aaa hard drive system ? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: hard drive system ?

Viewing all 26 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/26             16-Jan-03  @  03:35 PM   -   hard drive system ?

Kazhul

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi !
Has any of u ever used an ATA 100 RAID card (onboard or additional) to record tracks via a soundcard ?
I now own an Echo Mia (not installed yet), and I'm thinking about how it would work (how many tracks, how fast), with such a disk controller...
Usually, they're used for servers...
Any hint about that ?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/26             16-Jan-03  @  03:58 PM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

Anex

Check the PC Music forum, theres a thread titled RAID- Any point (I think). Think it answers your questions

Message 3/26             16-Jan-03  @  06:03 PM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

Kazhul

Errr.. Well, thanx, yes, it does bring an answer, as I thought to use IDE disks...

Well, I might try another system, unless I'm crazy enough to launch myself into the adventure !

I have an Asustek A7V motherboard which does not recognize the ATA 100... I'll try and give a look at ur Abit boards ;-)

Message 4/26             16-Jan-03  @  08:25 PM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

Anex

If you going to be using a seperate PCI card then the ATA100 will work fine. Abit do them. Around £30 IIRC

Message 5/26             16-Jan-03  @  10:16 PM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

beds

Link?:  Link

i got an asus a7v with promise on board ata-100 ultra ide dooda, windows sees it as a scsi/raid controller

Message 6/26             17-Jan-03  @  01:03 PM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

Anex

When you say 'does not recognise the ATA100' what do you mean? It's just that you can't just hook the disks onto that and expect to install from scratch, it needs drivers.
To be honest tho, I wouldn't bother using the RAID, I'd just use it as an ATA100 controller.

Message 7/26             17-Jan-03  @  04:43 PM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

Kazhul

Well, in fact, I mean that I've never been able to install any system on my drive connected to the ATA100 promise controller. Nor 2000pro, neither win98se.

I had to connect it to the UDMA 66. Then, when I installed the controller, I've never been able to use the disk connected to the ATA100 port: it freezes down my system when I read-write big files !

And u know multi-tracks requires big files...
I haven't tried yet with my soundcard, but only copying and reading big test files in windows makes my PC freeeeeeeeeze !!!

What can I do !!!

Message 8/26             17-Jan-03  @  04:51 PM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

Kazhul

Eerrrr, well, I wouldn't transform this forum into the PC forum...

Main fact is: I have a brand new Echo Mia, nice and neat, I dream about it and tenderly look it on my desk, but with so many disk trouble in my PC that I can't try it out !!! :-(

Message 9/26             17-Jan-03  @  06:39 PM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

Anex

U did give the os's the drivers tho didn't u? E.g. to install 2K onto ATA100 u have to press F6 when prompted then give it the driver disk, otherwise it can't see your disks.

Message 10/26             19-Jan-03  @  01:41 PM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

Anex

Sorry, didn't read your last post correctly. Have you got the latest BIOS and drivers from the Asus site? I've worked with plenty of Asus boards (although not this one) but they've generally been very reliable and stable. Perhaps search google etc. to find out if there are any issues and possible fixes? Sometimes it can be things like the controller will not work with certain hard disks (some of the IBM disks caused probs like this a few years ago) and a simple BIOS flash will take care of it.

Message 11/26             14-Feb-03  @  12:44 PM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

Kazhul

Hey, thanks for the pieces of advice :-)

Well, I'm now trying to use Windows XP.
Works great !
The ATA100 controller is correctly installed, and I can use my hard drvie normaly. The ECHO MIA is also installed, and works...
Err... Almost...
Now, another issue has appeared: when I use several audio tracks simultaneously, the sound quality starts to fall (frying sounds appear), the audio tracks sync fails, and then the playing stops :-(
Seems to run low on resources... Dunno...
I tried Cubase VST (bad luck, it freezes with my Athlon)...
I'm now using my old cakewalk 8, works almost but this phenomenon is still present :-(

Message 12/26             14-Feb-03  @  02:11 PM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

99devils

Link?: Link

Do you realize that an ATA-66 drive can stream almost 100 tracks? Why bother with the ATA-100 card, just plug the drive in and it'll function as ATA-66.

As for the Promise card, if you didn't get one with a boot BIOS you'll never get it to support an OS. It's simply an impossibility. SCSI cards are like this too.

-Craig

Message 13/26             14-Feb-03  @  08:29 PM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

Anex

The ATA66/100/133 etc. only applies to disk to disk transfer at the out very outside of the platter anyway. The ATA speed really doesn't mean that much in the real world though the new stuff is faster anyway.

Message 14/26             17-Feb-03  @  01:22 PM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

Kazhul

Windows XP is able to install itself (I did it) on my onboard ATA 100, 99Devils, that's not the trouble anymore...

The trouble is, I'm a complete "audio" newibe, that is I'm discovering how to work with audio, and I don't know the tenth of what some of u already know. I'm used to midi, not to audio, and I'm getting upset with my PC when I see it doesn't work as it should.

Yet, my current trouble is I'm running low on resource (processor, ram, I still dunno), I guess... Maybe 384 Mb RAM is too small, maybe 1ghz Athlon is too slow, but I suspect there is something wrong in my software options...
Dunno what exactly, though...
I keep searching infos.

100 audio tracks ? That would be nice, too many tracks really, I would be happy with 4 stereo...

Message 15/26             17-Feb-03  @  02:09 PM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

Anex

Hmmm I'd deffinately up the ram, half a gig would be good as XP just eats memory. Can you seriously not run four stereo tracks tho?

