aaa Bloody yanks - The lounge forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: Bloody yanks

Viewing all 131 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14

Original Message 1/131             15-Apr-03  @  02:51 PM   -   Bloody yanks

Jock Munro

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

http://english.aljazeera.net/topics/article.asp?cu_no=1&item_no=2292&version=1&template_id=277&parent_id=258

I know as individuals you are cool. But your government really are a bunch of cunts, and I wish I could be put in a ring with that Ronald Dumsfield. Looks like they wanna pick a fight with Syria now, are they mental or something ?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/131             15-Apr-03  @  03:16 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

broken silence

Link?:  No link

and you got this from where?

Message 3/131             15-Apr-03  @  03:39 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

bedwyr

Link?:  Link

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,937034,00.html

Message 4/131             15-Apr-03  @  05:47 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

influx

you want to fight em?

well get in fucking LINE, aight? I've had it up to here with these bastards doing whatever they please regardless of what the PEOPLE who are supposed to be the true heart of the govt, say!

fuck em. it really is time to revolt or time to leave. I dont want to leave. I like the Rockies too much.

hmmm.

Message 5/131             15-Apr-03  @  10:05 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

man called clay

my father died this day...tax day usa...in 1969....nixon was so drunk during my pops spy-flight into korean airspace he couldn't even answer the oval office's red phone.
he was face down.
this shit ain't nothing new. it's all greed and pigs at the trough and who's got the biggest army and
nicest looking news anchors. shiny toyotas and mercedes.

nevertheless.....i'll shout for jack against donald...he's the biggest bastard of the entire administration......even worse than the boy king.

looked at all those graves today....those who died for this great bit of real estate...the lie...
wow....what deception governs our lives.

oh...the declaration of independence.

Message 6/131             16-Apr-03  @  12:00 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

Jock Munro

yep, it certainly is Donald whose a big used tampon.

Message 7/131             16-Apr-03  @  01:12 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

Conscience

No Jock, you're wrong. He's not a USED tampon. That would suggest that he had some purpose which was fulfilled. I would suggest he's a BROKEN tampon. Good for nothing. Yeah - he's the worst of the bunch. And he'll pay come election time. I REALLY doubt we're going into Syria. Something dramatic would have to happen - but it's been all over the news around here. Lots of speculation, but at this point, I think it's mostly the press picking up on something small...

Message 8/131             16-Apr-03  @  01:20 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

d

the guys who stole the election? the ones who turned a surplus into a deficit? the ones who believe they can forcibly inflict "pax americana" on the rest of the world? mental? ya rilly think so?!?!

Message 9/131             16-Apr-03  @  01:36 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

pict

I'd liken Rumsfeld to a toxic suppository.

Message 10/131             16-Apr-03  @  03:00 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

Trillium

I don't trust anyone without eyes.
DR has no eyes.........so weird................

Trills

Message 11/131             16-Apr-03  @  03:43 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

Broken Silence

broken tampon  

Message 12/131             16-Apr-03  @  07:16 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

man called clay

can't wait for this kitty kelley book on the bushes. she's so great. i hope she's writing fast.

Message 13/131             16-Apr-03  @  08:24 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

Filthy McNasty

Hmmmmmmmm. Neo Conservatives.

Message 14/131             16-Apr-03  @  10:51 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

cheddar

bloody yanks hmmm

Message 15/131             16-Apr-03  @  10:56 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

Bastiaan

If the yanks are truely bloody a tampon is exactly what they need..isn't it?

Message 16/131             17-Apr-03  @  08:06 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

Home office

Keep in mind people, they flew a plane into the
PENTAGON!!!. That's Rummies home office. I don't like Bush or his administration, but consider this. They attacked the central military headquaters of of the most powerful country in the world. Would you run up to an armed police officer on the street and try to wrestle the gun out of his hand. Bang your dead! Russia never even tried a stunt like that! I consider this worse than the trade towers, because it is an act of war. Now granted bombing half the planet may not be the best response but how does a country with a HUGE military deal with such an attack. Americas foreign policy is built on muscle not diplomacy. Bush seems bent on sending a message to all would be terrorists. No matter what the cost. Diplomacy takes years, bombing takes weeks. No matter what really happened chances are the truth will be sqaushed and buried so deep the world will never get the whole story until long after were all dead. If all the conspiracy theories I have read are true Bush and his administration should all be tried for war crimes and executed. If all the right wingers are right, and countries like Russia, France, Germany and Syria are selling weapons, night goggles, ect. to Americas enemies then we still have a huge problem. Either way the world is really screwed up. There are no winners here. Did anybody see the boy in the hospital who had both arms blown off waving his stubs to his relatives? Hideous...............

Message 17/131             17-Apr-03  @  09:35 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

cheddar

Who are " they"

why do we eat what "they" serve

let them have their cake and eat it

Message 18/131             17-Apr-03  @  10:14 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

Jock Munro

I dunno what the US is worried about. Those terrorists cocked up big time. I bet Bin Laden cringed, he asked them to hijack a few planes and the stupid bastards crashed them within minutes. Durrr.

Message 19/131             17-Apr-03  @  01:25 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

BJT

Quit the yank bashing guys! Take a look at your own administration.

