aaa Logic performer - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Logic performer

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             27-Jan-03  @  05:05 PM   -   Logic performer

t.driessens

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hi, I was wondering if there are any amongst you that do live performances with Logic on a laptop with softsynths. I am about to try this with an Acer Travelmate 600MHz processor and just HOPE it will do !!
Any advice or experienced trouble is welcome. I am working on a fixed PC but for performing I take a laptop, without knowing how many softs will drop out... (PC is 700MHz)
Apart from that there is Win2000 running on the laptop and Win98 on the fixed PC...

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             27-Jan-03  @  05:59 PM   -   RE: Logic performer

psylichon

not much experience here, other than to tell you it had better be a pretty minimal set with a 600 (or even 700). That is, unless you like dropouts.

psy

Message 3/8             27-Jan-03  @  09:04 PM   -   RE: Logic performer

Jesper Hemdarve

Link?:  No link

I run Logic 5 on a PIII 733, and with an ES2 & a Platinumverb, it's already at 70-80% performance. If you have many audiotracks and lots of RAM it will be less stressful on the CPU.

Message 4/8             28-Jan-03  @  09:59 AM   -   RE: Logic performer

t.driessens

well I don't use audio at all, that is to say, only audio instruments, FM7 and absynth and largely the EX24, but never more than 8 tracks.
The only problem I had sofar is that the effects are sometimes out of sync and I have to find a place where I can quickly do a stop/play so that it is in tune again...

Message 5/8             28-Jan-03  @  10:03 AM   -   RE: Logic performer

bedwyr

fx out of sync? which ones? if they're the internal (delay) fx on the fm7 then that's a logic bug (fixed now i think) which version of logic are you using?

Message 6/8             28-Jan-03  @  03:17 PM   -   RE: Logic performer

Ton

I use 5.1 and it happens almost always that when I start a track, the delays are not in sync. I tap enter and the spacebar to start again and the second time always works... Now my idea is to make a large logic file with 5 or 6 tracks with of course tempochanges. These will be placed in parts where I put some pads or so as camouflage but still once the new tempo reaches to new rythme I am afraid it screws up the synchronisation ! Apart from that, what I want to do live is to treat the tracks with the effects so this should not drop out !!
This was intentionally the question, do you people estimate this is possible ? Are there people performing this way ?

Message 7/8             30-Jan-03  @  06:47 PM   -   RE: Logic performer

Scott

Two thoughts:

(1) Polyphonic Audio Instruments and FX will chew up more CPU overhead than static audio tracks.

I run a PIII 850MHz (100MHz bus) with 768MB RAM, and I peg at around 70% when running around 10 EXS-24's (around 8 for percussion, 2 polyphonic instrument leads), and 3-4 native Logic effects. And a bunch of MIDI tracks, too, but they don't eat up much CPU resources. If I start pushing this setup any further, I get ASIO Overload errors, and the entire Logic sound engine hiccups and stops with an error message.

I wouldn't be caught dead playing live with Logic as my main sequencer / sound source for this main reason...

(2) Your idea of creating one huge Logic file would work in theory, but here again, if you are sticking with this plan, I would advise keeping the audio instruments to a minimum, *DON'T* use any Logic reverb plug-ins, and use primarily MIDI tracks driving an external hardware synth. Essentially, make your live setup as robust as possible by minimizing CPU strain.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Message 8/8             31-Jan-03  @  09:20 AM   -   RE: Logic performer

ton

thanks
one of the other ideas is to make a large midifile and have that played by my Kurzweil, after sampling all tracks in it, that way I don't even need a computer !
But I'd like to see where I am in a track and switch effects live.
I think I will make a slightly different live setup with a maximum of 4 EX24 drumtracks, all the other instruments will be coming from hardware.

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)