aaa Dance Music in 5 Years - The lounge forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: Dance Music in 5 Years

Viewing all 14 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/14             15-May-03  @  03:11 PM   -   Dance Music in 5 Years

Filthy McNasty

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

So is it going to be that producers/DJ's make music on their computers and then post these tracks up on their website and charge DJ's/punters £1.50 per download.

DJ's trawl round their favourite producers websites and download all the tunes they like, stick them on their computers and then take these computers to the club, plug in and play.

Do you think that record shops and vinyl and pressing plants and distributers are surviving for only the next few years.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/14             15-May-03  @  05:28 PM   -   RE: Dance Music in 5 Years

Steve Roughley

Wow! That is part of my vision of heaven. Lets just bloody hope that that is what happens. We'll have to invent the "Universal DJ Adapter" to enable this plug'n'play world of mixing though.

Regards.

Steve.

Message 3/14             15-May-03  @  07:44 PM   -   RE: Dance Music in 5 Years

errata

people will be dancing!

e

Message 4/14             15-May-03  @  08:19 PM   -   RE: Dance Music in 5 Years

knowa

Link?:  Link

they'll probably have to cut costs associated with production of vinyl, like making records with no holes.

Message 5/14             15-May-03  @  08:21 PM   -   RE: Dance Music in 5 Years

milan

Link?: Link

if you only could sort out music piracy that would be perfect, yup.

Message 6/14             16-May-03  @  08:23 AM   -   RE: Dance Music in 5 Years

dan-s

I feel that record collecting is too big a part of dj culture for that scenario. But maybe I'm just wishing.

Message 7/14             16-May-03  @  09:29 AM   -   RE: Dance Music in 5 Years

milan

sure it is for now, but if you've ever had to carry a >20kg record case around town without a car, you'd be happy if someone offered you an alternative. and also, the choice to buy any tunes the very second they come out without having to rely on your local distributors would greatly outweight any vinyl lust, as is already noticable with younger generation of dj's.

Message 8/14             16-May-03  @  10:06 AM   -   RE: Dance Music in 5 Years

cheds

not sure, plusses say weight to tune ratio, actually getting the tune, end of major label cartel, pish record shop assistants, evolved dj works - mixing tracks rather than tunes (see progression sessions), onsite production, laughing at the vinyl collectors

minuses say automation/automaton, extra weight of equip to mix tracks not tune - bah, getting tracks, back of favourite old record shops, bargain bins

Message 9/14             16-May-03  @  05:17 PM   -   RE: Dance Music in 5 Years

errata

but, in 10 years...

Semi intelligent computers will be able to creatively throw down a live mix with feeling. And work on mathematical principles of sound and tones to effect emotional response.

We'll be "truely" underground, performers who make electronic music the "hard" way!

e

Message 10/14             16-May-03  @  05:42 PM   -   RE: Dance Music in 5 Years

milan

nah, we'll be truly "underground" like those poor guys in matrix running away from the machines in their little junk of a spaceship and making music in spare time when they're not chasing us  

Message 11/14             16-May-03  @  06:21 PM   -   RE: Dance Music in 5 Years

Bye-Bye Man

X. Thanks.

Message 12/14             16-May-03  @  11:23 PM     Edit: 16-May-03  |  11:24 PM   -   RE: Dance Music in 5 Years

Steve Roughley

"sure it is for now, but if you've ever had to carry a >20kg record case around town without a car, you'd be happy if someone offered you an alternative. and also, the choice to buy any tunes the very second they come out without having to rely on your local distributors would greatly outweight any vinyl lust, as is already noticable with younger generation of dj's"

Milan knows exactly what it is all about! I have already used Traktor live for 2 sets now. All of my Vinyl is now in .wav format and my laptop ways a pathetic amount. I can now go for a kebab after my set without a taxi!!!  

And as for the Vinyl collections, the collectors will just keep the vinyl market going. Technology will allow those who are interested to move on. That is how technology gets anywhere.

Regards.

Steve.

Message 13/14             17-May-03  @  10:23 AM   -   RE: Dance Music in 5 Years

milan

Steve, you've played out using tractor and a laptop? can you please tell me more about your experience with it. i'd really like to know how you like it compared to turntables regarding ease of use, cueing, mixing, etc... how does it connect to a regular dj setup (if at all). i'd be quite interested to know. thanks.

Message 14/14             17-May-03  @  12:44 PM     Edit: 17-May-03  |  12:50 PM   -   RE: Dance Music in 5 Years

Steve Roughley

Yeah, I wasn't going to even consider it, but I was watching those DJ Profile programs on Channel4 and two professional DJs were using it in clubs, so I thought I'd give it a go and it worked a treat.

I just sent the Output 1-2 of the EMI into the Channel 3 on the Mixer and was away. I used my mates Spin Doctor to control it (I usually use my Virus, but no way was I takin that to parties), which worked just fine. You can set up all of the important features to be controlled, such as faders, filters and headphone-monitor-levels/mix.

As for ease of use, personally, I feel that Traktor makes it a little too easy. If I carry on using it, I will probably forget how to use decks. The multiple cue point feature (similar to Autocue on the CDJs) is a life saver. I missed the initial cue a couple of times and was able to intantly jump 16-32 bars ahead so I didn't completely cock it all up. The beatmatching is a little more tricky (+-32 is just bloody silly!) and is best done with the mouse. And I just leave the auto-beatmatch and looping etc etc well alone. It isn't as scary to use live as decks (vinyl or CD) as audio data doesn't develop scratches out of nowhere or skip.

I'd like to see more technology like this. I think it is definitely a major part in the future of live mixing. So much can be done with it. I'd like to see an all-in-one digital-audio mixer, with faders, buttons etc included. Traktor could be much further developed, but works just fine. And the filters are great!

Regards.

Steve.

Viewing all 14 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)