aaa SX - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

17-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: SX

Viewing all 51 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message 1/51             12-Feb-03  @  02:01 AM   -   SX

horizens

Link?: Link

File?:  [image]

[image file]

rules.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/51             12-Feb-03  @  09:00 AM   -   RE: SX

influx

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

heh. apparently no one agrees with ya

Message 3/51             12-Feb-03  @  12:46 PM   -   RE: SX

man called clay

Link?:  No link

at the mac forum there are still those which stand by sx to the end....but they seem to be in the minority. i've also heard sx is a more logical approach than logic. i'm accustomed to the cubase format so sx would be a nice leap but not if it's buggin out...and lacks support.
plus i hear the logic synths...at least the esx1 is far superior.

Message 4/51             12-Feb-03  @  02:24 PM   -   RE: SX

milan

sx has that nice waldorf A1. but thanks to some nice people i can now use it in logic too ;)

Message 5/51             12-Feb-03  @  07:15 PM   -   RE: SX

horizens

[image file]

well, i finally bought it and had heard the
stories about bugs on mac, but so far so
good. i love it. it runs so smooth. has a ton of
great features. there are loads of vsti for it.

Message 6/51             13-Feb-03  @  01:29 AM   -   RE: SX

man called clay

let me know how this goes. i hate to move away from cubase without a thought since steinberg has went far to develop something that i've enjoyed in even it's 4.0 version for nearly ten years now. i think logic is cool though i've never seen it work nor do i know anyone from the company etc.
i like cubase still.......hey...what the fuck????...ford...chevy....whatever gets you to the job right?!?!?
again....keep us informed how it goes.
good luck.

Message 7/51             13-Feb-03  @  02:32 AM   -   RE: SX

influx

you know...clay...going from old cubase to SX is basically like learning a new sequencer anyway so if youre on mac...logic is an option still

SX is barely linked to old cubase versions. Its practically only the name that stayed the same

Message 8/51             13-Feb-03  @  04:23 AM   -   RE: SX

man called clay

sometimes i think i'm gonna get one old ass pc with
2 mb ram and jam cakewalk dos again!

: )

Message 9/51             13-Feb-03  @  04:59 AM   -   RE: SX

influx

theres always an atari with cubase. solid as fuck for midi

SX is dope tho, man. really works well. despite what the bitches at cubase.net are cryin about all the time

Message 10/51             13-Feb-03  @  06:06 AM   -   RE: SX

man called clay

i figure by the time i'm ready.....sx will have resolved most of it's wrinkles.
and i'll also be able to afford logic on a separate computer...and i can dream or whistle or take a bath and all my automation tasks will be performed without me lifting a finger...and my songs will still sound naive as a schoolboy tripping on some girl's lashes.
so yes...the atari>

Message 11/51             13-Feb-03  @  04:03 PM   -   RE: SX

knowa

hey it's 4.1 that I have. I dunno where 4.7 came from. maybe I d/l'd an update? anyway

Message 12/51             13-Feb-03  @  05:25 PM   -   RE: SX

man called clay

there's no 4.1 download....
the steinberg update path dies...i've looked hi and lo and repeatedly>and am okay where i am for now.
i got too much stuff happening to worry about it.
i'd be interested in the 4.1 if you don't need it, though.
i was thinking i never heard of 4.7.
thanks noah.

Message 13/51             15-Feb-03  @  11:54 PM     Edit: 16-Feb-03  |  01:39 AM   -   RE: SX

R.A.T.

Influx man, respect and all that but I gotta disagree   moved from VST to SX 6 months ago.

SX is the same as VST to use, just easier. Offline processing, automation etc. If you know VST well it will take you maybe 5 minutes to get to grips with it.

(Got to be carefull there. I hope I havn't copied anything from SOS by 'accident' heh heh).

I havn't used Logic so I'm not gonna make any comparison on quality, horses for courses and all that, but it does look like quite a different approach to Cubase. Quite a big step.

Message 14/51             17-Feb-03  @  03:48 AM   -   RE: SX

man called clay

what does offline automation mean, exactly?
i hear this term used a lot but haven't any understanding what it means.

