aaa yet another pc..... - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: yet another pc.....

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             07-Feb-03  @  10:28 AM   -   yet another pc.....

k

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

aha! - zazza gave me a broken down athlon 1200 yesterday... odd fault, it works sometimes, then the power supply will suddenly stop feeding the board next time you switch it on - no green led lamp etc - you can unplug it, fiddle a bit and sometimes it'll come back on and sometimes not.... it's got a gigabyte board which seems quite nice (never had a gigabyte board before)... blue... ami bios with a dual rom bios backup - nice bios - anyways, hopefuly it'll be the PS and not the board.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             07-Feb-03  @  02:54 PM   -   RE: yet another pc.....

Anex

Have you taken the PSU to bits? Unless you've got caps leaking or sumthing a PSU fault should be fairly obvious. When you say a broken 1200 you mean a system not just a chip?

Message 3/5             07-Feb-03  @  04:39 PM   -   RE: yet another pc.....

Si

Link?: Link

Gigabyte do nice boards - they've got this facility for updating the BIOS that you can connect to their website, it'll check your current BIOS revision, and download and install the latest version. All you gotta do is reboot.

Message 4/5             07-Feb-03  @  06:12 PM   -   RE: yet another pc.....

Yonce N Mild

check that the case is not shorting out the board. I had the same problem and it took ages to figure out. Turned out that one of the raised spots for bolting the mboard to the case was just barely touching the back of the motherboard. It was totally random and completely infuriating..

Message 5/5             08-Feb-03  @  01:06 AM   -   RE: yet another pc.....

dr_bubble

I've had similar experiences to Yonce N Mild's Experience. Make sure you only use as few screws as possible as they may be touching the case and grounding it out. This probably wouldn't be causing intermitant problems.

***I would also check/replace cables, ensure that the memory/CPU is seated firmly, all cooling fans are turned on (Could be an overheating problem) in the Motherboard and that the Drive Cables are tight.****

We have quite a few computers here at work with bad IDE cables that sends our systems into chaos when they get hot and loose. (The reason I found this out was that the company who sold us these boxes actual HOTGLUED the IDE cables in place so they wouldn't move around as much) A few systems would hang because of these faulty connections, and bad cables (Memory, IDE Cable, PCI Boards not seated correctly, & CPU) during usage and send my Linux box into Kernel Panic (In Windoze terms "Blue Screen Of Death").

IF there was a bad connection with these cables the computer would sometimes not even turn on.

IF you are still having problems with the powerup thing you should try and unplug ALL cables and cards (even the video unless it's build into the MB), Memory, and ensure that the motherboard is the only thing connected to the Powersupply and turn it on to see if the power stays on constantly for a few hours. Start by adding a peice at a time waiting a few hours per peice until you find the component that is triggering the power supply to shut off. Process of elimination. If you've got the time.....

Good luck and hope these tips help diagnose your problem!

Cheers,

Matthew

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)