Message 20/131             17-Apr-03  @  01:37 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

Home office

The war on terrorism is largely an overgeneralized response to a particular event. FDR said the only thing to fear is fear itself and this is driving a good part of the war. Now that Americas walls have been breached this allows those in charge to speculate 24/7 about what MIGHT HAPPEN based on their intellegence reports! We know for a fact that evil WMD exist out there somewhere, ergo, they might land here. The realization of this possibilty after 911 is what has created this whole nightmare. Because we were attacked we can only assume it might happen again. If you sat around all day thinking of all the ways you might be killed you would never leave your house. If America were hit with a smallpox epidemic it could cause global chaos. People would be afraid to go to work or to the store or anywhere. Foreigners wouldn't fly here for fear of getting sick. Commerce would begin to shut down. Stores would run out of supplies. The fear of getting smallpox would be far more paralyzing than the actual event. The airport where Sars broke out in China is now empty. Smallpox is far more contagious and deadly than Sars. Terrorism isn't just about bombs and death its about creating fear(terror)! Even if Bin Laden is dead his goal has been reached.

Message 21/131             17-Apr-03  @  03:18 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

Jock Munro

aye. thats true alright.

Message 22/131             17-Apr-03  @  03:20 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

k

Keep in mind people, they flew a plane into the PENTAGON!!!.

really?.... er... see link

http://www.asile.org/citoyens/numero13/pentagone/erreurs_en.htm

Message 23/131             17-Apr-03  @  03:31 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

Bastiaan

Sure K, this thing was SEEN by many people flying into the building, it's been taped by a security cam, tracked by half the nations ground controls, etc.etc.etc. Next thing you know some idiot will be telling the '4000 jews that didn't show up at work on 911 in the twintowers' story again.

Message 24/131             17-Apr-03  @  03:41 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

Bastiaan

http://www.snopes2.com/rumors/pentagon.htm

http://paulboutin.weblogger.com/2002/03/14

Message 25/131             17-Apr-03  @  05:23 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

errata

Oh, don't be fuggin' naive kids... America IS going to Syria... And possibly Iran! But definately Syria Unless we see some SERIOUS change in that country's policies FAST!

This shit with Syria is EXACTLY the way these bastards did Iraq. It started with some simple reasons for why they are a problem... then some solutions that are clearly ineffective, then we were off to the UN. Do not assume the US will look to the UN this time either... the balls rolling, we were very "successful" in Iraq... and for the most part allthose protestors capitulated to the fear in this country and shut up when the bomb s started falling! The bastards in this country have adeptly managed to turn support for individual military personnel into tribalist, nationalism. If you don't support the War, this administration and ALL of it's decisions you don't support the troops!

We WILL go to Syria, count on it! And I'm again embarrased to be an American.

e

Message 26/131             17-Apr-03  @  05:27 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

cheddar

fair enough e but then youl get bored with being embarassed and something else will come along

if the past is boring then history is a waste of time - don't they know

Message 27/131             17-Apr-03  @  05:49 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

Broken Silence

hahahahahahahhahahaha

who ever said that there wasnt a plane is on ing crack. I SAW THE FUCKING THING HIT IT! or the large plane-like floating bus which caried my friend's mom who died in there.

thats not even a joke thats disrespect.

also whats odd is my father would have been working in one of the direct offices. The one day in about 2 years that he didnt go to the pentagon, he was at the FBI building...weird shit

Message 28/131             17-Apr-03  @  06:47 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

99devils

I can't vouch for the Pentagon but one of my best friends watched the second plane hit the towers in NYC. He sent me some digicam pics of it. Fucking frightening. I used to stay with a frend 2 blocks away. Thank God he moved to Jersey before this happened.

-Craig

Message 29/131             17-Apr-03  @  06:56 PM     Edit: 17-Apr-03  |  06:56 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

psylichon

please k, tell me you posted that as a joke. otherwise, you're trying too hard to hate america  

Message 30/131             17-Apr-03  @  08:09 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

knowa

are there any picture online that clearly show the plane in the Pentagon?

anyone hear that Bushwacked record with the Bush speech cut-ups?

mp3's here:

http://www.smallfish.co.uk/shop/sf/browse.asp

Message 31/131             17-Apr-03  @  10:25 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

bradelectro

File?:  [image]

[image file]

shite horizontal scrolly shite on that asile.org
site...dont trust poorly designed websites ;-)

Message 32/131             17-Apr-03  @  10:34 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

errata

Oh, Cheddar, quit your generalizing. We all know Americans are disassociated, fat, pale faced bastards slinging dirt at the gladiators and shouting, "Off with their heads"...

We don't need you to remind us.

e

Message 33/131             17-Apr-03  @  10:45 PM     Edit: 17-Apr-03  |  11:08 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

Fhalyndon'gan

"Keep in mind people, they flew a plane into the PENTAGON!!!."

I second the question. Who are "they"?

Its stupid ignorant cunts like this that push me to the fucking limit. I am fed up with the ignorance of the majority of Americans. I never realized what a bunch of unenlightened uneducated backward fuckers the majority of Americans are. It disgusts me to a degree that is hard to communicate.

