aaa Odd CPU/Heat problem... - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

17-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Odd CPU/Heat problem...

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             10-May-03  @  07:28 PM   -   Odd CPU/Heat problem...

Steve Roughley

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Just upgraded my CPU and mobo to an AMD XP2400+ and an ABIT NV7 nForce board. All works beautifully, but only after the PC has been running for half an hour or so. The thing is, when I cold boot the PC, the processor shows up as "Unknown CPU Type" then I get the message "The CPU is either unworkable or has been changed", I can press F1 to procede regardless and the PC works but it only runs at 1.4ghz (1600+). Once the PC has been running for a while and I reboot, this goes away and the CPU registers correctly.

It's no real biggy, but it would be nice to be rid of this. Any ideas?

Regards.

Steve.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             11-May-03  @  04:06 AM   -   RE: Odd CPU/Heat problem...

psylichon

Link?: Link

Not familiar with Abit boards, but is there an option in the BIOS setup to auto-detect the CPU? If so, and it is enabled, perhaps you can try specifically setting it to your CPU speed. If that option isn't available, perhaps a BIOS upgrade is necessary for the newer chip.

Dunno otherwise. Mucho strangeness, hombre.

Message 3/10             11-May-03  @  11:12 AM   -   RE: Odd CPU/Heat problem...

Steve Roughley

Cheers for the reply Psy. The BIOS is the latest revision and will only allow me to set the CPU speed and Ratio, while the CPU itsself is detected automatically.

I have a feeling that this may just be the motherboard acting up as it is brand new. The CPU may not be sitting quite right yet, or something. I imagine that it may settle down.

Steve.

Message 4/10             12-May-03  @  04:01 PM   -   RE: Odd CPU/Heat problem...

GrooveMonkey

I had the same thing with my mobo, just go into the bios and specify the cpu parameters manually. It fixed my problem..

Message 5/10             12-May-03  @  04:36 PM   -   RE: Odd CPU/Heat problem...

dARKSTATe

Steve, some of these mobos are manufactured quite cheaply and the failure rates are unfortunately very high..

There's every possibility you simply got a dodgy part.. how are you fixed for returns/warranties?

Marc_D

Message 6/10             12-May-03  @  06:39 PM   -   RE: Odd CPU/Heat problem...

99devils

My thoughts exactly. Get the shop who sold it to you on the horn and complain.

-Craig

Message 7/10             12-May-03  @  11:16 PM   -   RE: Odd CPU/Heat problem...

Steve Roughley

Well... bizarrely enough, my prediction is starting to come true. The CPU showed up fine all but once yesterday and has been absolutely fine today. If it does go pair shaped though, I am fine for warranties. It's from Scan.co.uk and they hardly ever even test the items you send back before they give you a new'n. But I'd rather hold on to it and see if it completely straightens out as I can't be arsed waiting for a new mobo to show up.

Regards.

Steve.

Message 8/10             13-May-03  @  08:58 AM   -   RE: Odd CPU/Heat problem...

dARKSTATe

Good luck. Personally, I'd cut my losses and get an RMA number and get that thing back to SCAN asap...

You lose a few days working perhaps, but how much time are you frittering away on this issue already..  

Message 9/10             13-May-03  @  10:21 AM   -   RE: Odd CPU/Heat problem...

Steve Roughley

The thing is that I am in my final month of my Computing degree, so I need my machine literally every day that I have now, so it'll have to wait anyways.

Steve.

Message 10/10             13-May-03  @  01:03 PM   -   RE: Odd CPU/Heat problem...

dARKSTATe

Furry muff! As long as they're good for replacing after your degree is over.... good luck btw!

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)