aaa semi-amateur-professional-ignoramus - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: semi-amateur-professional-ignoramus

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3             01-Jan-03  @  12:39 PM   -   profesional-semi-amateur-ignoramus-purchaser

Kreature

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I've just gone and built a nice shiny new P4 2.4, 512MB. I recently had my notebook thieved and have learnt the hard way that stuff should be backed-up, doh!

I was using what I discovered to be a low-end external soundblaster (extigy) sound card (which I still have) as my key consideration 'was' basic midi conectivity. Now I want to swim with the big fish and get a multi i/o soundcard with midi.

I work mostly with digital sources so da/ad isn't that important (or is it). I run my analogue gear through otboard.

Anyway to cut a long story, any advice on soundcards 200-300 quid range ($300-$450)? Obviously external is better for signal path but is it really worth the hassle?

markburnett@hallucinogenic.co.uk

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/3             01-Jan-03  @  05:01 PM   -   RE: semi-amateur-professional-ignoramus

Def Z

This has been covered time and again. Look back at other threads for this same question. A few bits of information you need to supply are...

Any external gear?

If so, what?

Do you use VSTi's and softsynths?

Do you have a midi keyboard?

Impossible to recommend anything without answering at least those questions.

Message 3/3             07-Jan-03  @  10:23 PM   -   RE: semi-amateur-professional-ignoramus

dr_bubble

Mark:

I was on a quest to find a great audio device myself recently. I just picked up the MBOX from Digidesign (Merry Christmas to myself) and I must say that I'm quite happy with it's performance. The layout is SPDIF in/out (For your D/D transfers) as well as 1/4"/XLR ins and 1/4" inserts for external effects and balanced 1/4" outs (No more worrying about that damn windows Audio Mixer settings!) with two plugs for headphones (1/4" on the back and 1/8" on the front. [ Great for recording a vocalist who has headphones on and the producer who is monitoring through headphones) Also came with Protools LE which is quite nice. I have yet to even scratch the surface of Protools' potential yet. Great sounding device.

Only drawback is that there are no midi ins/outs that you were looking for. Not a concern of mine as I already have a great USB midi interface already.

Actually I first picked up one of the EMI 6out/2in audio USB devices and that really didn't sound too great - the Left channel popped quite a bit and the spdif ins were a bit dodgy as well. So I took it back, bit the bullet, and shelled out another 200 bucks to get the Mbox.

My only gripe with the MBOX is that it's not compatable with the Windows MME Audio Drivers. Meaning, unless your audio applications support ASIO devices you're not going to be able to play their audio through the MBOX. I'm hopeful digidesign will make a patch for this in the future as it was just made available for XP (I'm assuming they didn't build it out as much as they wanted to initially because I'm sure they were shooting for a launch to capture the Holiday Shopping Frenzy).

Hope this helps and good luck!

Cheers,

Matthew

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)