I wonder how many Americans have a clue about Bedouin culture or any other tribal culture for that matter. "Oh yeah man, like, tribal. 'Burning Man', right.?" Democracy in then Middle East? Keep dreaming and reading Maxim or Spin or whatever the fuck it is that passes for reading material in that sad pathetic imagination that makes you feel you count for something. Americans don't have a clue about Arab culture and never will because it would require them to discard their self-centered puerile world view yet we are supposed to "lead the way" to democracy. Hey, here's clue: not everyone believes in Western ideals. Some people actually have values and customs that are older than ours, values and customs as highly regarded in their culture as ours are in America. After 911 the question, "Why don't 'they' like us", was asked for a very brief time. THEY DON'T LIKE US BECAUSE WE DON'T RESPECT OTHER CULTURES. This is pretty much bourne out by historical fact and is what this country was really founded on. That was a tough one wasn't it?

Do the majority of Americans even care about the postwar reconstruction contracts with Haliburton. Do they even know why they should care??? NO! Do they care about the implications of contracts between Iraq, Germany, France and Russia prior to the war??? Huh? What??? Pipelines and Afghanistan??? Umm? Are we still in Afghanistan??? The vast majority of Americans are ignorant wastes of life. Don't blame Bush or Rumsfeld, blame the "majority", blame the insipid cretinous louts who blindly wave the flag shouting "rah rah" for NO OTHER REASON than the fact that they are "Americans". They don't even have a clue as to what that means.

I heard someone at work talking the other day about how we were "kicking ass' in Iraq. Well, NO SHIT you stupid ignorant piece of shit. Like it was ever a question. Like anyone in their right mind thought for a minute that we wouldn't be able to route the Iraqis. WE'RE THE LARGEST MILITARY POWER IN THE GODDAMN UNIVERSE! This guy made me feel like we should put people like him who are spouting this ignorant brainwashed patriotic rhetoric against a wall and...
What makes it all the worse is you cannot communicate with these people because all they can respond with is propaganda or "patriotic" rhetoric. AAAAAARRRRRHHHHHHGGGGGG!!!!

Okay I'm feeling better, thanks everyone for allowing me to vent.

Message 34/131             17-Apr-03  @  11:03 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

psy the american

every time i see the title of this thread, it evokes an image of masturbating too hard.

forever upholding american stereotypes,

...psy

Message 35/131             17-Apr-03  @  11:38 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

milan

broken silence... your dad works for the pentagon AND the FBI??

you serious? we better watch our mouths then :/

Message 36/131             18-Apr-03  @  12:31 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

snurt

of course his dad does, duh! that's why Fox News is
"the only respectible news channel".

Message 37/131             18-Apr-03  @  12:42 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

influx

keep in mind that very few cultures respect other cultures

one of the sad traits of human-ness. Americans dont own the title to that one (theres just more of us)

there are ignorant people everywhere (we just have more clout and privilege so it gets spread worse)

we're not all that ignorant. youre not the only one that wants to punch the JOCKS who act like the murder of war is a fucking football game, k?

Message 38/131             18-Apr-03  @  01:10 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

Fhalyndon'gan

"JOCKS who act like the murder of war is a fucking football game, k?"

Good point, well taken. It's funny you mention jocks because this guy happens to be a sports fan. That spectator sport mentality about the war is simply another reason the loath Stupid People. "The Art of War" makes the point that victory is not cause for celebration but mourning. Victory costs lives and the taking or losing of life is never cause for jubilation.

I realize not all Americans are ignorant, I'd like to think I'm one of the more enlightened ones (not much but enough) but it does seem there are more Stupid People than the rest of us. I'm completely boggled at times by the measure of ignorance I witness around me. Part of me would like to take a dig at the South where I currently live but I realize that would be unfair because I've been in just about every state in this union and Stupid People are everywhere.

Message 39/131             18-Apr-03  @  01:30 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

influx

well..like I said..and to be honest Im a bit sick of hearin it...its NOT JUST AMERICA, homey!

people are stupid EVERYWHERE, for the most part. we aint been taught right from the very start 

Message 40/131             18-Apr-03  @  02:29 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

n3

As an educated, and somewhat wise young man, I have accepted as duty to have as many children as I can support. I see this as doing my part to combat the rates at which stupid is outbreeding smart. I once believed otherwise, but its now a war against stupidity and ignorant culture for control of the planet, and the fate of our species.

Our opponent has quite a head start.

Message 41/131             18-Apr-03  @  03:46 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

influx

heh. but...see...EVERYONE thinks theyre smart! I live in SoCal and...the way these fucks...oh man the arrogance!!!!

so...heh...

Message 42/131             18-Apr-03  @  09:35 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

Bastiaan

What's 'socal'?

Message 43/131             18-Apr-03  @  10:07 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

Garuna

Southern California......

Message 44/131             18-Apr-03  @  11:54 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

influx

land of the fake, home of the shallow

Message 45/131             19-Apr-03  @  12:49 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

Zazza

enough of that anti-californian rhetoric influx!

