aaa The advantage of RAM upgrading... - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: The advantage of RAM upgrading...

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6             24-Dec-02  @  11:53 PM   -   The advantage of RAM upgrading...

Jesper Hemdarve

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Merry christmas, Santa gave me a fresh 512 mb of RAM for being a good boy. Before installation I made a testfile (in Logic 5) to see if there would be a big difference with 640 mb RAM instead of 128. The result was surprising, I hardly noticed any difference in performance at all! I think I know why tho...
In my test file, I used ONLY soft synths and various Plugins, instead of pure audio tracks. Not until later it dawned on me that S/W synths and FX is very stressful on the CPU, while audio tracks are more dependant on the amount of RAM. Is my theory correct that I would have seen a bigger difference in performance if my testfile would have used a bunch of audio tracks instead of just S/W synths and FX plugins?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/6             25-Dec-02  @  12:11 AM   -   RE: The advantage of RAM upgrading...

psylichon

well, certain synths and plugins will be RAM-dependant (mainly samplers and delays), but most likely you're just not going to see that much a performance improvement past 128 MB. That is, until you have a lot of programs running simultaneously. But it's the leap from 64 to 128 that seems to be the most noticable for most people.

psy

Message 3/6             25-Dec-02  @  11:35 AM   -   RE: The advantage of RAM upgrading...

Jesper Hemdarve

Well, I did use a Few EXS24s in my testfile but only with their default sine wave loaded, not a very RAM heavy sample  

So Psy, you mean that no matter how many audio tracks I run, I still won't see a great difference in power between 128 & 640 RAM?
If so, the question arises: where is the bottleneck? Is it Logic or my Windows platform that does not make good use of the RAM available?

Message 4/6             26-Dec-02  @  01:59 PM   -   RE: The advantage of RAM upgrading...

99devils

It's probably that your programs have all the RAM they need to run smoothly. Your CPU is probably the bottleneck in your system.

-Craig

Message 5/6             28-Dec-02  @  06:04 PM   -   RE: The advantage of RAM upgrading...

Anex

Link?:  No link

The reason alot of people notice a big difference between 64 and 128 is 64 is barely enough to run OS's anymore.
The more RAM you have the better, period. It allows you to run more audio tracks for one thing, playing back audio is RAM intensive, not CPU intensive, it's only when your running real time audio processing stuff that your CPU bottle necks.
What speed is it btw?

Message 6/6             11-Jan-03  @  11:43 PM   -   RE: The advantage of RAM upgrading...

Jesper Hemdarve

My CPU is a Neural net Processor -A learning computer.  

Nah, seriously, my CPU is a PIII 733, so the processor is probably the weak link in my system. I Wouldn't mind having a +2 Ghz machine...

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)