aaa AMD XP CPU Hits the Wall! - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

17-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: AMD XP CPU Hits the Wall!

Viewing all 13 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/13             13-May-03  @  02:46 PM     Edit: 13-May-03  |  02:47 PM   -   AMD XP CPU Hits the Wall!

dARKSTATe

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Well... finally it looks like AMD's model numbering plan has fallen on its arse!

Toms Hardware benchmarked the XP3200+ and in pretty much EVERY instance it looks
like the thing is actually closer to a *true* 2.8GHz Intel P4. This means its gonna be damn hard to justify the tag, AND sell it to people when that particular chip simply isn't doing anything near what its supposed to..

Funnily enough however, upto about XP2400+ it really does appear as though those
CPUs did go toe-to-toe with the Intel P4s of equivalent speed (And AMDs are much much
cheaper!)

Which is somewhat comforting to us AMD based Musos running on these "Budget" CPUs.. ("2.4GHz performance" being more than enough in my book, and I'm only on a 2100+)  

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/13             13-May-03  @  03:39 PM   -   RE: AMD XP CPU Hits the Wall!

99devils

There are many many many other factors to consider when measuring performance. I haven't read the Tom's article yet, so I can't really comment. But at any rate those numbers are pure marketing. They may as well be a model or part number as they have no bearing on true performance whatsoever.

Besides, I've always thought the true benchmark was speed per $, in which case AMD still wins.

-Craig

Message 3/13             13-May-03  @  04:21 PM   -   RE: AMD XP CPU Hits the Wall!

dARKSTATe

The factors in the review took into account features such as FSB, data throughput, memory bandwidth etc. and these were XP3200+ chips reviewed on the only dual channel 400MHz FSB mobos available...

As I see it, at the time benchmarked XPs upto about the 2400+ branded cpus, were performing in *most* tasks equivalently and in many cases faster than true clocked Intel P4s... This isn't the case with the latest "Barton" class AMD cpus - apparently they've pushed the labelling a little too far in this case..  

Message 4/13             13-May-03  @  06:04 PM   -   RE: AMD XP CPU Hits the Wall!

99devils

Like I said, it's all marketing   People just buy the fastest CPU for the amount of money they hold in their hands. That's always going to be the AMD, as long as they don't make the mistake of watering down the FPU and whatnot..

-Craig

Message 5/13             15-May-03  @  10:30 AM   -   RE: AMD XP CPU Hits the Wall!

Steve Roughley

Link?:  No link

I have to say that the AMD does drastically outperform the Pentiums and even the G3/4 chips in FPU calculations, and they are what really matter for DAWs. I'm not too sure about the new XP680,000,00,00+++++ chips but the last benchmarks I saw (about half a year ago) were showing the AMD XP's to outperform the latest G4 chips at FPU calcs, by up to 25%.

Regards.

Steve.

Message 6/13             15-May-03  @  02:16 PM   -   RE: AMD XP CPU Hits the Wall!

dARKSTATe

Well I think that past a point, the XP being "equivalent" to Intel thing has kinda run out of steam..

Still, like I said upto that point they're damn good and the price/power point is the most attractive thing..

Message 7/13             19-May-03  @  12:29 AM   -   RE: AMD XP CPU Hits the Wall!

Stvy

Hi,

THe AMD performance rating is officaly not supposed to have anything to do with the perforamcne of an Intel cpu...

Its all based on the thunderbird core atlhon. IE the new Barton core XP 3200+ is supposed to perform equivalent to a 3.2Ghz thunderbird althon should one have existed... Yep thats a 256KB cache, 266 MHz FSB etc..

Thats what AMD bases their ratings on...

Pretty much upto the introduction of the 800 MHz FSB P4's the did match upto the PR rating quite well but no longer...

Cheers

Stvy

Message 8/13             19-May-03  @  12:50 PM   -   RE: AMD XP CPU Hits the Wall!

NeLly BaInEs

If you max out a G3278 against an Intell BB267 and caculate the mhz on both than you'll see a 10.l997% squared average. That tells the programmer to use a more advance binary formula. Know what I mean?

Message 9/13             19-May-03  @  01:04 PM   -   RE: AMD XP CPU Hits the Wall!

dARKSTATe

If you've got nothing constructive to add, like the inherant cheesiness of Wotsits verses Quavers then I'll thank you to pipe down and get back to the important business of practising your Justin Timberlake dance steps..

Message 10/13             19-May-03  @  01:42 PM   -   RE: AMD XP CPU Hits the Wall!

NeLlY BaInEs

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, sorry darkstate. Like, are you called darkstate like, cos all your shit's really dark? Ahahahahahahahahahahahza.

Cry me a river, cry me a riiiiiiver.

Message 11/13             19-May-03  @  01:59 PM   -   RE: AMD XP CPU Hits the Wall!

dARKSTATe

If you're referring to the colour of my stools, well that depends on whether I've enjoyed a nice Shiraz with my meal or not...

Though why you'd want to know about the colour of my stools is beyond me... frrrrrrreaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaakkkkk!!!

Message 12/13             19-May-03  @  07:46 PM   -   RE: AMD XP CPU Hits the Wall!

psylichon

lol! he said stools! twice, even!

Message 13/13             20-May-03  @  08:37 AM   -   RE: AMD XP CPU Hits the Wall!

dARKSTATe

*SNORT*  

Viewing all 13 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)