aaa Strings that are *not* trancey? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Strings that are *not* trancey?

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             17-Jan-03  @  10:46 AM   -   Strings that are *not* trancey?

Bastiaan

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

How do I squeeze some of those lush, 70's style strings out of my nova? Or those airy etheral ones?

Mine's allways end up rather much like those found on William Orbit or Tiesto or Ferry Korsten's albums.....I use saw's a bit of detune, slow attack, slow release etc....possibly some lfo's and off course 'syfonic mode' and 'VCO' for all the oscillators. Unison tends to clutter the sounds too much, but chorus does wonders...(why *needs* that supersaw after all?)

still...they all sound too trance-like...is it me of just the nova?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             18-Jan-03  @  04:48 PM   -   RE: Strings that are *not* trancey?

psylichon

Link?: Link

well, depends on what you're after. Lush and airy are two different things. 70's strings were usually real (we talkin' disco here?), not analog.

If you want lush, use square waves or doublesaws with different widths for each osc and slow pulse width modulation in varying amounts and directions for each osc. This will give you a really thick sound that can have cool phasing qualities if you mess with it.

If you want airy, mess with band- and high-pass filtering. But you're not going to get a "realistic" string sound out of the Nova. pretty much any kind of classic analog string sound you can think of is attainable with a Nova, though. Well, excpet for a mellotron ;)

psy

Message 3/5             20-Jan-03  @  12:13 PM   -   RE: Strings that are *not* trancey?

BJT

Link?:  No link

Try squares or triangles instead of saws.
Try a 1 pole filter.
Add a bit of tremolo but let it fade out.

Message 4/5             20-Jan-03  @  03:57 PM   -   RE: Strings that are *not* trancey?

Bastiaan

Link?: Link

I don't have a triangle....a softened Square will have to do the trick....lemme go and play around....

Message 5/5             26-Jan-03  @  08:55 PM   -   RE: Strings that are *not* trancey?

Thomas Laskowski

Link?:  Link

Maybe this would be a better place for a smapler and some real smapled strings?

I know the question was how to get them on the nova... but just suggesting.

Tom

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)