Message 16/26             17-Feb-03  @  09:34 PM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

99devils

Do you know which resource it is you're running out of? What's a typical project for you? How many plugins? Audio tracks? Softsynths? Are you using realtime processing on input signals?

I'd wager you're just running too many plug-ins and softsynths at once and you're filling the CPU, but I don't know until I know more about your project.

-Craig

PS - I didn't mean to sound bitchy about the ATA-100 thing.. I was just pointing out that it wasn't reallly necessary, and depending on the type of card you had might not have been possible.

Message 17/26             18-Feb-03  @  02:28 PM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

Kazhul

Eerrrrrrr, what do I run out of ? That's the question, realy, I'm not used to the new XP system and I'm looking for this info ! I know I'll find it (sooner or later), he he he...

What do I use ?
Only hardsynths, directly recorded by the MIA card, and for now my Trinity V3.
No softsynths !
No plug-ins (not yet)...
Cakewalk 8 sending midi and reading midi and audio tracks.
How many audio tracks ?
Eek : 6 tracks (and it makes the reading fail as described above).
I tried the dither mode, I tried the mono mode, but actually, it doesn't sound as good as sound recorded directly through the MIA card using the Windows shitty basic recorder at 48 rate, instead of Cakewalk 8 in 96 rate !

The XP drivers allow me to use only the 16 bits (instead of 24), but that's not really relevant, for I saw quite a difference between the Windows recorder and Cakewalk... I would have never wager Cakewalk would "loose" the match !!! he he he !!

I guess I'll try Cubase VST again, and try to check in my recording options ! And try to find the widgets I need in XP to monitor my resources !!!
And finish reading the help files ;-)

What u can all tell me is: which wave mode is supposed to work better : DITHER or MONO mode ?

Message 18/26             18-Feb-03  @  05:07 PM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

Anex

I wouldn't have thought you'd want to be working in mono. I don't think that is the answer to your problems.

Is everything upto date? Drivers, windows, cakewalk etc? If not you should do that, even if it doesn't fix this problem, it should make things faster and more stable all round.

Message 19/26             18-Feb-03  @  07:21 PM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

Kazhul

Woooo... I'm definitely on the stereo thing, mate!
I was not intending to use mono, it's just that I was wondering if there is a difference between a lone stereo track in "dither" and two left-right "mono" tracks to make one stereo blending them afterwards...

As up to date as possible my system do be, or so I do think : I've just installed XP pro, and it worked just fine, or so it seemed...

My hard drive for data is all alone on an ATA100, no irq should be shared (I'll check again to be sure) with my lil MIA.

I'm really beginning to believe it is something so damn stupid I forgot, something so obvious I did not think about it, cause with my system I'm POSITIVE I could do even more than 6 stereo track at 94/16 !! This has a strong tendency to make my mad with anger and fear of my own stupidity :-[

I guess I'll try again to use Cubase VST...
It might be that my old CakeWalkPA-8 is really too old...

Message 20/26             18-Feb-03  @  07:32 PM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

Anex

'I've just installed XP pro'

Yeah but did you update XP using windows update?

Message 21/26             18-Feb-03  @  07:59 PM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

psylichon

6 stereo tracks @ 16-bit/96k is about the same as streaming 26 mono tracks @ 16/44.1. While this is feasible with your system, I wouldn't expect it to perform all that great with your specs. 26 tracks of loops or small clips perhaps, but not contiguous streaming tracks.

I would DEFINITELY consider running at a lower sampling rate if I were you. 96k is nice, no doubt, but the overhead for it is a bitch. I'm sure you'd rather get some mixing horsepower for your buck. and upgrade to Sonar!

psy

Message 22/26             18-Feb-03  @  08:03 PM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

psylichon

ooooh, pro audio 8, i remember now! try fiddling with your sync options. you can sync playback to MIDI, smpte, audio, or internal or something like that. Some audio cards work better when you leave it on internal timing, others like it when you sync to audio. Give those a shot. I had to use internal sync with my DSP Factory in CWPA8.

psy

Message 23/26             20-Feb-03  @  03:54 AM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

psylichon

well, i'm curious....

Message 24/26             20-Feb-03  @  11:24 AM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

k

Link?:  Link

yeah but... that 'soundcard gradualy fizzing and then decaying' thing was also a problem midiman had with XP correct?

marian - remember the huge SoS thread about their cards? - can you try another card possibly? (borrow one mebbe?) - and have you installed all the VIA (if via chipset) patches?... there's a new 'all in one' 4:1 driver for all VIA sets available at their site - (one of which is the via busmaster controller which does drive transfer tasks. However, the card is the end destination for data being streamed so if that's buggered in some way it'll reduce track rates as will a crappy card or a crappy driver

is your card in slot 3 ?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 25/26             25-Feb-03  @  06:56 PM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

Kazhul

Slot 3 ? Hu ? I'll check it out ! I guess it's not, but the main thing is that there must be no IRQ share, isn't it ??? :-)

4 in 1 ? Hum, no, I guess I've not installed this ! Never had to, or thought so... Gonna check it on ;-)

And I can't borrow another soundcard (but my cheap soundblaster), 'cause I'm the only musician among my friends :-(

Should be a software bios update, this 4 in 1 ?
For VIA chipset ? Hum, right... Let's hunt on the web :-) I'll keep in touch, thanks to all of u !

Message 26/26             25-Feb-03  @  08:05 PM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

psylichon

so the different sync options in cakewalk didn't help? I really had high hopes that was it.

Viewing all 26 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 26 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)