Message 46/131             19-Apr-03  @  05:57 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

influx

heh. nah. you can bag on SoCal all you want

funny thing is...southern california is truly the epitome of American arrogance, self-centeredness and all that. the westward movement that ended (for the most part) with the settling of socal...its like its some sort of filter...a final destination for all that is lacking substance

Message 47/131             19-Apr-03  @  07:09 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

moonunit

goooo tooo saaaan frannnn cissscooo

sorry, couldn't resist

Message 48/131             19-Apr-03  @  07:46 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

influx

shit. I shoulda extended my comment. SF is just as full of shit as LA is.

people think theyre special cuz they move to fuckin SF...as if its virtuous in and of itself. bah!

conclusion: cities suck 

Message 49/131             19-Apr-03  @  10:12 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

errata

Yeah, Influx, they do in California. You're dead right about both LA and SF. LA takes itself FAR too seriously, home of the SUV driving liberal. The people who have the luxury of pretending they can see beyond their blinders.

And dead on with SF, as well... I've tons of friends in SF, most are very cool. But every scene I've witnessed in the bay area is SOOOOO fuggin' full of itself! Like just because people manage to pay Exhorbitant rents, and still have a social life makes them superior! hehehe

No I love the people in SF as much as the city itself... but, man... you're definately on to something there!

e

Message 50/131             19-Apr-03  @  11:01 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

H office

Just to clarify, (they) being members of the Al Quaeda network, 15 Saudi Arabians and 4 Egyptians, purportedly working under the direction of Osama Bin Laden. I don't support Bush, Bin laden or any other of the multitude of wackos in power controlling our world today. I'm just observing all this crap from my bedroom on TV and find it hard to believe this is the planet I live on. What are we supposed to do. Vote, protest, pray, meditate. None of it seems to change things much. Who needs a drink?

Message 51/131             20-Apr-03  @  12:06 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

Def Z

Influx - please don't think that SoCal is representative of the rest of the US.

Message 52/131             20-Apr-03  @  01:10 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

man called clay

totally stereotyping people in this region would be like stereotyping people of the east coast or iraq or england or germany or africa or anywhere. sure idiots abound. thank god they're spread somewhat evenly throughout the world....though there seems to be an extreme abundance of them particularly in washington dc and the texas area.

Message 53/131             20-Apr-03  @  02:50 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

influx

I didnt say it was necessarily representative, but it does, in many ways represent what the US is all about. Try to deny it all you want holmes, but its true.

Message 54/131             20-Apr-03  @  04:03 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

BJT

> Who needs a drink?
No thanks I got really sh*tfaced flying back to Oz over the pacific, 8 scotch & cokes, 4 beers, 2 wines. SARS has scared everybody away from Singapore, so it was more p*ss for me, thankyou British Airways I will never forget you.

I'm sorry but the hostess said she smelt alcohol on my breath but when I say I've only had 2 drinks I mean it, and turbalence can account for alot of stumbling around seen!

Message 55/131             20-Apr-03  @  04:23 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

influx

ha!

Message 56/131             20-Apr-03  @  12:59 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

Bastiaan

"totally stereotyping people in this region would be like stereotyping people of the east coast or iraq or england or germany or africa or anywhere. sure idiots abound. thank god they're spread somewhat evenly throughout the world....though there seems to be an extreme abundance of them particularly in washington dc and the texas area. "

Hahaha...lol...

Message 57/131             20-Apr-03  @  03:41 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

man called clay

funny, eh??!!!....but that ain't stereotyping...it's a well-known fact which can be documented vis-a-vis my study which i'm presenting to the danctech geopolitical survey committee this week.
the basis for my conclusions are purely scientific.

btw....an easter quote for BJT>>> from horace (65-8BC):
no poem was ever written by a drinker of water.

LOL!
but again...it's true!

Message 58/131             20-Apr-03  @  08:12 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

Defector z

Influx - isn't it fairer (and truer) to say that it represents the WORST of what the US is about? I mean, spend some time in the midwest and down south, and you might be hard pressed to find a group of people like those in SoCal. I expect SoCal to be a charicature...

Message 59/131             20-Apr-03  @  08:29 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

influx

well, homey...a caricature is accurate. a caricature takes existing aspects and inflates them

we are technically agreeing. Youd have to read my Undergrad thesis to understand what Im gettin at but I spent a LOT of time studyin this stuff...

Im not claiming that a guy in Fargo and a guy in Newport Beach are identical

what I am saying is that Southern California is...a culmination...of pretty much everything america stands for. Greed, shallowness, superficiality, selfishness..

BAH! you say. well, sorry my man but for the most part that IS the heart of america, and yes it is horribly inflated here.

there are good things that are accentuated as well. A desire to achieve (what? ), adventurousness, physicality, creativity (believe it or not there are certainly people doing neat things here )

you can argue til youre blue in the face but...if you just look at the history of westward expansion...where does it end? California. and SoCal is the amalgamation of all that movement.

Message 60/131             20-Apr-03  @  09:15 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

man called clay

we are everything good and bad about america> but, more than anyone else, due to our geo-climatic
good-fortune....we are perhaps the most spoiled people in the word.
words like narcissism and vanity certainly come to mind. gee...i'm on the inside...i get to help build these magnificent houses. oh, the things we become.
and somehow i like these houses.....and yet i certainly have no mind to need something so giant for myself. and then i think of those places where having chicken is a luxury.

