aaa Dave Smith Evolver - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Dave Smith Evolver

Viewing all 23 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/23             03-Jan-03  @  11:38 PM   -   Dave Smith Evolver

Def Z

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Yo all,

Just arrived today. Been playing for an hour. Yahoo!! I love new instruments. Built like a tank, the rubber foot pads on the bottom are more than ample (the teeny-tiny ones on my XT fell off within a week). No on/off button, though. Have to unplug it to turn it off. Not sure what is up with that, I may have to email Mr Smith about that.

Suffers from a painfully small 3 character LED and makes selecting modulation destinations difficult, and with the selection of characters to select from, I feel like I'm trying to read sanscrit (or however you spell that).

4 oscillators, 4 LFO's, lots of options. This thing has some serious power. Tons of routing options, and a VERY useful Delay section (2 delays). The distorsion is pretty good so far, and has a couple of neat features (output hack which mangles the sound pretty good). Very nice lowend, very round. Getting to all of the functions are VERY easy as there is very little scrolling around to be done (ala my XT with is somewhat confusing at times - some options are ONLY available through scrolling with the wheel, and others are easily accessible by pressing the same button a couple of times.) There are 2 levels to each programming option, and you can select the 2nd menu option by pressing a shift key. Very simple.

Each oscillator is fully tunable. Select from a bunch of different osc shapes. Haven't found the noise button yet, though. Will find it if there is one.

So far, my impression is somewhat mixed. My big complaint is the 3 character LED which makes selection modulation destinations tricky. As I learn what "hLP" stands for, it will become easier.

Haven't touched the sequencer yet, so far I'm just trying to make as much weird noise as possible. So far, it seems pretty easy to make some VERY good noises.

Not that anyone asked...

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/23             04-Jan-03  @  12:15 PM   -   RE: Dave Smith Evolver

Mindspawn

Link?: Link

Noise is good....

Message 3/23             04-Jan-03  @  01:18 PM   -   RE: Dave Smith Evolver

Def Z

Uh yes, found the noise knob. Fun. :-) Did lots more playing last night and had even more fun. I found myself laughing out loud quite often with the noises created. Don't know how much usable noise, but cool/fun noise anyways. After I learn some more about the thing, I'll post some on my website as MP3's so y'all can hear my fun.

Having a little trouble tricking some real gut wrenching low-end out of it. It has a really nice even, round sound, but I'm not getting that intesting rattling rumble that I was looking for. I checked my signal path and I'm going direct into my mixer, and all the eq and low shelving is off. The good news, though, is that for all the nastiness of it, it is equally beautiful at times. The analog filter is very nice, and the option of routing the highpass before AND after the lowpass makes for some unique routing options. The lowpass (2pole and 4 pole) is real analog, and is surrounded by DSP which does the delays, the distorsion, the highpass and other options.

I'm still not thrilled with the LED - I think a little more there would have been helpful (it's only a 3 character LED), so I'm gonna need to keep the mod destinations and mod sources tables nearby forever. Which is somewhat unfortunate.

It's VERY easy to save patches, which is handy, and navigating around the program editor is easier than on any other synth I have. Not sure I'd want to be trying to program on the fly in a live setting, as the whole thing is little bigger than a VHS cassette tape. The buttons are small, and the knobs are small. The knobs feel pretty secure, though. They are indented all the way around, so it is VERY easy to go from 1 to 2 to 3 to 4. You won't accidentally go from 1 to 4. 1 click redisplays the current setting, so you can see what value you have without changing it. It is also full rotary and clicks ALL THE WAY AROUND. Quite brilliant if you ask me.

I'll be able to spend more time programming over the next couple of days, and I'll post more about the sound later. Still trying to implement all of the options, and I have only gone through the presets once.

Message 4/23             04-Jan-03  @  01:47 PM   -   RE: Dave Smith Evolver

k

Link?:  Link

File?:  [image]

[image file]

so how does it work?... I assume each row is selectable and then the top pots control that selected rows parameters?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/23             04-Jan-03  @  02:25 PM   -   RE: Dave Smith Evolver

Def Z

That's exactly it. There are 8 rows (with buttons) and 8 columns (with knobs). Each row has 2 parameters. Press the button for the 3rd row, and you have 8 knobs to control the parameters. If you wanna change the filter freq, hit the button for the 3rd row, and twist the 1st knob. Wanna change the filter from 2pole to 4pole? Hit the shift button, hit the 3rd row button, and twist the 1st knob. There's a TON of parameters to change, and each one is VERY easy to get to. It's quite intelligently laid out. It's amazingly easy to get to everything. And like I said, the knobs are awesome. Indented, yet 100% rotary (what's the word for that?)

