aaa Newbies q's - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Newbies q's

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3             18-Feb-03  @  08:55 PM   -   Newbies q's

Runningman

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

If you hate newbies look away now...

For the last 8 years I've been doing sample based music with Cubase 3.1, an old P333 and an Akai S2000. I now want to start experimenting with VST but need a decent soundcard.

I've been looking at the Terratec DMX 6Fire as a medium spec card. Any thoughts?

Also in the future I will be wanting to record directly from a mic so will I need to upgrade my PC as I've heard a slow(er) machine will find it hard to keep up.

I'm assuming this new set-up will also make my Akai redundant?

Thanks, RM

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/3             19-Feb-03  @  09:13 AM   -   RE: Newbies q's

dARKSTATe

Link?: Link

Quick question, but why are you looking at the Terratec card? Was it the combination of features that interested you? (number of inputs/outputs, cost etc?)

A low latency, ASIO2 compatible card will go some way to making your system suitable for VST instruments, recording, mixing etc. but the machine you've currently got won't allow you do to a great deal simply because its a bit slow now..

A faster machine (say 700MHz and upwards) would allow you to do recording, real time fx, vst instruments etc.. and a soundcard solution WITH mic preamps will also make things a lot simpler for recording vocals if you don't have any external mix amplification (I can't remember if the Terratec has mic pre's)

Message 3/3             19-Feb-03  @  08:17 PM   -   RE: Newbies q's

k

Link?:  No link

it's true. Running VST & a few softsynths will strain a p333 a bit.... it might be worth installing the s/w as a rough guide, but then again, even if you upgrade the pc, you'll still want a good fast asio2 soundcard - upgrading is quite cheap tho

case, ram, cpu/board coller kit bundle and a small new fast ata drive for your boot

canibalise the other parts from the old pc.

even a duron 1000 which is VERY cheap now, is fast and'll run VST5 and some synths & fx fine.

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)