Message 61/131             20-Apr-03  @  10:19 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

Defector z

Email me your undergrad thesis - I'll read it.

Message 62/131             21-Apr-03  @  02:41 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

influx

you wanna in come over and put it in electronic form?  I TYPED IT ON A TYPEWRITER! 

hey clay..you live in socal dude?

Message 63/131             21-Apr-03  @  03:00 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

man called clay

it sounds like i'm about a 2 hour drive from you influx.
we should try to meet sometime.

Message 64/131             21-Apr-03  @  03:26 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

influx

not sure if thatd be a good idea based on the schizophrenic interactions we've had on here! 

where are you then, SB? or south

Message 65/131             21-Apr-03  @  05:39 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

man called clay

san diego.
i was just kidding anyway.....i think human interaction is an atrocious and unnecessary thing as it is.
it's unfortunate we ever have to find ourselves in it....yes?
just kidding again influx.
yeah...i'm pretty scary.
haha.
but red says it's no fun smoking alone.
okay...so i watch.
what's a bro of nearly twenty years to do?
well...there are occasions.

Message 66/131             21-Apr-03  @  05:52 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

psylichon

"what's a bro of nearly twenty years to do?"

relax and enjoy, of course... lovely youth ;)

Message 67/131             21-Apr-03  @  06:15 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

influx

heh. well..I dont smoke weed either so I cant help red out.

I got famalama in SD...lemon grove? GHET-FUCKIN-TO!

Message 68/131             21-Apr-03  @  03:00 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

man called clay

psy: he knocks on my door after 10:30pm without a phone-call and needs a jacket. this is standard.
or he forgot to eat dinner.
or is thirsty for a beer and wants me to bust some tracks. standard. always very late and never a warning. if he weren't an old friend...it'd seriously be like...huh? sorry...we gave at church last century.
that's what a bro of nearly twenty years has to do with it.

Message 69/131             21-Apr-03  @  04:26 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

knowa

"there is no there there"

this was said of oakland but I think it applies to CA in general.

the difference bewteen LA and yogurt?

yogurt is an active, living culture.

influx, I often feel that same way about hip NYC. style over substance etc. I think the geography is secondary. in an anti-intellectual consumerist society, the most affluent sectors of the population--i.e. most successful in the cultures own terms--will illustrate those qualities in extremes. you'll find the most privileged people in the world, resources galore, actively avoiding rational and/or critical thought in favor of Weapons of Mass Distraction on 19th Century Fox. or forming elite subcultures of rebel consumers to distinguish themselves from the proles who watch trashy TV unironically. hey, at least you've got nice weather out there.

I like the baffler's mission statement, "to blunt the cutting edge"

PS what a "typewriter"? ;)

Message 70/131             21-Apr-03  @  04:31 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

99devils

I may be in SD in October for the Macromedia DevCon.. Hear it's nice there but I've never been.

-Craig

Message 71/131             21-Apr-03  @  05:18 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

influx

san diego is really cool, and lots to do downtown. the people are friendly for the most part and it seems like it never goes over 70 near the coast, but blue skies abound 

Message 72/131             21-Apr-03  @  06:15 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

99devils

Good.. Being pale-skinned and red-haired that'll save me the nuclear-strength sunblock  

-Craig

Message 73/131             21-Apr-03  @  07:13 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

errata

Don't be fooled by the illusion. It's easy to burn In San Diego. It's right on the coast, so there's a nice breeze and decent cool air, but SUNNY! And the burn'll come without warning.

e

Message 74/131             21-Apr-03  @  07:26 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

influx

oh yeah...dude...sunscreen. just cuz its not blazing hot doesnt mean it aint clear as FUCK

the cali coast has a way of...its just so damn CLEAR (in spite of the SMOG somehow..altho SD isnt that bad)

if you happen to be here the 1st friday of the month theres a REALLY fun breakbeat club called Dragon Lounge. Chicks galore, evabody groovin. fun for all

make sure you let us know when youre out here. Love to tip a few with ya

Message 75/131             21-Apr-03  @  09:25 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

errata

Hey Influx,

Is Dragon Lounge in LA or San Diego? I'm down there ALL the time!

e

Message 76/131             21-Apr-03  @  09:45 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

99devils

Believe me, I know I'll need sunscreen, just not the 56 SPF  

I will let you guys know. I'm not sure of the exact date of the conference, or if it will be feasible to attend (the boss has hinted it will be)

-C

Message 77/131             21-Apr-03  @  10:26 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

influx

Dragon Lounge is in SD at Brick by Brick. B-Side puts it on. Its been fun every single time Ive gone.

theyre doing some other stuff now too...tantra sutra and something else. SD representin breaks and jungle!

heh. Met a girl down there once, too...I had the HUGEST crush for the longest time. Sheri.

stupid bitch gave me her number then never even gave it a shot. I hate it when they do that. pointless

Message 78/131             21-Apr-03  @  11:19 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

errata

Cool, thanks

I'll be in San Diego this summer. Talking to a club owner about playing in July at this place down by the marina.