Message 15/51             17-Feb-03  @  04:57 AM   -   RE: SX

influx

dunno..its really 'not' the same. maybe not 'new' to where youd have to re-learn it..

anyway...clay..not offline automation. offline processing. you right click on an event or part and you can process it in place

only problem is not being able to hear it in the mix. they REALLY need to come up with a "process in place" button that applies mixer FX so you can get something sounding how you want it and then bounce it down

Message 16/51             17-Feb-03  @  09:50 AM   -   RE: SX

horizens

[image file]

influx, all you have to do is select the part that
you want to bounce, hit 'p' and then hit bounce
selection. set up a key command for bounce
that makes sense to you.

i think that sx carries some of the better layout
and functional features of previous versions,
expands upon them and makes them simpler.
plus there are loads of navigational shortcuts
now. the process history is killer. the hitpoints
feature is very cool too.

i'm stoked on sx. runs smoothly with reason.
haven't had any majorproblems except for the
installation. when you upgrade, don't plug in
the dongle and you're set.

Message 17/51             17-Feb-03  @  12:24 PM   -   RE: SX

man called clay

thanks influx...in other words....i have an audio segment
i want to adjust an eq on...i can process with an outside editor without leaving the sequencer?
this sounds cool....the issue here is whether you can monitor it in place as you edit.
this would seem to be a very nice feature.
hey....i'm learning something everyday here!
and horizens...thanks for posting about your positive experience with sx....this is helpful>

Message 18/51             17-Feb-03  @  06:50 PM   -   RE: SX

influx

horizens...bounce doesnt apply inserts, sends or anything like that.

export audio mixdown does...

for bounce you dont need to set the locators either tho. just select the parts, right click and bounce audio selection

clay...you can not monitor when using process in place. Kind of a letdown. but...you CAN just get the mix right and then export audio and create a track with the exported file.

Message 19/51             17-Feb-03  @  08:12 PM   -   RE: SX

horizens

[image file]

that's what i meant. export audio.

Message 20/51             17-Feb-03  @  08:25 PM   -   RE: SX

influx

yeah, but thats just lame. other progs have it where you can just freeze right there in place

sonar

logic

bleh. oh well. I still like SX

get your terms straight, son 

Message 21/51             02-May-03  @  02:52 AM   -   RE: SX

k

thought i'd ressurect this thread.

Spent some 'quality time' alone with SX recently, and I am VERY impressed.. I hate to say it but I think , bugs notwithstanding, this is the best one now... it's so damned logical doncha find?

you can do so much on just the arrnage page, the way the tracks headers all are so easy to manipulate... the folder tracks are easy to add/remove from and moromproff, the automation is a joy.. the keysets are great and it's screensets work!!

Impressive! - everything I want it to do is simple it seems...

one superiority over logic seems to be that when moving edit nodes around, they don't 'stick' like the logic ones do, it's so simple

amazing!

what are you getting bugwise guys? - including external sync/clock issues or internal s/w ones etc - is that all fixed

I tell you I'm blown away by it tho, and the look is superb!...

Message 22/51             02-May-03  @  06:14 AM   -   RE: SX

psylichon

ew k.... yer a DAW whore! Quit cheatin' on that lovely lass, Sonar, and you'll see she's got the tightest native snatch available. And the price... it's so DT!

Pffff... fuck it... use what you want. See if I care.

psy

Message 23/51             02-May-03  @  02:52 PM   -   RE: SX

k

like I said - SONAR will only be viable to me when the glitch is gone and when the snap works properly on the arrange-page, plus a few other dumb gripes.

However.... SX... it does those things as you'd expect - has node based editing and does rewire2!

that's all I want from my chosen sequencer... If Cakewalk get it right then sure... sonar it is!

I DO have a rewire problem with SX tho it seems... other at Cubase.net have the same problem of a hanging REASON when rewiring to SX

Other potential SX bugs I obviously didn't get time yet to discover, BUt my two HUGEST gripes about VST have been fixed

dissapearing windows and the use of so many different windows for things was my huge irritation, and they way they'd always dissapear and not stay-on-top

Now VSTi panels and stuff like the VST-i RACK feature an 'Always on top' option - superb!!

also the screensets really work well & update well!

