aaa Removing 20hz from the bass - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

17-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Removing 20hz from the bass

Viewing all 18 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/18             01-May-03  @  08:44 AM   -   Removing 20hz from the bass

Filthy McNasty

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

So I'm supposed to remove 20hz from the bass to free up some headroom?

How would you do this in Logic? Well, what I mean is which eq would YOU use? I don't think the high pass filter sounds that nice. Plus I wanna remove 20hz-80hz on a sliding scale (I know that's not the correct techy speak but hopefully you know what I mean), so theres like 18db of removal on the 20hz bit gradually reducing to no db removal at 80hz. Then I can give the bass a 3db boost at 80hz on my analog board.

Is this the right idea and which ones the best. DJ, fat, track or paramentric. I tried it on the Fat eq but when I cut 18db at 20 hertz, the slope is too steep and actually knocks 3db out of the 80 hz area aswell.

Any suggestions ladies?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/18             01-May-03  @  09:53 AM   -   RE: Removing 20hz from the bass

milan

Link?: Link

FmcN, didnt you have another question that is in need of a reply to a reply?

Message 3/18             01-May-03  @  10:02 AM   -   RE: Removing 20hz from the bass

Filthy McNasty

Come again?

Message 4/18             01-May-03  @  10:14 AM   -   RE: Removing 20hz from the bass

k

cant you get that using two bands of the fat eq, each with a different 'Q' ?

Message 5/18             01-May-03  @  10:14 AM   -   RE: Removing 20hz from the bass

milan

milan? calling milan?

Message 6/18             01-May-03  @  01:43 PM   -   RE: Removing 20hz from the bass

Filthy McNasty

K - I did try that but I was finding that the slope became to steep. I'll have another bash at it tonight though so cheers.

Milan - I thought I remembered you saying in another post that for your basslines you use a combination of the esm AND es2. On well, maybe I dreamt that. Hmmmm. :-) Still though would it be possible for me to attach one of those es2 files up on here for everyone to be amazed at? :-)

Message 7/18             01-May-03  @  04:44 PM   -   RE: Removing 20hz from the bass

milan

nah, i dont use ES2. but i still dont understand what you actually want...

Message 8/18             02-May-03  @  02:16 AM   -   RE: Removing 20hz from the bass

lsw

"Any suggestions ladies? "

You sound like a PE teacher :p

Message 9/18             02-May-03  @  09:24 AM   -   RE: Removing 20hz from the bass

Filthy McNasty

Milan, how come you don't use the es2? Did you mean that you don't use it for just bass or you don't use it ever?

I was wondering myself if I should get an outboard synth for my bass. But then I was wondering that if all my drums come off the exs24 and the bass came off an outboard synth, then I wonder how that would effect the groove cos of the ms delay. I mean some articles I have read say that you should make the bass come in a few ticks later than the drums to give the drum track a sense of urgency. Maybe the natural "midi" delay of say 20 ms would do this for me automatically.

However, the only module that I have listened to that I really like for house style basses is the Korg MS2000. I wonder what else is about?

Message 10/18             02-May-03  @  10:48 AM     Edit: 02-May-03  |  10:49 AM   -   RE: Removing 20hz from the bass

horizens

File?:  [image]

[image file]

are you sure you really want the slope to cut out from
20hz to 80? that's a pretty sizeable space. you'll end up
cutting a fair ammount of the sub freqs that way. maybe
you want to do that. i dunno.

i was actually just having this dicussion the other day
my my brother. wondering how to cut beyond -18db.

don't know if you are on a mac or pc, but there is an eq
plugin called Eqium for mac that will cut well beyond -
18db. also, try curveEQ if you're on a pc.

www.voxengo.com

Message 11/18             02-May-03  @  11:18 AM   -   RE: Removing 20hz from the bass

Filthy McNasty

Cool! Cheers Horizens. My plan was kinda to remove say 18db at 20 hertz then less and less till I get up to no db reduction at 80 hertz. Then I was gonna dial in a 3db boost at 80 hertz via my analog board.

However, maybe I should only go up to say 50 hertz.

Message 12/18             02-May-03  @  12:23 PM   -   RE: Removing 20hz from the bass

beds

Link?:  Link

i thought he said equim. that highpass in logic a a slope thing on it, push that over to the right i think.

Message 13/18             02-May-03  @  12:30 PM   -   RE: Removing 20hz from the bass

milan

yxeah, what he said^^^

or get waves stuff which goes down to -100db and Q 100 or something

FmcN, no i dont really use ES2 unless i stumble across a preset which fits my needs (which is very rare) because a) i like to roll my own, and b) es2's interface totaly fucks me up when i even try to patch something on it. what I do for bass, is use esm or es1 or a1 or something for the very low bass which needs to be tightly synced with the drums, and use h/w for any interesting stuff which goes over that.

Message 14/18             02-May-03  @  01:06 PM   -   RE: Removing 20hz from the bass

Filthy McNasty

Hello Beds. You sarcastic bastard! :-)

Milan, what's an a1? Plus, you use the es1 for bass? Do you start with any patch in particular?

I really like the fatpluck bass but I have to write a bassline up at around the third octave otherwise it sounds rubbish.

Message 15/18             02-May-03  @  02:23 PM   -   RE: Removing 20hz from the bass

milan

eh... A1 is a Waldorf made synth included with Cubase SX, but thanks to some smart people you can now use it without the sx too ;)

umm... as for subbass sounds, or any sounds really, i usually start from scratch so i know exactly how the patch is gonna behave.

but do tell, what are you actually after? you seem to go around and around without actually getting to the point. whassa deal, drop? what are you looking for?

Message 16/18             02-May-03  @  02:31 PM   -   RE: Removing 20hz from the bass

Filthy McNasty

Oh I see Milan! I wasn't sure what you were on about before but you think I am drop or used to be drop. No, he is like my best mate and he told me about DT and gave me his password although I've only ever used it a couple of times to post a jpeg. He has to do a years service in the Israeli army so I'm keeping his DT seat warm till he gets back. Although that's not for another 3-4 months. At least he is alive though!!!

Anyway, back to bass. I'm kinda after something with the weight of the "monster sine" patch in the es2 with the funk n pluck of the "fatpluck bass" patch on the es1. Yes, I have tried to layer the two of them before. Doesn't work well.

How much is this Waldolf soft synth then?

Message 17/18             02-May-03  @  05:54 PM   -   RE: Removing 20hz from the bass

milan

a) sorry, it was beds who thought you were drop b/c of the his login

b) i'm not really familiar with those patches, but have you tried to imitate oscilator settings of the 'monster sine' with envelope settings of the 'fatpluck bass' or something like that? dunno how far you are with synth programming, but maybe its time to get down and dirty with making your own sounds.

c) you cant really buy it, except with cubase xs. unless you stumble across it somewhere on the net. ahem  

regards, m.

Message 18/18             06-May-03  @  11:40 AM   -   RE: Removing 20hz from the bass

Filthy McNasty

Cheers Milan. I agree. I should start rollin me own. Guitar forum master patch builder? :-)

Viewing all 18 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 18 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)