aaa the next step please - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: the next step please

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             20-Jan-03  @  12:24 PM   -   the next step please

oliv'

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi dters !
Well, I'm sure that this kind of subject had already been treated but I want to ask you something :
I've got some of my tracks now finished. As I create my music only with MIDI, each sequencer track corresponds to an instrument (on REASON for example). The deal is that I'm now ready to EQ each sequencer track before recording it and putting it on CD. So how to proceed ?
I thought that I had to insert for each track a plug in that allows to EQ (I don't want to use the small graphical EQ on cubase) : so do I have to load this plug in for each track (and therefore if I have 50 sequencer tracks, I should load 50 times the same plug in ?), or inserting it as a Master FX ?
Yup, I could EQ for track I, and then switching off the plug in and loading it on track II... but I doubt about the efficience of this process...
Do you have any suggestions ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated...
toutiman

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             20-Jan-03  @  01:08 PM   -   RE: the next step please

bedwyr

Link?: Link

don't use any eq to start with, just use the level faders to get a nice mix going. there's no point thinking, "right, i got to eq everything", if it ain't broke don't fix it sort of thing. that is, unless you want to use eq as an effect - e.g. telephone eq on a voice or something.

Message 3/9             20-Jan-03  @  01:33 PM   -   RE: the next step please

chroma

do what bedwyr says first then if/when you do need to eq, just eq one track at a time, bounce the audio, then turn off the plugin so it doesnt take up any cpu...hopefully your pc is fast enough to run several plugins, so you can eq more tracks at once...then you can eq, say all the drums and bass tracks to sit better with each other

Message 4/9             20-Jan-03  @  07:14 PM   -   RE: the next step please

k

Link?:  Link

agreed - eq for the sake of it?... nah

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/9             20-Jan-03  @  07:48 PM   -   RE: the next step please

oliv'

yo, thanx for the reply guys,
ok, I'm really a newbee then, I thought EQing was always a good way to make a good sounding track...
Let's first go for level then !!!
Hmmm, by the way, where do you think I should put my monitors ? In front of me ? One on my left ear, the other on my right ? On the floor, on the roof or at the same level than my ears ?
After that little 'last' help, I should be ready to mix these fucking tracks ! I hope !
thanx a lot, have a nice day
toutiman

Message 6/9             20-Jan-03  @  08:03 PM   -   RE: the next step please

d

make a triangle. put your head at one point,
the monitors at the other two. angle them in
slightly. put them so the tweeters are the
same level as your ears.

Message 7/9             21-Jan-03  @  12:18 AM   -   RE: the next step please

k

well, eq-ing is subjective AND corrective.. one some sounds you might want to cut out the frequencies below 380 hz so a simple bass-cut filter would be the thing which shouldn't use any cpu - I use logicv and it has effective eq selections on the channels before adding any plugins, so you can stack a hipass thru a paramtric or whatever... really the VST eq is ok for corrective tasks, and prolly ok for the rest but mebbe you want to use others... also think of other things to mess with frequencies such as flangers. so there's no real fixed template really, unless you have a preset song you open which is setup for your usual working method.... like a template - if you hardwire your REASON drumbox individual outs ot the VST mixer, then you get one drum-sound per VST mixer channel - you can also patch in a dedicated pair for the other items...

if that is your template reason and VST setup then... it opens with 8 RE:DRUM channels & two REASON synths in stereo each - all that is on the VST mixer labelled - well THEN add whatever eq's you favour for the kik, snare, etc channels

fix the tracks each to wahetrver they do and save that setup as a SONG file template you can load to work on new stuff - but again, eq is subjective,a nd there's so much more to a mix than that or rather it all goes hand in hand, anyways don't sweat it.. just do you own thing hwo you like the sound..

If however you want the same eq in each channel (fair enuff desire) then I dunno if there is a way in VST to quickly copy plugin settings from one to another/other mixer channel/s

anyone?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 8/9             21-Jan-03  @  02:33 AM   -   RE: the next step please

chroma

surely...just select the channel in the mixer, copy then paste into the desired channel

Message 9/9             21-Jan-03  @  07:45 AM   -   RE: the next step please

influx

yup

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)