aaa cheapish pc's? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: cheapish pc's?

Viewing all 14 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/14             07-Jan-03  @  10:20 AM   -   cheapish pc's?

mathew

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

my pc packed up over xmas, so i need a new one. can anyone recommend anywhere in the uk/london i should look. I dont need a monitor, keyboard, software etc, and am after something like 1.7-2ghz processor with 256 mgs ram, and cd-r.
I have between 500-600 to spend.

thanks

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/14             07-Jan-03  @  11:32 AM   -   RE: cheapish pc's?

Steve Roughley

Try building one yourself. It will be alot more reliable and places like ebuyer.com and scan.co.uk sell very cheap components. ALternatively, ebuyer.com does sell alot of ready made PC's as well, and they are reasonably priced.

Regards.

Steve.

Message 3/14             07-Jan-03  @  12:07 PM   -   RE: cheapish pc's?

Si

Link?: Link

You can buy upgrade kits really cheap from places like www.komplett.co.uk - they'll sell you the processor & fan, memory, hard drive, motherboard, etc. Both Intel and AMD varieties, though you'll probably find AMD cheaper.

Message 4/14             07-Jan-03  @  12:13 PM   -   RE: cheapish pc's?

dARKSTATe

Yup, add IT BUTTIKEN who are pretty cheap too (They're in Denmark, but they take switch and deliver to the UK)

http://div.itbutikken.dk/default.asp?

If you already have the sound solution, £500-600 will get you quite a bit of PC especially you can recycle the ancilliary bits like CDRom, Keyboard, Floppydisk, mouse etc..

Message 5/14             07-Jan-03  @  12:48 PM   -   RE: cheapish pc's?

k

Link?:  Link

yeah, i built a 2gig athlon for about 500 quid and that was back in the summer so it'd be a bit cheaper now - if you want you can mail me and i'll help you out, you could come and take a look at the machine I built in action - it runs plenty of stuff.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/14             07-Jan-03  @  04:13 PM   -   RE: cheapish pc's?

dARKSTATe

Yeah, XP2100+s are down to about £91 and mobos to support it (including PC2700 ram, ATA133 support, USB2 etc.) are around a ton.. so you'll be laughing..

Just gotta remember to get a minumum 300W PSU, decent (quiet) cpu cooling, LONG ATA100/133 cables (if you're having two harddisks - system/audio etc) and RAM..

Message 7/14             07-Jan-03  @  04:23 PM   -   RE: cheapish pc's?

mathew

i like the challenge of building a pc, but wonder if it is beyond my means. is it basically a question of buying the right components and then plugging them together?

I think i need to read your article k and see how easy it will be. thanks for offer of help.
m

Message 8/14             07-Jan-03  @  04:30 PM   -   RE: cheapish pc's?

Si

I've had a nightmare building my own Pc which hasn't worked properly since the day I bought the first parts almost 2 years ago, but that was down to me buying parts that I didn't read into. You'll find recommendations for all sorts of hardware here, and piecing the machine together isn't really that difficult as long as you're using 'trusted' parts.

Even if you do run into problems, there are plenty of folks here who'll be able to sort you out!

Message 9/14             07-Jan-03  @  11:19 PM   -   RE: cheapish pc's?

bedwyr

yeah do it! it's easy really, get the bits, stick them together. just do your research first and ask plenty questions when you're stuck.

Message 10/14             08-Jan-03  @  08:55 AM   -   RE: cheapish pc's?

dARKSTATe

Especially when its gutting to see prebuilt PCs with initiall "attractive" price points, only to look into the actual components they're using to discover what a rip-off these machines are!

And that's not even including the "pro audio" PCs that you can get from places like Millenium or Digital Village etc... I'm sure these machines work fine but they're SERIOUSLY overpriced compared to an own built machine and provided you do spend the time to do a little research and ask questions, you can save a LOT of money... its just a toss up as to what's more valuable to you? The saving of dosh, or the saving of time in not having to learn about your machine? Me? I'd go for the saving of dosh coz even with a pre-built "pro audio" machine, you're asking for headaches if you don't at least get to understand your workstation a bit..  

Message 11/14             08-Jan-03  @  11:34 AM   -   RE: cheapish pc's?

Steve Roughley

"is it basically a question of buying the right components and then plugging them together?"

Yep. Remember the shape puzzles that you learn as a child (Square block in square hole, triangle block in triangle hole, etc, etc)? This isn't too different for the fact that if the piece fits its probably in the right place. Don't get me wrong, there is a bit to learn and some tricks to apply, but its an otherwise straight forward affair and I'm sure we'll answer any Qs that you may have.

Regards.

Steve.

Message 12/14             08-Jan-03  @  01:27 PM   -   RE: cheapish pc's?

k

physicaly building a pc is easy - it's the OS install and when something goes wrong that slays the newbie. it's like meachnic-ing I guess - knowing what that knocking noise means is experience

but building a pc is WAY easier that adjusting your tappets on a four stroke or anything like that

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 13/14             08-Jan-03  @  03:06 PM   -   RE: cheapish pc's?

Anex

You will also find that when stuff does go wrong, after you have built it yourself, you will probably be able to diagnose+fix problems yourself as you will know your machine inside and out (excuse pun).
Even if it seems daunting at first, making it is deff the way to go, cheaper, faster and you can set it up exactly how you want it. Plus it's all useful knowledge to have. It really isn't too hard, there are thousands of websites out there telling you what to do if you get stuck, this is the internet after all.
You can count me in for help too if you need it, I'm a self confessed computer geek  

Message 14/14             08-Jan-03  @  04:17 PM   -   RE: cheapish pc's?

k

listen matt, mail me if you like @ admin@dancetech.com and i'll help you build one - but use 512 ram - it'll cost about 400 quid for a 2gig athlon - you'll have to do the footwork tho. I'm down by sloane square.

Viewing all 14 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)