It's a monosynth, but because the delay is dsp, the delay taps (of which you can have 3 separate) don't steal any voices. Time the delay right, and you can get chords. The first 2 oscillators are pure analog and you can select from wave forms, and the 2nd 2 osc are digital. It's a 4 osc monosynth. Pretty cool. A really unique merge of analog and digital. And the thing so SMALL!!

Message 6/23             04-Jan-03  @  05:01 PM   -   RE: Dave Smith Evolver

Steve Roughley

Hey, neato. Thats a bloody interesting idea for a synth. How much?

Steve.

Message 7/23             04-Jan-03  @  09:07 PM   -   RE: Dave Smith Evolver

Def Z

Here's the link to the site.

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/

I think it's the only one they've got going right now. I paid list as they are doing distribution themselves. $475. It's somewhat pricey, but comparable to the price of a used analog. I really need to see if I can get some low-end.

Message 8/23             04-Jan-03  @  10:15 PM   -   RE: Dave Smith Evolver

Def Z

Still no love with the low-end. Perhaps I can borrow Mindspawns studio and they'll be apparent there. ;-)

Message 9/23             05-Jan-03  @  09:49 PM   -   RE: Dave Smith Evolver

Mindspawn

Hey DefZ - If you want I should have a little time available towrad the end off next week. Alternatively, just give a ring at the studio (781.756.8900) when you've some time and maybe our schedules will happen to coincide... I'd enjoy hearing what this little cretcher can do mesef... I will be around here today for that matter, least until around 8-9ish...

Message 10/23             06-Jan-03  @  01:31 PM   -   RE: Dave Smith Evolver

Def Z

Sorry I didn't get back to you last night. I've got to make a run to Cape Cod this morning, and if we could get together tonight, that would work out great. I'll give you a buzz later today when I get back. I'm getting a little frustrated with this. Although, it may be my speakers, I may not have the frequency range required. Which would be annoying, but I wouldn't feel as bad about the synth. After spending even more time with this, my only complaints are the lack of a power button, and the lack of low-end. I may end up selling my DarkStar...

Message 11/23             07-Jan-03  @  12:01 AM   -   RE: Dave Smith Evolver

Mindspawn

Heheh... Well, as you already know, I'm out this eve, but my dentist appt wasn't too awful... Anyhoos, Thursday or Friday (or sometime over the weekend) will work if you get free.

Pissa

Message 12/23             12-Jan-03  @  01:58 PM   -   RE: Dave Smith Evolver

Def Z

Just in case anyone is still following this piece of kit...

I chilled with Mindspawn the other night and we were playing with the Evolver. Definitely benefitted from Mindspawns experience. We were able to delve into the kit dig up some lowend. Mindspawn can speak for himself, but what we found was that the lowend was hidden. Did some mangling and programming, and found a nice hump around 20hz. Too bad the monitors in my studio go to 52hz. So I missed that. But we did find a nice bottom end. It turns out I'll have to check my studio setup. Might need to do some tweaking with my monitors to get it right.

We jammed a little - he on the rs7k, and me on the Evolver. The Evolver comes with 3 banks of sounds - bank 1 has standard programs, bank 2 has programs with sequences, and I hvaen't quite figured out what bank 3 is for. We found a program with a cool sequence and went from there. I found the programs easy to manipulate real time, although sometimes I got a little lost running through the matrix. A knobby box connected would help get to some of the other parameters. I thought it really cut through the mix well.

Going through the presets, and programming on our own, we found it to sound very analog one minute, and insanely digital the next. I guess that's what will happen with a hybrid. Mindspawn commented on how much like a prophet some of the presets sounded. I reminded him that Dave Smith was a designer for Sequential Circuits. :-)

Anyhow, for a while I was considering returning the synth as I wasn't entirely happy with the lowend. I was thinking that I may be able to sell my Darkstar, as this would be doing the nasty low-end bass stuff that I've been using the DarkStar for (the heavy bottom of the DarkStar is well known, I think). But after a trip to Mindspawns, I've decided that I couldn't possibly let this go. Not only does it have a nice low-end, but it's also got the nastiness I've been looking for in my dnb basslines. Simply put, it's my own god-damned fault the thing didn't sound the way I wanted it to.

