappola.

Unfortunately, I don't ahve a soundcard working on my internet computer, so I can't really listen to any of the demos. The Evolver looks pretty cool, but I like the simplicity of the Microcon. Any other strange mono-synth suggestions are welcome. I have a pretty solid studio setup (with a Waldorf XT, Kurz k2000, and Darkstar - plus a powerful computer and sampler) so a monophonic synth would be a fine addition for me. To be honest, that's what I'm after. Something gnarly and growly and raw. Like an analog. :-) Or a big poo as Dr. Doctor suggested in another thread.

Message 6/15             19-Dec-02  @  02:17 PM   -   RE: Analog Synths

SCORPION

Check this out

http://mfberlin.de/Produkte/Musikelektronik/MFB-SYNTH/MFB_SYNTH/mfb_synth.html

Type this in to see a really cool synth for a low price. Real analog.

The MFB synth is basically a Minimoog with a built in sequencer for about $400+ USD I think. 3vco's the 3rd vco can be used as an LFO. classic minimoog ladder 24 db LP cuttoff filter.

They also have a little brother called MFB synth lite. A 2vco with ringmod implementation and osc sync for less money but no sequencer like the MFB synth. Basically a little Moog prodigy like synth.

Go to the site and also hear MP3 demo's or these synths.

Message 7/15             19-Dec-02  @  02:22 PM   -   RE: Analog Synths

SCORPION

I found that www.novamusik.com is selling the mfb synths there. As expected the MFB synth is $400+ being $419 to be exact. And the MFB synth lite is $299. I hope this helps you?

Message 8/15             19-Dec-02  @  05:10 PM   -   RE: Analog Synths

swanofnever

"Something gnarly and growly and raw"

hm... sidstation? you can ebay one for ~$400...

Message 9/15             20-Dec-02  @  12:07 AM   -   RE: Analog Synths

Def Z

I looked at the syncussion, and was turned off by it. Not sure why. I noticed Novamusik has a "new" Pulse going for $399. The more I think about it, the more I like the Evolver. Looks like a completely unique synthesizer.

Message 10/15             20-Dec-02  @  03:00 AM   -   RE: Analog Synths

Def Z

Well, I just ordered the Evolver. I'll let you know what I think when I get it. Thanks for all the help - I looked at everything mentioned (the analogs from the other thread, as well as the Sidstation, the MFB synths, the Microcon II, and others) and decided this was the best for what I need. I'll post my impressions when it arrives. Looking forward to it. hehehehehehe! Toys.

Message 11/15             20-Dec-02  @  08:30 AM   -   RE: Analog Synths

Maarten

If you're talking Pearl Syncussion- rare MEAN! drum machine... but you really have to be into "mean" for that one I guess- hard, long decay kicks that really don't need any further compression imo

Message 12/15             20-Dec-02  @  01:00 PM   -   RE: Analog Synths

90's Child

I would recommed you buy a soft synt........sorry, sorry!

Message 13/15             22-Dec-02  @  07:10 PM   -   RE: Analog Synths

Bastiaan

Has 90's kid been kicked off the forum yet? Let us know how you like that evolver Defector Zee!

Message 14/15             23-Dec-02  @  03:55 PM   -   RE: Analog Synths

Def Z

I most certainly will. Don't hold your breath, though. UPS says it will be here around Jan 3rd. GodDAMN I hate Christmas time. Screws everything up.

Message 15/15             25-Dec-02  @  02:45 AM   -   RE: Analog Synths

djjessex

Ill recomend the vermona synths.

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)