aaa darkstar sysex send and receive - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: darkstar sysex send and receive

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             24-Dec-02  @  05:56 AM   -   darkstar sysex send and receive

brentym

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

can someone please explain to me how to recieve and send sysex dumps to/from the darkstar?
i have the manual but it doesn't explain it very well and i can't seem to get it to work.
thanks

p.s. i am using sonar

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             25-Dec-02  @  06:59 AM     Edit: 25-Dec-02  |  07:00 AM   -   RE: darkstar sysex send and receive

brentym

does anyone even own one of these? ;)

Message 3/10             25-Dec-02  @  10:02 AM   -   RE: darkstar sysex send and receive

swanofnever

Link?:  No link

yeah but.. every time i try to use it, i spend 2 hours getting a headache, then turn on the virus for 10min and actually accomplish something.

nice sounds, but the interface (modal knobs and crap display) makes it so hard for me to get anything done... rgh!

but... erm... sorry. can't help.

Message 4/10             25-Dec-02  @  02:14 PM   -   RE: darkstar sysex send and receive

Def Z

Yeah, I have one. I don't use the sysex on it, so I have no idea. My experience is a little different from Swanofnever's...I LOVE mine. LOVE the interface. A little tricky at times, but it's still good.

Message 5/10             25-Dec-02  @  02:40 PM   -   RE: darkstar sysex send and receive

psylichon

well, if you're following the manual's instructions and still get nothing, you're probably trying to record sysex to a MIDI track in Sonar. For some reason I've never been able to get this to work (I'd LOVE to learn how, though). Are you using the sysex manager in Sonar? You should be.

psy

Message 6/10             26-Dec-02  @  02:47 AM   -   RE: darkstar sysex send and receive

brentym

thanks. i am using the sysex manager in sonar. there is a bank(?) in midi format i downloaded from the yahoo group that i have been trying to get into the darkstar.

i haven't tried dumping from the darkstar to sonar. i'm just trying to familiarize myself with all of its functions.

haven't made up my mind about the darkstar yet.
i like some of the sounds i have been getting so far, but not sure how i feel about the interface.
some things i know for sure that bother me are the part/program/bank setup and the small led display.

i've been thinking about getting a virus, but for what i paid for the darkstar, i couldn't resist trying it out for a while.

anyone else want to share their feelings about this piece?

Message 7/10             27-Dec-02  @  07:58 PM   -   RE: darkstar sysex send and receive

swanofnever

it was DEFINITELY worth it for the $$, and it sounds a lot different than the virus... BUT..

i think it's just me -- my brain has this defect where it just can't remember modes. like.. even on the virus, there are toggles for which filter is being controlled by the res/env/keytrack/etc. knobs... always that up too.

the darkstar's 10x worse cause EVERY knob has 2 uses. so.. stupid me.. i can never remember to consult the appropriate led before grabbing the knob. sigh...

plus, i want that *&^*!^#%^ monosynth rom to be released!!

raigan

Message 8/10             28-Dec-02  @  04:39 AM   -   RE: darkstar sysex send and receive

brentym

i dont think they will be releasing the monosynth rom for the first darkstar now that version 2 is out.

also its not just you about forgetting what mode you're in before making an adjustment.

i do like the darkstar, but part of me wants to sell it, some electribes (ea1 & er1, i will probably hold on to the es1), and some other stuff and get a supernova or virus.

the lack of effects on the darkstar wouldn't bother me if it had more outs. and i'm sure eventually i will get used to the interface, but i think i would have an easier time with a virus or nova.

also there is a much larger user network for the other synths as well. i like that sort of thing as i am kind of new to programming and it helps to be able to hook up with people that know the machines inside and out. thats one of the things i love about the micromodular.

sorry abut the rant. anybody got any ideas about the sysex though?

Message 9/10             28-Dec-02  @  06:22 PM   -   RE: darkstar sysex send and receive

Def Z

My thoughts,

All things considered, this is one of the better synths out there. Where else can you get a new 5 poly/8 voice synth for $199 (US)? You can't. Plus, it has a joystick. The only other thing quite that unique in a synth is the D-Beam.

It is not without its shortcomings, sure. But you can't compare it to a Nova. That's like saying I'll race my stock Neon against your stock Corvette. Just not fair. The Darkstar is noisy, there isn't an easy way to save your patches, the interface is...unique. But you have to admit that for 200 bucks, there isn't anything out there that competes.

Personally, I think the interface is a strength. It takes some getting used to, thats for sure, and it's easy to make mistakes with it, but once you get comfortable with it, you can navigate without TOO much trouble. Put it this way, the Darkstar is easier to program than my Kurweil k2000. If you were to add a dedicated knob box, it would get even easier.

Keep in mind that there's alot in that little box. The joystick is truly cool, too. :-)

All things considered, I think this is a unique instrument. I can be VERY nasty.

Message 10/10             31-Dec-02  @  06:42 PM   -   RE: darkstar sysex send and receive

Yonce N Mild

the new version of the darkstar is selling at novamusik.com for 289$. the new version has a rotary knob for selecting patches a dedicated volume knob a headphone jack and 4 assignable 1/4 inch outs and i belive that the inputs are also 1/4 inch....nice little improvements and still a great deal....I have the first version and i love it...a little wierd yes...but like defz says it can be very nasty... I am tempted to buy the new version

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)