Also unlike SONAR, I get to CHOOSE what qwerty keys I want to use for key-commands... SONAR limits me to THEIR decided & limited selection... another SONAR problem for users in commercial studio's required to utilise more than ONE application to satisfy clients

a studio-owner like that will ALWAYS want the same key-commands for all his app's for the same basic commands

i can do that with Logic & SX, but now with SONAR sadly which seems just plain stupid.

The FOLDER TRACKS in SX now really rock too it has to be said... VERY easy to use now with full-on 'drag & drop', both IN and OUT of folders.

I might becaome a convert!!

Now do you see how Cake are really not very clever -

at a time when Logic force users to another programme by switching to Mac only, us logic users look for a new app' - SONAR really needed to be ready and on the ball for this

Now I need or rather, want to switch app - SONAR has small silly issues, SX doesn't (notwithstanding any bugs I didnt discover yet) - but basicaly ALL the gui of SX works fine.

So here is me wanting to crossgrade - I might end up with SX just because of a few silly things in SONAR which annoy me and don't make pro working easy!

Bad business move imo by Cake.

Message 24/51             02-May-03  @  06:09 PM   -   RE: SX

R.A.T.

Well said  

Never used Sonar so I'm not gonna slag it, but gotta agree about SX. Its the dogs danglies.

No bugs at the moment, I did have major MIDI timing problems but its rock solid now I have a S'berg MIDEX8.

Only thing on my wishlist is a 'freeze' button like Logic 6 but I expect it will be there in SX 2.

Other than that I find it perfect for my needs (OK it doesn't suck cock but apart from that...)

Nice.

Matt

Message 25/51             02-May-03  @  07:24 PM   -   RE: SX

k

it doesn't ? - damn!

I seem to have fixed the rewire thing for reason at least... the general concensus on forums was that one needed to NOT activate REWIRE inputs in SX until after reason was open - it took some cliking on SX to get reason to open at first, some reason things don't initialise until you go back to SX - for some reason just returning back to SX from REASON makes REASON 'un-stick' from hanging on opening.

'Un-stick' ? - yeah it sorta sticks... menu's don't open but it hasn't actualy crashed... odd...

Anyways... Then I had to re-click on SX a few times to get reason to 'un-stick' a few more times as I removed most of the default sound-generators and other stuff until I had just re-drum and one subtractor...

Then after finaly getting REASON ready & the cables patched that I wanted to the rewire-interface, I finaly get to press start on SX... sure enuff for the first few times, REASON kicks in and starts to play/move - i deselect the clock/midi sync thing a few times and eventualy it latches and reason stops trying to play when I hit play on SX...

and that's it... I been running 'em both now for 2 hours, no probs at all... only one thing now

HOW do I control REASON synth controllers in SX?... how /can you get a node-edit lane/track for any reason synths to do realtime moves?

even activating reasons subtractor cut-off control for example and adding a cc move in piano-roll edit in SX with the correct CC number still didn't make the Subtractor cut-off move, neither di moving the sub-tractor cutoff while the SX midi track was in WRITE mode (didnt expect it to, but hell!....)

anyone?... can I do that in SX? - controller moves on reason synths etc on the SX arrange-page?

Message 26/51             04-May-03  @  12:20 AM   -   RE: SX

horizens

[image file]

find the controller # for the reason module, open the
midi part in cubase, open the controller setup, find that
controller and send it to the left list, draw in your curves.

works fine on the mac version.

Message 27/51             04-May-03  @  12:23 AM   -   RE: SX

horizens

[image file]

"even activating reasons subtractor cut-off control for
example and adding a cc move in piano-roll edit in SX
with the correct CC number still didn't make the
Subtractor cut-off move"

odd, that's exactly what i do and it works fine over here.

#74 (brightness) for subtractor's cutoff.

