aaa Got my nova! - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Got my nova!

Viewing all 14 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/14             27-Dec-02  @  06:15 PM   -   Got my nova!

Broken Silen ce

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Yes yes yes! Finally got my nova, it arrives on the 4th and I can't remove this dumb smile from my face. Now that I'm going to have it, there is an issue that i've been looking for and don't know what to do about it- Connect it.

I want to use the synth in fruityloops. I have a control keyboard, my nova and obviously the PC. Assume that all i have is powercords. How would I hook it up and what cords/devices would I need? Would i keep my speakers hooked to my computer?

I know it's a stupid question, but hey you gotta start somewhere.

Thanks for all your help up to this point---

Andrew

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/14             28-Dec-02  @  12:50 AM   -   RE: Got my nova!

R.A.T.

Mate, you need MIDI to control the synth from your keyboard. Your soundcard will have a single connector (you may need a joystick to MIDI cable).

The output from the synth needs to go to your soundcards input, via a mixer if you have more kit.

How do you intend to use the synth with Fruity ? Its a top app but can be cumbersome for this sort of work. You might want to look at a full blown sequencer. You can always put the parts into fruity after recording.

Good luck.

Message 3/14             28-Dec-02  @  11:13 PM   -   RE: Got my nova!

Broken Silence

The nova is the only synth i will have, so i dont think i will need a mixer (correct me if i'm wrong) and i wanted to use it in fruityloops for home studio purposes, (no live or anything).

I have a Audigy soundcard...so i think it should be okay. (i am out of town and do not have my main CPU with me...so dont know exactly)

VST is a HUGE part of my music, so what other sequencer could i use besides fruity that can run VSTs, VSTis, and DXis?

Message 4/14             29-Dec-02  @  12:27 AM   -   RE: Got my nova!

R.A.T.

I'm a Cubase SX man but you don't have to go the whole hog at once. There is a starter Cubase at under 100 quid but if you are well used to Fruity (and I'm something of a fan, did a lot of my early stuff in fruity) I'd look at a cheap £30 sequencer (check the www.computermusic.co.uk site for reccomendations) which supports VST fx and intruments and record your stuff out into audio to use in Fruity. If you've got the latest Fruity version this can function as a VSTi so you could have the best of both worlds.

Fruity is an awesome piece of sw which can product some very professional stuff, but as you build up your hardware and VSTi collection you may want to look at working with a fully featured sequencer such as Cubase.

Still, whatever floats your boat and works for you....

Message 5/14             31-Dec-02  @  02:27 AM   -   RE: Got my nova!

Broken Silence

So i looked at the shop here and checked out some prices on Cubase...my jaw hit the floor! I had no idea that software could reach like 500+ euros...Until i start working this summer, there is no way i can get funding for that! Hehe...

Well, until then i guess im stuck with fruityloops...so will i be able to use all of my old vst's and other plugins in cubase? God, i wish i could try it out before buying it, cause that would suck if i got stuck with it if i didnt like it...is there a demo version out there or something i could tool around with before getting there? Also, how is cubase's piano roll, that's my favorite thing on fruity loops. Have you tried fruityloops piano roll and is it similar?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions :P

Thanks- Andrew

Message 6/14             31-Dec-02  @  11:06 AM   -   RE: Got my nova!

bedwyr

Link?: Link

there's a few free sequnecers out there, i think computer music magazine have one on the go. does vst etc.

Message 7/14             31-Dec-02  @  05:28 PM   -   RE: Got my nova!

errata

Hey, Nova's are our friends... Welcome to the brotherhood.

I think you are saying you just want to "sample" the Nova and use the sample in Fruity Loops. Is that right? The following is an explaination of how to do that. It is a fairly simple question but if you're new to this it needs to be asked, right?

If so, you can use just about any audio SW for recording and plug the Nova's outs into the soundcard's "line in". (if you have a simple sound card you'll need a cable that runs 2 quarter inch mono outs to one 1/8th inch stereo in). then you can use the recording of your Nova in fruity loops as a sample. If this isn't what you needed to know ignore this paragraph  

You really should get a MIDI interface soon, though. The Power of the NOVA is in it's ability to be endlessly TWEAKED!!!

hehehe

e

Message 8/14             03-Jan-03  @  02:50 AM   -   RE: Got my nova!

proximus

Congrats mate ;)

Message 9/14             06-Jan-03  @  12:54 AM   -   RE: Got my nova!

Broken Silence

Okay kewl! I just got back from vacation, so there was a 3 day period of me not checkin the posts ;P

Yeah that seems to be the case until i look at some more advanced sequencers...

Thanks so much for all of your help, now i just have to deal with the whos gonna send it to me ;P

Andrew

Message 10/14             06-Jan-03  @  12:50 PM   -   RE: Got my nova!

Deano

You can download a demo version of Cubase from the Steinberg site. It's pretty much full spec but with the abiltity to save stuff disabled. Fine to see if you get on with it. I think you're going to enjoy the nova.

Message 11/14             21-Jan-03  @  02:42 AM   -   RE: Got my nova!

Broken Silence

ERRRRRRRRRRRGHGGHGHHHHHAHAHHAHAHH!

I have it! Finally! Now i can't hook the little bitch up! It sounds soo good i love it...been playing with the demo for hours and hours making some kewl patches and making that thing scream. Now, I can't hook it up!

I went to the quicky mart and picked up a 2x2 midi interface. The dude there said that that would be fine for my master keyboard and the nova. I hooked it up, according to the manual, and nothin. Fruityloops doesnt even say that i have a midi device connected.

This is what i did:

Keyboard: OUT to IN A on midi interface.

Nova: OUT to IN B on midi interface.

Nova: IN to OUT B on midi interface.

Then I just connected some speakers to the nova to monitor it for now...going tomarrow to get the appropriate auido cables. What am I missing? It's obviously just me, so what am i doing wrong?

THANKS! -Andrew

Message 12/14             21-Jan-03  @  02:40 PM   -   RE: Got my nova!

99devils

Well, if your interface doesn't merge or echo the MIDI data you won't get any sounds.. Sometimes your sequencing software will do this for you (Sonar can).

-Craig

Message 13/14             21-Jan-03  @  08:44 PM   -   RE: Got my nova!

influx

Link?:  Link

Id put the nova on output A unless something else is there?

also...you need to set fruity to ECHO the midi thats at the inputs...

Message 14/14             22-Jan-03  @  12:33 AM   -   RE: Got my nova!

broken silence

its up now...i had to change to a different soundcard setting. Now all i need is the audio cable to connect to the cpu and im set!

thanks a bunch  

-andrew

Viewing all 14 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)