aaa Drum Sub Groups - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Drum Sub Groups

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             24-Feb-03  @  06:17 PM   -   Drum Sub Groups

Dominic

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

You know this technique of sub grouping drums, well......... how do you guys do it? Do you:-

1. send all the drums to bus 1&2 and flick out the L&R main bus button on each drum desk channel or......

2. send the drums to a sub group but still monitor back the original drum channels aswell as the compressed sub group drums?

I think I remember psy saying something about doing number 2 cos of dynamics but I could be wrong.

Cheers ladies.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             24-Feb-03  @  07:53 PM   -   RE: Drum Sub Groups

psylichon

Link?: Link

You can do it either way. It's all in what kind of sound you want. Serial compression will pump harder if that's what you want. Parallel compression will be more subtle but can be quite huge sounding with experimentation.

psy

Message 3/10             25-Feb-03  @  12:39 PM   -   RE: Drum Sub Groups

BJT

Parrellel causes phasing issues?

Message 4/10             25-Feb-03  @  01:07 PM   -   RE: Drum Sub Groups

milan

my latest thing is sending drum sounds to different busses making other sounds pump with compression, then sending all of them to another buss to add even more compression and even more "pump". its a ballancing act, but it can be cool if you manage not to squash life out of everyhing.

Message 5/10             25-Feb-03  @  06:44 PM   -   RE: Drum Sub Groups

Dominic

Its soooooo bloody annoying that my stereo compressors don't have sidechain inputs. I wanna pump my compressors in time with one of the house loops I'm using. Grrrrrr!!!!

Message 6/10             25-Feb-03  @  07:58 PM   -   RE: Drum Sub Groups

psylichon

yeah you do have to be concerned about phase issues with parallel processing good point

Message 7/10             28-Feb-03  @  01:00 AM   -   RE: Drum Sub Groups

k

You can use both of course... drop in/out individual drums and also work on 'blocks' too the composition of which you can, mix and match - but for that you need a channel MUTE switch, the L/R button dont cut it cos when it's IN the signal is going direct to the master l/r out as well as to the routed sub-group/buss of choice - so if you drop a group the individuals will still remain in the L/R master out.- channel mute switch...mmmmmm (homer voice)

Message 8/10             28-Feb-03  @  02:58 PM     Edit: 28-Feb-03  |  02:59 PM   -   RE: Drum Sub Groups

Steve Roughley

Just for an example here's how I nearly allways group my drums (and bass as I feel that bass always does well to considered as part of the drum mix to some extent):

Kick to bus1 (comp).

Bass to bus2 (comp sidechaining from bus 1 [kick]).

Snare and Clap to bus3 (comp).

Hats to bus4 (comp).

Then I'll send bus3 and bus4 to bus8 (comp sidechaining from bus1 [kick]).

I leave a gap between 4 and 8 for any extra percussion that I might want in there.

Regards.

Steve.

Message 9/10             28-Feb-03  @  03:20 PM   -   RE: Drum Sub Groups

milan

that sounds reasonable. i do simmilar things, although for dnb i actually use the snare to pump the bassline, makes it stand out better.

Message 10/10             28-Feb-03  @  05:39 PM   -   RE: Drum Sub Groups

Filthy McNasty

Hiya Dom. This is what I do:-

I usually fill the first 14 channels of my Mackie with drum stuff. This all gets squashed with Logics compressors where need be. Then I send all the drums into my 1st stereo comp via buss 1&2.

My bass gets shoved through a mono compressor via an insert.

Then I shove all my soft synths (music) through my 3rd stereo comp via bus 3&4.

Then everything gets put through my Mixmaster via the main mix inserts. I only squash the whole mix by about 3db though.

Hope that helps.

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)