In LA all the time... often for a few days at a time. Never much to do, cause I'm there on work and there's no time to look around.

e

Message 79/131             22-Apr-03  @  12:08 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

influx

not even enough time to deliver a long waited for reciprocation?

Message 80/131             22-Apr-03  @  12:16 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

psylichon

lol.

influx, that sounded just wrong... you should clarify!

hehe, jk of course...

psy

Message 81/131             22-Apr-03  @  12:25 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

errata

No no no! I owe Influx something, and I've been a real lazy bastard about it!

Check your mail, Influx.

e

Message 82/131             22-Apr-03  @  12:30 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

psylichon

still sounds a bit lewd to me...

Message 83/131             22-Apr-03  @  12:31 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

Fhalyndon'gan

"...forming elite subcultures of rebel consumers to distinguish themselves from the proles who watch trashy TV unironically."

It really has come to that hasn't it? Enlightened, intellectual, rebellion has finally been quantified, commodified, and turned into the ultimate irony. I guess those are the same people who have shelves of unread books in their homes. No point in reading them because you can read the sleeve and a few reviews on the web? I never understood that. You go to someone's pad, see a few cool books then ask about them only to discover they're unread. Next time you see them you bring up the subject matter and find those books are still unread. What's the point? Have books become the Ansel Adams prints of the new millennia?

Whew. I'll take tangential rants for a thousand please, Bob.  

Message 84/131             22-Apr-03  @  12:33 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

psylichon

Who's Bob? It's Alex...

Message 85/131             22-Apr-03  @  12:42 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

Fhalyndon'gan

All game show hosts are "Bob" deep down inside.

Message 86/131             22-Apr-03  @  12:49 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

errata

Just like construction Contractors!

e

Message 87/131             22-Apr-03  @  12:52 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

influx

well that was a fuckin funny stretch of thread!!!!

sure did sound scandalous what I wrote. it aint

and..HA! BOOKS!

I know quite a few people who have BIG OL BOOKSHELVES with books they have NEVER touched hardly!

Dunno...Id rather live near a badass library than BUY books

Message 88/131             22-Apr-03  @  12:53 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

Fhalyndon'gan

Who would have thought that construction contractors would have such reverence for Bob Barker....

Message 89/131             22-Apr-03  @  12:59 AM     Edit: 22-Apr-03  |  01:14 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

Fhalyndon'gan

"Id rather live near a badass library"

I tend to be very abusive toward my books. To the point that I would end up buying them anyway out of guilt. Riding a motorbike all my adult life has put a strain on anything that's been tossed into the backpack or saddlebags.

Message 90/131             22-Apr-03  @  03:38 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

influx

ah! NOW I know who you are!!!

heh. I think little d hinted at it once...I was wonderin

Message 91/131             22-Apr-03  @  04:36 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

man called clay

i have tons of books...some are unread (of course) but i like used books....authors like studs terkel and h.l. mencken and biographies and autobiographies of alduous huxley and charlie chaplin and well...all kinds of orphans i've bagged and dragged home. malcolm x....nelson mandela....norman mailer...kurt vonnegut.
astrology, history, art...music.
errata...i'd invite ya over since you're in sd but since you got something against guys who build houses and work WITH THEIR HANDS for a living......maybe coffee?
i used to play brick by brick when it was the spirit.
damn...that place...the ghosts there!
craig...sunblock...and if you're towards the south part of town......

Message 92/131             22-Apr-03  @  06:43 AM     Edit: 22-Apr-03  |  06:51 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

rhyze

Dagnabbit! Foiled again. Darn kids, I would have gotten away with it...

What tipped you off?

Message 93/131             22-Apr-03  @  06:58 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

errata

the motor cycle!

Hey, MCC... I NEVER said anything against Contractors! Just that they all are named BOB! Not the people who work for them, but the actual guy, with the rack on the truck and the magnet sign that says B&B builders or whatever. THEY are always named Bob... or at least, they should be!

I'm not in SD but I'm sure you're reading the other thread as well, so I won't be redundant. I'll just add, I don't EVER intend to get anyone pissed (except maybe Jamie back when he was pumpin' up the rave act, buth that's IT,   )

Nothing I say should be taken too seriously.

e

Message 94/131             22-Apr-03  @  07:33 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

influx

yup. the motorcycle

Message 95/131             22-Apr-03  @  02:08 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

knowa

preaching to the choir for $1500 please.

hi rhyze.

Message 96/131             22-Apr-03  @  04:46 PM     Edit: 22-Apr-03  |  04:47 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

rhyze

(hangs head and sheepishly replies in his best Niel voice)

"Uh, Hi guys...

Dinners on the floor again."

Message 97/131             22-Apr-03  @  10:23 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

Defector z

Books suck. What a tremendous waste of resources. What percentage of books actually get read more than once? And what do you do with them once you are done? Donate them? Well, certainly libraries don't have enough room for 16 copies of Lady Di's unofficial autobiography...

Message 98/131             22-Apr-03  @  10:40 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

i bite for you

are you fUcking serious with that question?
tremendous waste of resources my ass. and you're
having children.