All in all, the trip to Mindspawns was an eye-opening experience (as is every trip). This is one kick ass mono-synth whose analog components are readily apparent, and which benefits greatly DSP technology. Smaller than a hardcover book, and heavier than a brick, the Evolver packs a punch that belies its diminutive size.

Cheers to Mindspawn for the help and guidance. See you next Thursday. :-)

Message 13/23             12-Jan-03  @  09:40 PM   -   RE: Dave Smith Evolver

Mindspawn

Heheh... glad it helped you out good sir. I had a good deal o' funs mesef.... ayup, Thursady it is...=)

Message 14/23             13-Jan-03  @  06:38 AM   -   RE: Dave Smith Evolver

trev

has
dancetech turned into a dating service

Message 15/23             13-Jan-03  @  06:46 AM   -   RE: Dave Smith Evolver

psylichon

LO fucking L, I was thinking the exact same thing as I read the last three posts! hahahahaha!

psy

Message 16/23             13-Jan-03  @  02:04 PM   -   RE: Dave Smith Evolver

Def Z

Tough crowd. Yikes!

Message 17/23             15-Jan-03  @  08:44 AM   -   RE: Dave Smith Evolver

Mindspawn

But Dudes, DefZ has some really cute knobs...=P

Peace

Message 18/23             15-Jan-03  @  10:36 PM   -   RE: Dave Smith Evolver

Def Z

Oh stop it Mind-y, you're making me blush. ;ol

Message 19/23             21-Jan-03  @  09:26 PM   -   RE: Dave Smith Evolver

Hilevelt

The sound is really punchy, sharp, & TIGHT, & not at all loose & fat like the old sequential synths, though I'm not surprised that Mindspawn could hear the Prophet connection (same digital waveforms as the VS). I'm going to be bringing one over to Q & Influx's places to check out, & anyone who's interested can get one from me for a bit less than the $475 price.

btw, I spent a lot of time with John Bowen & Dave (Wine Country) over at the NAMM show. John Bowen's the one who did a lot of the original prophet designs & made all those waveforms, as well as being the father of the Wavestation. They've got a new Pro One emulation for Pulsar that's absolutely perfect, it sounds even more analog than the Evolver!

Message 20/23             30-Jan-03  @  08:01 AM   -   RE: Dave Smith Evolver

Pongoid

Just met Dave Smith last night at a lecture he gave, as well as Roger Linn. Both very cool guys. Dave's a sonic sicko. Definately dig that cat. A couple friends have picked up Evolvers. I think I'll have to get one soon myself. VERY cool unit indeed. Def, I hope you're loving yours.

Linn's a smart business man, who makes great stuff as well. Looks like he's gonna do another drum machine sometime soon. He's asked me for design and feature suggestions. I can't wait to see what he cooks up. His new toy, the AdrenaLinn is pretty cool too.

Dave's service policy is the best I've ever seen as well. Simple. See, the Evolver is just one board, and no wires. So if you email or call him and tell him you have a problem, he sends you a new board overnight, and you just take off the knobs, undo the pot collars, about four screws on the back plate, and maybe six mounting screws, pull the old board out of the case, put the new one in, (make sure your grounded, don't want to zing the board) redo the screws, collars and knobs, plug it in, and your Evolver is good to go. It's literally a five minute operation from start to finish once your board arrives. You send back the old board, and everybody's happy. Easiest fix I've ever seen on a synth, hands down. Smart man.

bbbbAnyhoos, cool, unit. Gotta get one. BTW, you can link more than one up, so if you wanted to have a prophet5 on acid, steroids, and speed, you could do it, and control all the units with the first one in the chain. He also does discounts on more than one unit. Dope, and cheaper than a prophet5, and meaner sounding than a VS.

Ape

Message 21/23             30-Jan-03  @  04:16 PM   -   RE: Dave Smith Evolver

Dominic

I can't keep up with all these new releases. Good job I'm poor! :-)

Message 22/23             30-Jan-03  @  11:43 PM   -   RE: Dave Smith Evolver

Def Z

Definitely loving mine. Am having some issues with it though. Solved the lowend problem. It seems that whenever I resize midi clip in Sonar, the pitch of the Evolver changes. Very strange. A guy on the Evolver yahoogroup says I should email my problem to Dave - haven't done it yet, but soon.

Message 23/23             31-Jan-03  @  03:05 AM   -   RE: Dave Smith Evolver

psylichon

Try this: in 'Options' 'Project' 'MIDI Out', uncheck "zero controllers when playback stops"

I'd be curious to see if that does anything.

psy

Viewing all 23 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 23 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)