aaa Midi Control of Protools Faders etc - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Midi Control of Protools Faders etc

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4             20-Jan-03  @  10:17 PM   -   Midi Control of Protools Faders etc

Matthew Shoup

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Quick question for all you Protools buffs out there. I can't afford one of those Protools external vitural Mixing board (JLCooper/Mackie HUI) units to control my Mix/Edit window faders/sliders/pan knobs. Is there anyway I can have protools use a generic midi interface (a keyboard for example) so I could map my mod wheel on my keyboard to a protools fader, move my mod wheel and protools would "learn" this or otherwise manually assign this midi control signal to a specific protools fader/knob/slider/plugin? Like Reason's midi control "Learn mode".

I'm quite frustrated with using my mouse for precision automation and I'd like the control to be a bit more humanistic than the pencil tool can provide. I tried for a few hours this weekend and did not have much luck. (Read somewhere you can hold down the "control" key and click on the fader [which is supposed to turn the fader green but doesn't] and protools will "learn" the midi events. I assume this is either for an older version of PT or on the MAC platform.)

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Matthew

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/4             20-Jan-03  @  10:31 PM   -   RE: Midi Control of Protools Faders etc

milan

Link?: Link

heh, dont we all wish! unfortunately i dont think its possible. its probably a part of "pro" in pro tools and the reason why everything connected to it has to be digidesign approved and so bloody expensive. if anyone knows better please correct me, i'd be more than happy to find out.

regards, m.

Message 3/4             21-Jan-03  @  01:27 AM   -   RE: Midi Control of Protools Faders etc

Matthew Shoup

Link?:  No link

I thought this might be one of those ploys to take more of my money. I was thinking I'd get a hold of one of them and see what midi events they actually send. It's got to be some sort of MIDI standard events they send.. yes? If I can capture those events by recording them into another sequencer program I may be able to figure out how these controllers operate. Just didn't want to go through all that trouble.

Anyone else have any experience with this or have access to a control unit they could MIDI "record" for my enlightenment?

Thanks.

Matthew

Message 4/4             21-Jan-03  @  01:37 AM   -   RE: Midi Control of Protools Faders etc

psylichon

Link?: Link

problem is a lot of PT control surfaces use ethernet interfaces.

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)