Message 28/51             04-May-03  @  11:07 AM   -   RE: SX

k

yup - weird - I opened the piano roll - selected CC 76 (I assigned 76 to the cutoff in REASON first) - drew in - nothing - weird!

Message 29/51             04-May-03  @  10:40 PM   -   RE: SX

horizens

[image file]

maybe try assigning it back to it's original and then
trying again?

Message 30/51             05-May-03  @  10:28 AM   -   RE: SX

k

yeah, i'll try that - but why would they have an option to change the CC number? - odd

Message 31/51             05-May-03  @  05:34 PM   -   RE: SX

horizens

[image file]

good point.

Message 32/51             06-May-03  @  09:06 AM     Edit: 06-May-03  |  09:09 AM   -   RE: SX

dARKSTATe

Heh!!!  

I'm sure there's a post earler on DT where you just weren't so sure about SX K... ;-)

"....I thought it was well clunky and rubbish compared to sonar or logic, a real pigs ear, it looks like a toy, and the screen clutter i thought was twice as bad as with vst although the buttons to open out the various mixer parts wasn't bad but screen handling was just as crap as on vst imo.... how do you find it?.. i wasnt impressed at all...."

*chuckle*

Still, you're right.. quality time IS needed to find out if its for you or not.. I know RAT and I are rather happy with it (and more productive too)

No major problems I can report with the 1.0.5x release apart from a problem with Bitshift Audio's Phatmatik Pro causing it to crash like a motherfucker.. ah well, I guess there's always Intakt (if its any good) ;-)

Message 33/51             06-May-03  @  11:30 AM   -   RE: SX

k

well, they fixed some of the screenset issues since V1 which is good, and adding the 'always on top' thing is good - it was my irritation that they didnt step out of that thing of having tons of small individual windows for the componants which would always dissapear behind other screens.... now that is sorted out it's nice!

It's amazing how a few tiny changes can make a programme WAY more usuable - which is what I say about SONAR ... it needs those few final tweaks to make it...

Message 34/51             06-May-03  @  01:04 PM   -   RE: SX

dARKSTATe

It'll be interesting to see what improvements comes with the V1.0.6 version slated for a release "soon"..

Gawd only knows about SX V2.0, personally I don't think there's a need for it yet - give 1.x time to mature, then bring out something worth of V2.0 - or is it just blatant cashing in?? Must have continuous, "rapid" release cycle, force users to upgrade, generate MORE revenue....

Message 35/51             07-May-03  @  04:35 PM   -   RE: SX

soulsurvivor

Darkstate - how do you find the midi timing now?

The time ive spent with SX Ive allways found the recorded audio parts (originally external synths played via midi) have been well out of sync and have had to edit each note to get them back on the beat....which sucks. Mind you this was an early version.

Message 36/51             07-May-03  @  04:57 PM   -   RE: SX

dARKSTATe

Hmmm... Midi timing for me has been absolutely ROCK SOLID for all versions of SX I've used 1.0.2 - 1.0.5x

However, I *have* heard this problem by other people. One of my collaborators is running a *very* similar system to me (built them both to spec), and they've had these issues. Tried all the possible SX tweaks (adjusting midi/audio priority in the devices section etc.), and physical tweaks (shorter cables etc.) and still no joy..

About the *only* thing I haven't yet tried, is getting them onto another midi interface, incase the unit they've got is faulty (they're using the midi i/o from the STAudio DSP2000 which again, is just fine on my system)

Message 37/51             07-May-03  @  08:15 PM   -   RE: SX

influx

ok..I have a new one...CPU jumps.

Im running a project right now with about 20 audio tracks, and 4 midi tracks running VSTI (one instance each of junglist, oddity, triangle and A1)

not running that many host-based plugs (a couple instances of opcode fusion filter and some other VERY small ones. The rest are on the UAD-1)

when I open the project fresh, the CPU starts at about 15%..then about6 measures in it jumps up to 45% with spikes up to 80!

the WinXP perf meter shows the CPU go from zero to 50% just from OPENING cubase with this project open and then jumps up to 90-100%

super slow redraws, crackles, everything

and up til now I was in perfect shape! I havent changed anything either!