Message 99/131             23-Apr-03  @  12:24 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

pict

DefZ I don't fancy reading War and Peace or any other substantial work of literature from a computer monitor.Books rule,Screens suck for reading purposes.

Message 100/131             23-Apr-03  @  12:46 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

Fhalyndon'gan

Ya know, I like to follow Chomsky, Miller or Fussell with a little Herbert, Laymon, or Koontz myself. Waste? Like movies, there is a place for both poignancy and popcorn and I'm not takin' my lappy hiking with me simply to read a book. When I'm done? They become part of my own personal lending and trading library. Litereary recycling anyone? This all makes me think there is a reading subculture with its own customs and traditions much like the "indie music" subculture, making and trading mix tapes among a circle of friends and acquaintances. I've never thought about it that way before. Hmmmmm, very interesting.

Message 101/131             23-Apr-03  @  12:48 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

influx

DZ, Im assuming you were takin the facetious route with that one?

Message 102/131             23-Apr-03  @  01:03 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

Defector z

Settle down folks. I'm not questioning the value of the contents, come on now - I been around enough to know. But think about it. I have a WHOLE BUNCH of books, as do most of you, and all they do is collect dust. I'm sure many of your books do the same thing - can you honestly say that you've gone back through your books to reuse/recycle? I don't have a better answer - computer screens suck, and having read War and Peace a couple of times, I can't imagine reading it on a computer monitor, but just think about it. Lots of trees cut down every year...

(Unfortunately, I think I've dug a hole here that you folks won't let me climb out of...)

* I bite for you - grow up.

Message 103/131             23-Apr-03  @  01:04 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

errata

I hope so... what's great about books is that they are there when you're done with them. To be lent around, or handed down to children. The only thing left of a culture or a people is what they write down when they're gone.

You know, there's this real concern because the national archives and the library of congress are comitting everyhting to disk. Pretty short sighted I think, to assume the future will have IBM compatible cd rom drives in it!

e

Message 104/131             23-Apr-03  @  01:49 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

Bob

The only book that matters is The Bible

Message 105/131             23-Apr-03  @  03:18 AM     Edit: 23-Apr-03  |  03:19 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

Fhalyndon'gan

"Bob" is of obviously referring to "The Book Of Subgenius".

Message 106/131             23-Apr-03  @  03:46 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

d

ah, c'mon Fh... (i'm still working on the pronunciation), cut him a little *slack*

Message 107/131             23-Apr-03  @  04:43 AM     Edit: 23-Apr-03  |  04:55 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

Fhalyndon'gan

C'mon, I spelled it out for ya. Don't try too hard though its gonna change soon out of respect for Pict, Bedwyr and the other shee.. oops, I mean Welsh folk. Its all fun and games till someone puts an eye out ya know. Ahh, if only the family name had stayed "Dafis" I too could use words (authentic ones having meaning) with arcane and mystic spelling conjuring up images of a world long forgotten (as opposed to simply forgetting the previous night's inebriated behavior).  

Message 108/131             23-Apr-03  @  05:31 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

man called clay

i guess there's a great deal of waste when you think about how much paper gets used on books about janet jackson etc...more new yurk city cop with girlfriend stories etc.....but mark twain, albert einstein, carl jung, albert camus, hemmingway, shakespeare, douglas adams, herman hesse......this stuff is gold to me...the meaning of life contained therein. i have my king james version sitting next to the hitchiker's guide to the galaxy (gold embossed version...waste of gold embossing...blessed be). in a world most rapidly becoming dictated by commercial interests vis a vis the media....it's conceivable that even owning a copy of prison memoirs of an anrchist or 1984 would be illegal.....just like owning a dixie chicks cd!
well...THAT should be illegal. heh heh.
next topic...the waste which is plastic.

Message 109/131             23-Apr-03  @  06:44 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

cheddar

adverts=triple waste - 4+ colour HQ print works + creation of want+perpetuation of classic dodgy stereotypes (girl on car bonnet!) - what a waste, books. If we make the jump to paperless - who thinks they will not re-edit - US English only anyone?

Message 110/131             23-Apr-03  @  07:00 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

man called clay

yes true cheddar...but alas...the feel of an old book's pages rustling under one's fingers on a blanket in a meadow on a sunny windswept day...perchance you must know this small ecstacy?
or is it so painful one chooses to forget?

and alas....waste is but a by=product of existence .i.e...we eat...we excrement. breathe in, breathe out....basically...everything's a waste but not if you can only enjoy just a bit of it.
especially with art....isn't this the domain of the nonfunctional?
so why make excuses?
just rustle her pages.

Message 111/131             23-Apr-03  @  08:44 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

cheddar

I explain me wrong - i dig books, the whole idea and fix in existance of publishing, the idea that anzone can do it and the idea of an end of a job (with the efforts to complete) and freedom to move on, all is fine. My gripe is that if we questioin books value based on waste then there are a million bigger killers, like ads.., cars, military - fvckin stop me

I believe that art is the only thing that justifies our existence, ALL of the rest is just people spoor and i don't believe anything is worth the waste we generate to get it

Message 112/131             23-Apr-03  @  09:04 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

Zazza

If you have books gathering dust give/sell/swap them to a secondhand bookshop/community library etc

That way

a) You get to read more books

b) Poor people get free books

c) etc..

