aaa Where to Start?? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Where to Start??

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             13-Feb-03  @  08:02 AM   -   Where to Start??

nunningnam

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hey.I am a newbie to all of this. I love dance and trance music, and I want to be able to create my own. I have a powerful PC, what do I need to make my own. like programs additional hardware etc. Thanks Heaps guys.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             13-Feb-03  @  12:05 PM   -   RE: Where to Start??

Steve Roughley

You're in luck. This has been covered countless times on this board, so if you do a quick search, I'm sure you'll find what you're after.

Regards.

Steve.

Message 3/7             13-Feb-03  @  12:53 PM     Edit: 13-Feb-03  |  12:58 PM   -   RE: Where to Start??

§ï†ÅR

Link?: Link

You'll need some patience and a willingness to work through the inevitable frustration that comes with the newbie package of figuring out what all this is about. It's a lot to learn. On the other hand it's pretty much fun right from the beginning.

There are countless ways to go and which way you choose depends on your budget/what you want in the longrun.

A controller keyboard is not completely necessary but it's one thing that makes writing your own music much easier. It's what you need to play sounds out of your hardware or software synths. The alternative is a software keyboard to input notes or mouse-clicking them into a staff or matrix on a sequencer.

A sequencer: Sonar, Cubase, Logic, Orion, Reason, Fruity Loops, some others. I'd say Sonar, Cubase, and Logic are the big 3 for all-out-do-everything sequencing. These are the programs that everything else records into and where you coordinate your audio, midi, synths, samples, fx, into a finished piece of music.

Synths and samplers: you can go hardware, software, or a combination of both. Personally I'd recommend the software rout. You get waaaaaaaaaaay more for your money. The variety of available in software is way more than what is available in hardware I believe. And there's tons of free stuff available of the highest quality. Software doesn't take up space. On the downside, most say that playing live is still better with hardware.

Monitors: the best your budget will allow for cuz those are your ears. If you are working in a space that neighbors or family are going to be complaining about the sound, and most of us are in that situation, headphones are good to have. You have to be careful never to crank up the music on headphones too much because before you realize you've damaged your ears seriously, it's too late. You need monitors to mix properly.

All that being said, you don't have to feel like 'Oh shit I have to get all that stuff!". most of us get our gear a little bit at a time and in fact it's better to do it that way cuz you learn what you really want and need that fits your own style through your own experience, and that takes time.

Hope that helps. But like Steve said, search posts here.

Message 4/7             14-Feb-03  @  03:19 AM   -   RE: Where to Start??

nunningnam

wow shit, thanks heaps dude. That was a big help.
Ummm, can you tell me what a sequencer is?? and where can I get one. And what is a software keyboard?? Like I said, I am VERY new to this.
And also, where can I get software synths? Thanks again guys.

Message 5/7             14-Feb-03  @  12:11 PM   -   RE: Where to Start??

§ï†ÅR

Do a search hear in the plugins section. You'll find freebies. I did a review on one called Triangle 2. There are lots others. I'm just familiar with that one.

a sequencer, also do a search here. you can go to http://www.cakewalk.com and read up about Sonar.

A software keyboard is just that. You get the image of a keyboard on your monitor. You mouse click a note to play it basically.

Message 6/7             14-Feb-03  @  02:09 PM   -   RE: Where to Start??

99devils

Look through the articles and do a search. K has lots of good newbie type tutorials around this site. Take a good look.

-Craig

Message 7/7             14-Feb-03  @  06:29 PM   -   RE: Where to Start??

knowa

Link?:  Link

read those articles of course but I think Reason is a great way to start. it's cheap, easy to use, and you can learn about hardware through it. for less than 300 bucks you can make complete songs that you'll think are great now and then be really embarassed by next year. but next year, Reason will still be useful, even when you have other gear. and you don't need a fast computer. my too sense.

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)