Disk stuff in SX is set to 8 buffers at 64k, running 24bit with 5.8ms latency

crikey. wtf!

Message 38/51             08-May-03  @  03:10 AM   -   RE: SX

psylichon

Dude, that's pretty low latency for that amount of work. How fast is your system? My 1800 couldn't handle that with those buffers. Why not go up to 50-100 ms if you're on to the finishing stage. You're not playing softsynths in realtime anymore, right?

psy

Message 39/51             08-May-03  @  03:22 AM   -   RE: SX

influx

dunno holmes. Ive had a few other projects with similiar track loads etc and the meter would run at about 30%

but youre right..not playin live VSTi.

it really seems like its THIS project causing it...I was afraid the dreaded SX mystery was rearing...

Message 40/51             08-May-03  @  04:21 AM   -   RE: SX

psylichon

weren't peeps having difficulties with certain plugins going nuts on the CPU for no reason? Anything new or different, plugin-wise, in this session compared to usual?

Message 41/51             08-May-03  @  05:13 AM   -   RE: SX

horizens

[image file]

i would defrag if you have a lot of edits in there.
especially with all of the going on. the spikes sound like
the disk is trying to jump around loading the files.

Message 42/51             08-May-03  @  05:15 AM   -   RE: SX

horizens

[image file]

especially if you didn't change anything and it was
playing fine before. did you open other projects and
work on them? or delete other things fromt that drive?

Message 43/51             08-May-03  @  09:38 AM   -   RE: SX

dARKSTATe

Gotta agree with Psy dave, that's asking a lot of your system at those kinda buffers for 24bit even if you have had sucess at those settings before. If I'm not playing live, I'd always pump the buffers up a bit just to keep things nice and smooth...

Remember, you're *always* gonna have to adjust buffers sometime.. there's never gonna be a one-size fits all..  

Message 44/51             08-May-03  @  05:05 PM   -   RE: SX

influx

point taken. will try

but...I thought the buffers would affect disk performance, not processor?

anyway..nothing new, no changes, drive is defragged (are you kidding, ME? man..Im a maintenance KING!)

Message 45/51             09-May-03  @  04:33 AM   -   RE: SX

psylichon

Buffers affect how much "pre-mixing" is being done before you actually hear it. "read-ahead" if you will. It affects CPU more than disk use. Basically if your CPU can tread water and keep things running without the buffer running out, you're fine. But if you have a heavy plugin going, or lots of tracks and fades and automation and synths to think about, the CPU is gonna need more of a head start.

psy

Message 46/51             09-May-03  @  10:00 PM   -   RE: SX

influx

damn Im a lop. Am I supposed to RAISE the number of buffers and amount per? or LOWER?

tried both just to see and nothing had any influence on the processor meter.

bummer

Message 47/51             19-May-03  @  05:36 PM   -   RE: SX

champ17177

what would u do to get started .see im a rap artist but i would like to learn how to make beats so i can make songs from my house but i dont have a clue in getting started..i can use my midi keyboard but its still not a true song. and i just want a step by step intro to cubase sx so i dont have to buy a book cuz im broke.please someone help me.

Message 48/51             20-May-03  @  08:36 AM   -   RE: SX

dARKSTATe

Yer broke coz you BOUGHT Cubase SX right..  

Mebbe you wanna start with something more "hands on" like Reason, Fruity Studio, or Orion (Pro/Platinum) - of course that means selling your copy of SX, but its all in the name of art right?

They all come with an array of synths, samplers, fx and all within one environment.

Message 49/51             20-May-03  @  05:36 PM   -   RE: SX

Influx

"and i just want a step by step intro to cubase sx so i dont have to buy a book cuz im broke"

Message 50/51             27-May-03  @  06:30 PM   -   RE: SX

Nozza

It's a good app now. Wish you could use more than one drum map at a time though.

Message 51/51             27-May-03  @  07:15 PM   -   RE: SX

digital rust

[image file]

nuendo 2 is shipping now so sx 2 should be coming out
in the next few months with some bu fixes and
improvements.

Viewing all 51 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 51 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)