Message 113/131             23-Apr-03  @  02:20 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

99devils

I only buy the stuff I'm going to re-read.. Tolkien, the Dune Series, the Vampire Chronicles.. I have a Melville collection and a bunch of computer books.

I'd hate to read from the screen. I'm in front of the computer too long already.

-Craig

Message 114/131             23-Apr-03  @  03:43 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

man called clay

taking a book to bed to read before la-la land is one of my greatest joys. my bed is sultan-sized (and never made) and has a ton of books scattered about and a few manuals and music tech rags. yeah...the printed word. and yes...i love lending and giving books away...but what i really hate is to lend/give out a book to someone who "pretends" to read and find out a year later they never even touched it.

the obligation being towards television "information".

Message 115/131             23-Apr-03  @  05:29 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

errata

Heard something cool last night...

"The nightly news serves only to ruin the suspense of the morning paper!"

I love it!

e

Message 116/131             23-Apr-03  @  07:24 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

influx

I only own a few books. most of them are kerouac.

I fucking LOVE books. Sad that..yes...they use up resources

if only our self-criticism were UPPED drastically, then the CRAP that gets published in all fields might be filtered out a bit better? Less waste!

Message 117/131             23-Apr-03  @  09:13 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

99devils

That's unfair though.. For example, a lot of people think 2001: A Space Odyssey was an amazing movie. It put me to sleep. So who get's to decide if it's a waste of film?

-Craig

Message 118/131             23-Apr-03  @  09:19 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

moonunit

a warning about books.

"when the lights are out,the books boogie and multiply"

you have been warned

you see,it's always nice to have a hard copy of a document. it can't be altered.

a court,u.s.a.

judge (to lawyer): please, present the evidence

lawyer (hands a floppy) here your honor.

judge : where's the hard copy ?

lawyer: it burnt in the towers your honor.

in many a court room near you, soon.

Message 119/131             24-Apr-03  @  04:53 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

influx

craig

2001 was obviously not just capricious CRAP.

so fucking many things in the US and the world ARE, and theres NO way to fucking argue against it.

who's in charge? EACH FUCKING INDIVIDUAL. drop the arrogance. drop the opportunism and profiteering, and truly make an effort to put GOOD out there...

damn..its just so fucking easy to make things right. the tiniest shift in focus would yield the most incredibly results, but FUCK THAT cuz everyones gots ta get theirs.

Message 120/131             24-Apr-03  @  05:44 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

man called clay

people used to try to bring me down....saying...what? you trying to change the world are you? and i'd say...no but if i could move reality over just one inch and the next person could move it an inch...and if we all moved it an inch....
and to this day i'm still aiming for that inch.
i don't know if that's realism optimism or defeatism... but even that inch seems like a huge undertaking sometimes.

Message 121/131             24-Apr-03  @  06:22 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

cheddar

nice

Message 122/131             24-Apr-03  @  02:13 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

99devils

Put it this way Dave.. My band practices in this building with like 20 other bands.. Out of the 20 bands, I'd think maybe 3 aren't total shit and a complete waste of the plastic their CDs are burned on, BUT ALL OF THEM THINK THEY'RE GOOD!!!

-C

Message 123/131             24-Apr-03  @  03:29 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

knowa

yeah I don't like 2001 either but not in the same way that I don't like No Doubt. there's no accounting for taste but there's wisdom in ridiculing crap.

Message 124/131             24-Apr-03  @  06:03 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

influx

heh. right craig, I know. but...the fact of the matter is..theyre ALLOWED to think theyre good. no one tells people when they suck anymore! and people dont bother analysing their own efforts for the most part.

the new motto seems to be this:

"because I can I should and because I did it's good"

honestly! now...of course theres no real way to monitor this sort of thing, but Im talkin ideally here again. stupid innit

Message 125/131             24-Apr-03  @  08:31 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

99devils

I understand perfectly what you are saying, and I agree with it, but at the same time I recognize the sheer total impossibility of it  

Message 126/131             24-Apr-03  @  09:40 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

errata

I have this theory that all that crap is a direct result of feel good buddy parenting. Never tell your child they're bad! Support every attempt or you'll break their confidence?! Be there friend, not their guardian! Blah fuggin' blah!

e

Message 127/131             24-Apr-03  @  09:59 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

influx

feel good EVERYTHING. even friends dont criticize anymore.

a society full of fucking yes-men. disgusting

Message 128/131             25-Apr-03  @  06:41 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

99devils

no  

Message 129/131             25-Apr-03  @  06:52 PM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

influx

essackly

Message 130/131             26-Apr-03  @  02:06 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

milan

i agree to dissagree  

Message 131/131             26-Apr-03  @  02:18 AM   -   RE: Bloody yanks

Defector Z

Y'all suck. Just quit. Whatever you think you are doing. You suck.

Feel better?

Actually - I dubbed the generation Y'ers the "feelgood generation". If it feels good, it must be 'right'.

Viewing all 131 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14

There are 131 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)